Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 318i Exklusiv Edition (Germany)

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i

1998 318i Exklusiv Edition (Germany)

Hey there, new member here, just saying hi

Ive already posted in the show-off thread but i thought i‘d make my own build thread to keep track of things as they happen...

I recently picked up a 1998 318i in Fjordgrau Metallic with the Exclusive Package and Style 34 (lightweight) wheels. The car has been very well maintained at 150,xxx KM (about 93,000 miles). The previous two owners only had it serviced at BMW and never missed an interval. The M43 is quite underpowered but runs silky smooth and doesn’t leak a drop of anything which is, from what ive read, very rare. Getrag is smooth as well, no grinds and clutch is easy yet grabby. The body is straight as an arrow and the interior is mint. Looks as though the rear seats have never been sat on at all. Fronts are heated and in excellent condition. Lots of other nice options as well like an adjustable steering wheel and ASC. Here‘s a build/options list, in German of course...

Fahrzeugbeschreibung

Fahrzeugangaben
    Fahrgestellnummer WBACA91...
    Typ-Code CA91
    Typ 318I (EUR)
    E-Baureihe E36 (4)
    Baureihe 3
    Bauart LIM
    Lenkung LL
    Türen 4
    Motor M43
    Hubraum 1.80
    Leistung 85
    Antrieb HECK
    Getriebe MECH
    Farbe FJORDGRAU METALLIC (310)
    Polsterung LEDER STANDARD/SCHWARZ (P8SW)
    Prod.-Datum 1998-04-14
    Sonderausstattung
    243 AIRBAG FUER BEIFAHRER
    246 LENKSAEULENVERSTELLUNG MECHANISCH
    255 SPORT-LEDERLENKRAD
    260 SEITENAIRBAG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER
    283 LM RAEDER/BMW STYLING II
    305 FERNBEDIENUNG F.ZENTRALVERIEGELUNG
    320 MODELLSCHRIFTZUG ENTFALL
    341 STOSSFAENGER KOMPLETT IN WAGENFARBE
    411 FENSTERHEBER,ELEKTRISCH VORN/HINTEN
    423 FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS
    428 WARNDREIECK
    431 INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND
    441 RAUCHERPAKET
    465 DURCHLADESYSTEM
    473 ARMAUFLAGE VORN
    494 SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER
    498 KOPFSTUETZEN IM FOND
    510 LEUCHTWEITENREGELUNG ABBLENDLICHT
    520 NEBELSCHEINWERFER
    528 AUTOMATISCHE UMLUFT CONTROLL (AUC)
    534 KLIMAAUTOMATIK
    669 RADIO BMW BUSINESS RDS
    704 M SPORTFAHRWERK
    718 EXCLUSIV EDITION
    738 EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG
    785 WEISSE BLINKLEUCHTEN
    801 DEUTSCHLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG
    863 SERVICE KONTAKT-FLYER EUROPA
    879 DEUTSCH / BORDLITERATUR
    915 AUSSENHAUTSCHUTZ ENTFALL
    971 EXCLUSIV PAKET
    995 AENDERUNGSSPERRE

(Pics from the ad)

1998 E36 318i Exklusiv Edition

(Pics after purchase)

The plan is to keep it a clean daily commuter for now and later swap in either an M52 or S50 depending on what my friend and i can find. Coming from a 325i E30 with a lot of mods i think that will be sooner than later...

So there she is! Fresh and healthy and ready for the daily grind. Thanks for taking a look!
    Last edited by Mplfoster; 10-18-2017 at 02:09 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    Cool color and cool wheels! Looks like it is in excellent shape.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I like the wheels too. Have fun with it!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by jc43089 View Post
    Cool color and cool wheels! Looks like it is in excellent shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    I like the wheels too. Have fun with it!

Thanks guys! Just a daily for now but in the future I’d like to swap it and get some really nice suspension.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i

at work with my buddy’s 5er

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Hallo! Ich bin Hyde und ich Lehrnen Deutsch naja ich morchet deutschland whonen.

Your english is very good, my german will be on par in a few years. Welcome guten morgen aber guten tag..haha, very nice taken care of 318i, its only a 318i but very well taken care of seems, not that you have to work much on it being the M43, I had an M42 one years ago, nice motors, but they are easy cars to work on for the most part, and yours has a manualbox too, Das ist sher gut! So how much did you pay? I ask as I said, I will likely be in the market to buy something in the lines of the E36(328i or maybe M3?), E34(525i), or E39 (525i or 530i), what is cheaper in your opinion? Is the 5 series more available, as in the older E34 cheaper vs the newer E39? How much was your buddies? It looks nice for a E39. Danken!!
    Last edited by MisterM52; 10-22-2017 at 01:06 AM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    Hallo! Ich bin Hyde und ich Lehrnen Deutsch naja ich morchet deutschland whonen.

Your english is very good, my german will be on par in a few years. Welcome guten morgen aber guten tag..haha, very nice taken care of 318i, its only a 318i but very well taken care of seems, not that you have to work much on it being the M43, I had an M42 one years ago, nice motors, but they are easy cars to work on for the most part, and yours has a manualbox too, Das ist sher gut! So how much did you pay? I ask as I said, I will likely be in the market to buy something in the lines of the E36(328i or maybe M3?), E34(525i), or E39 (525i or 530i), what is cheaper in your opinion? Is the 5 series more available, as in the older E34 cheaper vs the newer E39? How much was your buddies? It looks nice for a E39. Danken!!
    Hahaha my english is so good because I’m a native speaker. I met a girl and chased her back to europe. Originally I’m from the US and became an ex-pat about 2yrs ago...aber mein deutsch ist scheisse. Wenn es ums deutsche lernen geht, ich bin sehr faul. I work for an American company here and the common language is English so im not really using it as much as i should. And in the south of Germany most of the people speak at least a little english. I just recently enrolled in a formal language class so it should get much better soon.

I paid €2500 and it came with new winter tires and the TUV inspection (kinda like DOT here in Deutschland) is good until 9/2019 which is a huge bonus. And since its a 318i we wont be spending too much on gas. Its the perfect daily for us right now.

As far as 5er’s go, im not sure since i wasnt really looking for them...but from what i remember they were priced around 2k-5k depending on engine, trim level and condition/mileage. If you’re asking for my opinion I’d say go for a 3 series either E36 or E46. There are a lot of great deals out there and they handle much better than a 5er and they’re better on gas as well. My buddy is a mechanical wizard so he got his E39 from a junkyard with a blown motor for 500. Swapped in a fresh m52b25 for less than 500 so he was initially into it for about 1k, give or take. He’s added suspension, leather interior, m5 front bumper with fogs, x5 wheels and a bunch of other stuff. So im not sure how much he’s put into it in total but i would say less than 3k.

Nichts zu danken! Danke dir für deine Kommentare
    Last edited by Mplfoster; 10-22-2017 at 08:35 AM.

My Cars
    One Too Many

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mplfoster View Post
    Hahaha my english is so good because I’m a native speaker. I met a girl and chased her back to europe. Originally I’m from the US and became an ex-pat about 2yrs ago...aber mein deutsch ist scheisse. Wenn es ums deutsche lernen geht, ich bin sehr faul. I work for an American company here and the common language is English so im not really using it as much as i should. And in the south of Germany most of the people speak at least a little english. I just recently enrolled in a formal language class so it should get much better soon.

I paid €2500 and it came with new winter tires and the TUV inspection (kinda like DOT here in Deutschland) is good until 9/2019 which is a huge bonus. And since its a 318i we wont be spending too much on gas. Its the perfect daily for us right now.

As far as 5er’s go, im not sure since i wasnt really looking for them...but from what i remember they were priced around 2k-5k depending on engine, trim level and condition/mileage. If you’re asking for my opinion I’d say go for a 3 series either E36 or E46. There are a lot of great deals out there and they handle much better than a 5er and they’re better on gas as well. My buddy is a mechanical wizard so he got his E39 from a junkyard with a blown motor for 500. Swapped in a fresh m52b25 for less than 500 so he was initially into it for about 1k, give or take. He’s added suspension, leather interior, m5 front bumper with fogs, x5 wheels and a bunch of other stuff. So im not sure how much he’s put into it in total but i would say less than 3k.

Nichts zu danken! Danke dir für deine Kommentare
    Hahaha! Lol... Das is Toll.

So tell me what made you go for the 318i from the dealer vs lets say a 328i from the private sales? Were you strictly after something pristine? I was thinking private sale would been cheaper apart from the condition, you wont find a ride in this condition that easy, so even at 2500 euros is not a bad deal you know, considering how amazingly well kept it still is..and thats a sedan too. Not much grunt but for what it needs to do, it will serve you for years to come. That said, yea I was also kinda leaning towards a used E36 or a E34(thought it may be cheaper and more motor for my buck). How much is insurance on these older 3 series? I personally dont think I could settle for anything less than a 328i or m3, but then again I am a dedicated bachelor. Speaking of which how much would those be typically, you know there is the listed price and then there is the real price. Seems I got many questions, may drop you a line sometime. although I know a few germans, the outsider view is very nice. u habe sher gut information.

And that makes the two of us. Southern Germany and German Girls. Ich war in liebe deutsche ferulin jhers vor, aber die schreiben nie kommet, nie wieder... and I'm not the only one, Watch out from em, wish you better luck then mine.

good talking, danken und sher willkommen!
    Last edited by MisterM52; 10-23-2017 at 04:57 AM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    Hahaha! Lol... Das is Toll.

So tell me what made you go for the 318i from the dealer vs lets say a 328i from the private sales? Were you strictly after something pristine? I was thinking private sale would been cheaper apart from the condition, you wont find a ride in this condition that easy, so even at 2500 euros is not a bad deal you know, considering how amazingly well kept it still is..and thats a sedan too. Not much grunt but for what it needs to do, it will serve you for years to come. That said, yea I was also kinda leaning towards a used E36 or a E34(thought it may be cheaper and more motor for my buck). How much is insurance on these older 3 series? I personally dont think I could settle for anything less than a 328i or m3, but then again I am a dedicated bachelor. Speaking of which how much would those be typically, you know there is the listed price and then there is the real price. Seems I got many questions, may drop you a line sometime. although I know a few germans, the outsider view is very nice. u habe sher gut information.

And that makes the two of us. Southern Germany and German Girls. Ich war in liebe deutsche ferulin jhers vor, aber die schreiben nie kommet, nie wieder... and I'm not the only one, Watch out from em, wish you better luck then mine.

good talking, danken und sher willkommen!
    It was actually a private seller using his friends showroom. And yes, i was after something not only in excellent condition but something with service records, new TUV inspection, reasonably economic on fuel yet fun to drive and sub-100k miles (150k KM = 93k Miles). This checked all those boxes.

The engine is fine for what it is. And actually as an autobahn car is does quite well. It pulls past 120km/h very smoothly and cruises at 180-200kph easily. So for our needs its perfect.

Insurance prices vary greatly depending on age, driving record and also the engine. I cant remember our rate off the top of my head but its quite low for full coverage (something like 500 euros for the whole year) and compared to the states is practically nothing. I do remember that if we had gone for a 6-cylinder it would have been much more. So that’s something to consider when making a purchase. E34s are dope. But thats a whole other beast. With lots of engine choices you should be able to find something to fit your needs.

as for my girl, she’s not actually german...she’s Afghani. She relocated here when she was 6 after Afghanistan went thru some crazy shit in the 90s.

when do you plan on coming to Germany?

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    ... The engine is fine for what it is. And actually as an autobahn car is does quite well. It pulls past 120km/h very smoothly and cruises at 180-200kph easily....
    180 to 200 km/h are not good cruising speeds for an M43 E36 316i/318i. The engine cooling system is not quite up to that, which a colleague discovered the expensive way. At one point, he asked me if I could add a speed limiter to his engine to save himself from future grief!

Insurance prices vary greatly depending on age, driving record and also the engine. I cant remember our rate off the top of my head but its quite low for full coverage (something like 500 euros for the whole year) and compared to the states is practically nothing....
    Insurance costs in Germany, and I imagine if the U.S, all over the place, so I would not even try to compare them. I just got some rough estimates of what it would cost for me to insure my present car in Seattle, where I did my graduate work, and insurance there appears somewhat cheaper.
    Last edited by johnf; 10-28-2017 at 12:23 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    180 to 200 km/h are not good cruising speeds for an M43 E36 316i/318i. The engine cooling system is not quite up to that, which a colleague discovered the expensive way. At one point, he asked me if I could add a speed limiter to his engine to save himself from future grief!
    Travelling from Frankfurt to Freiburg with the occasional 180kmh cruising speed posed no issues. Engine temperatures were on the cool side, although it was early autumn and ambient temps were low. I should have been more clear that i would not and did not sustain those speeds for longer than a few minutes when the traffic was clear enough to do so. The autobahn isn’t quite what most people in America assume...it’s actually quite crowded most of the time and going like a bat outa hell is harder than you might think. But thanks you for the concern and advice. I’ll keep this in mind for the future.

Insurance costs in Germany, and I imagine if the U.S, all over the place, so I would not even try to compare them. I just got some rough estimates of what it would cost for me to insure my present car in Seattle, where I did my graduate work, and insurance there appears somewhat cheaper.
    Definitely no comparison. Insurance here is very cheap.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Travelling from Frankfurt to Freiburg with the occasional 180kmh cruising speed posed no issues. Engine temperatures were on the cool side, although it was early autumn and ambient temps were low....
    I understand it is an oil starvation issue when you push the engine hard. IIRC, the engine power peaks around 180 km/h, and then it decreases and drag increases until the car can go no faster around 195 or so – plus or minus whatever grade and/or tail or head wind the car is experiencing. My first BMW was an M40 318i, so I am not a complete stranger to the wonders of BMW's two-valve engines.
    Last edited by johnf; 10-28-2017 at 05:24 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    I understand it is an oil starvation issue when you push the engine hard. IIRC, the engine power peaks around 180 km/h, and then it decreases and drag increases until the car can go no faster around 195 or so – plus or minus whatever grade and/or tail or head wind the car is experiencing. My first BMW was an M40 318i, so I am not a complete stranger to the wonders of BMW's two-valve engines.
    Interesting. The gearing of the transmission limits the car to 211kph MAX. Power does drop off at about 5500rpm or 185kph. Pushing it beyond that up to 200 does feel a bit strenuous on the engine. I’ll be sure to keep the v-max sessions to a minimum.
    Last edited by Mplfoster; 10-28-2017 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    My colleagues know whats up..

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    New Meyle control arms, tie rods, lollipops and swaybar endlinks plus bushings. Upgraded to 328i brakes in the front and refreshed them with Brembo blank rotors. New Lemfoerder rear control arm bushings as well. New FK automotive coilovers and Alutec M7 2-piece wheels (AC Schnitzer Type 2 reps). New OEM exhaust (stock replacement because not racecar). It rides pretty decent and the brakes are great too. Steering is sharp and tight again. Looks much better now and is more fun to drive.

Next up is a motor swap. Shopping around for an M52 but not in any rush.

My Cars
    325i '92, Polo 6R, XJ6S3
    Hi man! I really love the FK. Do you have a link?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetron View Post
    Hi man! I really love the FK. Do you have a link?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Sent you a PM ��

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    When I first moved to Spain (in 2011) I bought a 1996 318i M43 for 800 euro, in very good condition.. No rust at all, and it was already professionally repainted (the sun kills the paint after 10+ years in the Spanish sun). Loved the ride and was surprised by the torque and power.. Was a very reliable car and was also able to give a smile, especially it being so light, which makes it handle very well, on the nice curvy roads here. On the highway it was surprisingly nimble/elastic, like you said.. It develops quite some torque in the low revs for such a small engine.

W.r.t. the M52 swap: Best to find a complete, low mileage 328i car that was crashed (without damaging the drive train parts).. Then you can get all the needed parts.. Best to transplant the entire drive train (diff, axles, gear box, brakes, etc).. Oh, brakes you already did.

Good luck! Your E36 looks wonderful!

Is it also free of rust? Most 10+ years old cars in Germany and The Netherlands (where I was born and used to live before) have quite some rust, unless the owner was meticulous in cleaning the car after every drive in the snow/icy weather (removing all the salt), and letting it sleep in a garage.

Here in Spain you can find lots of older BMWs without any rust, just like in California, but the Spanish people in general don't care so much for their cars, so it's extremely rare to find one in such a great condition as yours. I also decided to only buy one if it has a color that's 'compatible' with the Spanish sun ;-) (light grey, etc).
    Last edited by ed323i; 09-09-2018 at 08:12 AM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    When I first moved to Spain (in 2011) I bought a 1996 318i M43 for 800 euro, in very good condition.. No rust at all, and it was already professionally repainted (the sun kills the paint after 10+ years in the Spanish sun). Loved the ride and was surprised by the torque and power.. Was a very reliable car and was also able to give a smile, especially it being so light, which makes it handle very well, on the nice curvy roads here. On the highway it was surprisingly nimble/elastic, like you said.. It develops quite some torque in the low revs for such a small engine.
    For what it is the M43B18 isn’t bad. No real power but it moves the chassis along just fine for a daily driver. In the right hands the 318i is still a great momentum car and definitely has a fun factor to it.

W.r.t. the M52 swap: Best to find a complete, low mileage 328i car that was crashed (without damaging the drive train parts).. Then you can get all the needed parts.. Best to transplant the entire drive train (diff, axles, gear box, brakes, etc).. Oh, brakes you already did.
    I have good connections here and sourcing a complete swap won’t be a challenge. Just need to set a few euros aside and find a reasonable deal. But like I said before, I’m not in any rush. I’m hoping an S50 pops up. They’re going for crazy money right now but maybe I get lucky and find one I can rebuild for a decent price. Otherwise a 2.8 or 3.0 will suffice.

Good luck! Your E36 looks wonderful!

Is it also free of rust? Most 10+ years old cars in Germany and The Netherlands (where I was born and used to live before) have quite some rust, unless the owner was meticulous in cleaning the car after every drive in the snow/icy weather (removing all the salt), and letting it sleep in a garage.

Here in Spain you can find lots of older BMWs without any rust, just like in California, but the Spanish people in general don't care so much for their cars, so it's extremely rare to find one in such a great condition as yours. I also decided to only buy one if it has a color that's 'compatible' with the Spanish sun ;-) (light grey, etc).

Thanks man. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again...it’s a gem and I feel lucky to have found it. The previous owner had taken excellent care of it. Hardly any rust besides some superficial surface rust in common areas. It’s condition hasn’t changed in my ownership. I hardly drove it last winter and while I was under it this weekend I cleaned up what i could. I lived in Washington state on the west coast and they don’t use salt. Here in Germany they use TONS of salt. So this winter I will be very fastidious about cleaning up the undercarriage whenever I can.

Im loving the new suspension and steering components. I’ve been for a couple spirited drives and it’s a real joy to drive. The new wheels and sports tires make a huge difference in grip. I’m excited to drive it whenever I can.
    Last edited by Mplfoster; 09-09-2018 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Chillin with the boys after work..

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    Cant wait to go back!

Now im going to pick up an M52B20 with 155km on the clock. Good leak down and compression numbers. Getting it from a buddy for a steal with engine harness, ECU and motor mounts. Want to do a stoker with M52B28 crank and rods. This is a euro engine with nikasil alloy block. Been reading around and i guess i can re-use my b20 pistons. Can anyone confirm this? Going to do all the basic preventative maintenance while its out and thought it would be a good time to stroke it.

Anyone have more info on this process? A lot of the information ive found is scattered and not really compiled well. If anyone has a link to a similar build or same build it would be much appreciated. ;D

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Nurburgring! Way cool! A bit more HP would help though, but still very cool experience!

Interesting idea to stroke a M52B20. To be honest, I would advise to make a realistic price list of all the parts and also all the labor.. Also don't forget the custom tune.
    Unless you really like to do this, I think buying a M52B28 (or having a bit of patience until a great deal passes by, can also be from an E38 728i for example; best would be a crashed 328i though) would eventually be more economic, and yield more power.
    But, it's an interesting project.. I can't advise about the pistons, as I don't know.
    Last edited by ed323i; 11-05-2018 at 04:25 AM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i

Projector Retrofit

I just finished a projector retrofit using some OEM ZKW housings, Morimoto Mini H1 (version 6.1) projectors and new DEPO glass covers to cap it off. I’ve actually had these little guys sitting in a box for years with the intention of using them for my E30 but i never got around to that and i ended up taking them with me over here to Germany. Finally decided to mount these up.

Install was super easy. All said and done it only took me a few hours of actual work to finish the whole build and get them tuned/aimed. I have to apologize for the grainy photos. I used my phone to document things as i went along. I get real nerdy about good headlights so im sure I’ll bust out my Canon eventually to try and capture some accurate output shots.

Modifying ZKW Housings

Morimoto Mini H1 mounted in housings

Unfinished assemblies without glass covers mounted on car for testing

Beam Pattern

Video of output
    E36 Projector Retrofit on Flickr

Video or color flicker at the cutoff
    E36 Projector Retrofit on Flickr

Finished headlight assemblies with new DEPO glass covers

Finished assemblies mounted on the car

Output on the road after tuning and aiming properly

Pictures from my phone don’t do justice to how good the output is. Literal night and day difference from the original H7 headlights. Super wide beam pattern and lots of throw. Plus a pretty color flare at the cutoff is nice. These little Morimoto mini H1 projectors are great and super easy to work with. I highly recommend going this route if you can.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1998 318i
    New ATE PowerDisc rotors up front and BOSCH pads front and rear.

My Cars
    e36 325i, e85 Z4
    The amount of clean e36's sitting all over Europe. Mein Gott!!! I must import one before I die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast