Thread: Leaking Injector?

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R

Leaking Injector?

Hey guys, while perusing my engine bay last night I noticed one of the injectors was wet. I replaced the o-rings on all 8 injectors about a year and a half ago and was hoping someone could give me some insight. I've done some reading and seen (mainly on E39's) that this isn't uncommon necessarily.

The car runs fine and doesn't stumble or starter, but I don't need fuel collecting on top of my engine. Are NEW injectors the next step? If so, I've read that it's a manufacturer defect so would expect it to happen again if I replaced them with the OEM injectors..

My Cars
    95 530i (M62B44)
    Can you see it weeping while running? You need to determine if it’s the o ring or the injector itself. You may have merely pinched one of the o rings on reassembly and need to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    More likely an O-ring but if it is an injector I can't see how it should be characterized as a manufacturer defect 23 years later. I've never seen one leak externally.
    "re-man" injectors are cheap and all over the place, if you have to remove the rail might as well get a set and have some improved running too.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    O-Ring defective, never have seen a fuel injector leaking externally. How did you install the fuel injectors last time? Did you install the O-rings dry? That will damage the O-rings. Use Vaseline or a drop of fresh engine oil. Never had any problems myself. But I have seen many where a portion of the o-ring was missing, like this one which we pulled out of an Alpina B12 http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/t...l/CIMG4205.jpg
    Also the quality and material of the O-rings is important, cheapo ones get easily damaged. I use the ones made of Viton. While the o rings are made to be heavy duty, over time they can wear out and cause issues. If the fuel injector o-rings dry up or crack, they can leak fuel vapors = you can smell it from the engine bay. The smell will eventually get stronger as the leak grows larger. The next step is a real fuel leak.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Did my picture get edited out of the post? Hmm...

I installed the o-rings with vaseline. I've performed injector swaps several times and have only had them leak when I tore an o-ring. I have briefly looked at it while it was running, but haven't exactly "inspected" the injector while it's running. I will take a closer peek, I'm near certain it is not the o-ring but I've been wrong before. Pretty darn sure I got the Viton o-rings as well.

I will look closer tonight and let you guys know.