Thread: to Cut or Not to Cut my front Bumper for Ram Air

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster

to Cut or Not to Cut my front Bumper for Ram Air

A few of you might know I'm going down the Dinan ISR3 build/re-creation. I'll post a huge build thread when I'm done. -- So looking at the ISR3 prototype ol' Steve cut the roadster for ram air, then later on he cut the two holes for cooling in front of the intercooler that sorta looks like a mustache. lol -- I really like the look of the ram air hole on the far left of the bumper, I have mine all taped off, I have the skill level to make it look right, and just like the Dinan hole/grill, but I just cant bring myself to cut my bumper yet. I usually go with my gut, and I'm sure I will with this decision as well. But just wondering what other members think. (I know the ram air hole is more of an aesthetic, and only helpful at like 60+ MPH)

Might look very close to this [photo credit Randy Forbes]

Last edited by bubbafett; 10-11-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    z3
    I think you should do it, but I also think it'd look best with the bumper painted after. There appears to be paint on the inner "edge" where the cut was made on that bumper, telling me it was painted after the fact.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

u can always buy another bumper....no biggie.

Just do it.....it sounds like you want too....whats the big deal?....

it wont do much anyways at most road speeds.

and its kinda not even noticeable

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    One of the challenges of a Vortech supercharger on these cars is getting enough air to the filter/intake tucked in behind the bumper. I would not label it ineffective without much more study and/or data.

/.randy

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Step one, check. lol

DSC09240.jpg
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    If you don't like it in the future, it looks like the painter's tape is a pretty good match to Estoril anyways and you can just tape over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    One of the challenges of a Vortech supercharger on these cars is getting enough air to the filter/intake tucked in behind the bumper. I would not label it ineffective without much more study and/or data.
    Seems as though VFE thought of this somewhat. My kit has the filter so it sits just behind the brake duct, but the materials used (assuming they came with the kit...don't know, bought it that way) are sketchy. I plan to replace the flimsy accordion ducting with some silicone tubing someday, when I find the time, which is never, so nevermind.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I like it. Hope it significantly helps, though.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    z3
    Looks better there than when Dinan did it I think... Dinan made it too "square" - you used a larger radius on the corners which makes it look more organic, more in line with the bumper design overall.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Looks better there than when Dinan did it I think... Dinan made it too "square" - you used a larger radius on the corners which makes it look more organic, more in line with the bumper design overall.
    Thanks man, that's a pretty visually sensitive comment, Yeah I rounded the corners just a tad bit more, looks like ur good with body lines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    If you don't like it in the future, it looks like the painter's tape is a pretty good match to Estoril anyways and you can just tape over it. .
    lol!

Something I have noticed is that the Dinan cut holes do vary in location, and size just a little.

Just in case anybody wants to see the Dinan prototype. As seen in the Bimmer Magazine on June 1999.

Last edited by bubbafett; 10-12-2017 at 04:31 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    What tool did you use for cutting?

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    What tool did you use for cutting?
    I used a 1/2 drill bit for the corners, then a dremel tool with reinforced cut off wheel, then a dremel small stone for additional shaping, then a small jewelers file to flatten edges, then finally sand paper. -- You just need a steady hand with the dremel for cutting straight lines, the use the rest of the tools for final shaping.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    I used a 1/2 drill bit for the corners, then a dremel tool with reinforced cut off wheel, then a dremel small stone for additional shaping, then a small jewelers file to flatten edges, then finally sand paper. -- You just need a steady hand with the dremel for cutting straight lines, the use the rest of the tools for final shaping.
    Thanks. Does the paint start to chip away or does it stay attached?

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    The tape helps. But yes the paint is good except on the edge. It will need to be painted to look the best. -- I'm gonna try to do that myself. If I'm not happy with it I have a body shop I trust do it. --A couple years back he painted the entire bumper for $100.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    I think one of Greg's car in Utah has similar cuts (or one of his previous cars)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...iece-Roadstars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Regarding paint chips around the cut. Cut the paint, at the exact line you want the opening, with an exacto knife or razor blade. Be careful. You got one shot at this. Rough cut the opening to just inside the cut line. Finish with file or other tool of choice to the exacto cut and you will have a prefect edge. I would then use some touch-up paint on the lip and overlap the edge of the paint to protect.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose