Thread: Is head gasket blown?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i

Is head gasket blown?

I purchased a 1997 318i from a friend, he says it was overheating, sold to me for $500. Car body and stuff in good shape. Car was sitting for 2 years and not driven. I got the car home battery in it, started right up. Plugged my odb2 sensor in it and connected to my Android phone using odb fusion app, watched the temp on the car, never went over 185f, I drove it around a bit, never rises up. No smoke from tail pipe. I the. Did a cold compression check, 185psi on all cylinders. When pulling plugs out noticed oil in the tubes, so suspected valve gasket leak. I pulled valve gasket off tonight. Attaching photos of the inside of the gasket and the cylinder head too. What do you think? With the look of it, seems the mixture looks like coolant mixed with oil. Should I just replace the head gasket now or just the valve gasket and see after maybe a oil change if the issue comes up? Could it be because sitting so long, that may be why the oil looks that way?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 1992 320i Sedan
    Its normal as far as i'm concerned, in 2 years the oil get that colour, maybe you'l have to clean it to see if there's a crack somewhere to be sure?

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    If it's two year old oil there's probably a decent amount of moisture in it. Change the oil. Drive it, especially with some long highway trips. Check again.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanniepoo View Post
    If it's two year old oil there's probably a decent amount of moisture in it. Change the oil. Drive it, especially with some long highway trips. Check again.
    Yup, condensation from sitting and not running long enough to "burn out" the moisture

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    Vehicles short-tripped in the winter time often get this - its just excess moisture mixing with the oil.

Obviously, you'll want to change the oil & filter (perhaps more) in a vehicle that's sat unused for such a time. If all your numbers are good, its probably just moisture from sitting. A few long drives will help. I'd be suggesting a dual-rated diesel oil in the 15w40 grade and doing short change intervals for a little while to try and clean things up.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i
    Thanks for the feedback.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    My god,

Go out and run that car. They love it

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    My god,

Go out and run that car. They love it

I plan on it, trust me! Love the handling of this thing. Drives nice. Just need to replace this valve gasket and all the spark tube seals too. Will be done with that tomorrow and then Saturday will take for the drives and get smog done. Hope to pass that with no issues. Shall see.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Looks kinda nasty but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Before you change the oil, throw in a little Seafoam or Marvel's Mystery Oil. Drive for a day or so, drain and replace oil and filter. Make sure you get the car nice and hot before smog, and don't turn the car off once you get to the station! Having your catalytic converters up to temp helps a lot with emissions. Check for vacuum leaks and misfires before you go as well.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    When doing the valve cover gasket be sure to replace the o-ring and gasket seals.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6104

While your waiting for parts it would be wise to check/replace the coolant to see if any oil isin there.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys are real optimistic, He lives in Cali and you think good oil turns into mustard after two years of sitting.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    You guys are real optimistic, He lives in Cali and you think good oil turns into mustard after two years of sitting.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    I agree with these guys. It looks to me like moisture from sitting for so long. Change the oil and do a coolant flush. Check for oil in the coolant when you drain it. Could be signs of another problem. Best of luck.

And $500 is a steal!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by newman995 View Post
    I agree with these guys. It looks to me like moisture from sitting for so long. Change the oil and do a coolant flush. Check for oil in the coolant when you drain it. Could be signs of another problem. Best of luck.

And $500 is a steal!
    I'm a major believer in regular Blackstone reports.

Also, if he reported it was overheating, I wouldn't assume whatever was causing that has just gone away.

Fan, water pump, thermostat - even just low coolant levels are prime causes. I'd check those things too before hitting the highway.

And shut it off immediately if the needle climbs past the 12 o'clock position. This time of year especially, if that needle starts to move there's a real problem somewhere.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I'm a major believer in regular Blackstone reports.

Also, if he reported it was overheating, I wouldn't assume whatever was causing that has just gone away.

Fan, water pump, thermostat - even just low coolant levels are prime causes. I'd check those things too before hitting the highway.

And shut it off immediately if the needle climbs past the 12 o'clock position. This time of year especially, if that needle starts to move there's a real problem somewhere.
    I agree with you. It would probably be wise to replace some of those parts if not all of them just to be safe. I am currently trying to fix a cooling issue myself. Its better to spend the cash up front rather than deal with the consequences of major damage caused by overheating.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i
    Currently, driving car and no sign of heating issues, talked to owner of the car before again and he said he really never overheated, it started smoking a bit and climbed up in heat just above middle, he thought it was a head gasket issue. I did replace valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and oil. Seems to be running great. One thing notices yesterday, no heat. So, need to figure that one out. Going to drain coolant on Saturday and replace the blue coolant. He put orange in it right now.

My Cars
    1998 328I Sedan
    Be sure to flush the orange coolant out completely before adding your blue. They aren’t supposed to mix well.
    Mike
    1999 750 IL (SOLD)
    1990 750 IL (SOLD)
    1989 325IC (SOLD)
    1995 540I (SOLD)
    1999 323 (SOLD)
    1998 328I 195,000 miles and counting
    2017 Ford Expedition Platinum
    2016 Lexus RX350 F-Sport

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysentra View Post
    Be sure to flush the orange coolant out completely before adding your blue. They aren’t supposed to mix well.
    Is it best to leave the plugs out and just run water through it until it is clear? I will have to look up the best way to be sure it is all out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysentra View Post
    <br><br>Is it best to leave the plugs out and just run water through it until it is clear? I will have to look up the best way to be sure it is all out.<br>
    <br>