Thread: Stripped Lug Nut Key

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il

Stripped Lug Nut Key

Had a front end wobble @ 50mph. Took car to tire shop to check wheel balance. yada yada yada, I now have a stripped lug nut key and can not remove any of my wheels.

Any advise on getting those keyed lug nuts off?
    Can I get another Key?
    Are they called lug nut or lug bolts?

My Cars
    BMW
    Locks and keys are usually matched sets, finding the correct key to your locks can be a pain.... but by design to make it very hard to remove the lugs without the correct key. You'll need an easy out socket / twisted extractor socket / etc (photo below for reference) to remove the existing keyed lugs.

And unless you've converted to studs, your car is going to have wheel bolts.

-James

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    There are so many variations of keys, I would not waste time finding the right one. Bought a '96 from a guy who could not find the key. Took a photo of lock nut for a friend at the local BMW. He brought me a dozen, or so, similar from their service dept. None matched. Ordered a couple from Ebay that looked right. Nope. I had a set of Easy-outs but none of the were large enough to fit over the lock. I finally sacrificed a large socket. Pounded it over the lock nut and removed them one at a time. Had to put the socket in a vice and pound off the lock nut after each removal. You have to find a socket that is just a bit smaller than the nut. Fun times.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    Locks and keys are usually matched sets, finding the correct key to your locks can be a pain.... but by design to make it very hard to remove the lugs without the correct key. You'll need an easy out socket / twisted extractor socket / etc (photo below for reference) to remove the existing keyed lugs.

And unless you've converted to studs, your car is going to have wheel bolts.

-James
    Would this specific tool work for the BMW MPar wheels. The keyed bolt is rounded head. Would this tool grab the rounded head of the bolt? Also, the bold head sits deep in the a well inside the wheel. Does this tools fit inside the wheel's bolt wells?

Does any one have a reference to an exact extractor tool that works with MPar wheels and round bolt head lug.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    srq, are they BMW keys or generic aftermarkets? You can buy a replacement BMW key if need be. The number you need is on the key.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    srq, are they BMW keys or generic aftermarkets? You can buy a replacement BMW key if need be. The number you need is on the key.
    Ditto...without a pic or namebrand...we don't know specifically what you're working with. If you have aftermarket locking studs...you may want to inquire around your local town's tire shops to see if they can help. A shop that's been around for a while may have the tools to remove locking studs...because I'm sure over the decades they've had to deal with this issue.

But if you have BMW locking wheel studs (like "D" in illustration below)...then you can purchase a new " adapter key" from BMW. The adapter key has a coded number...and the matching studs have the same number stamped inside them:

{most BMW dealerships probably have the whole set for their own personal use...and may help you remove them as a "goodwill" gesture}

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Yes, it is a BMW key. The keyed bolt looks something like this (not exact pattern):
    31m-uNDVBpL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    Took car to local BMW dealer. They had the key. They were able to remove two of the three lug bolts but no go on the third. For the third bolt, they used a different tool that extracts the core of the bolt head and use a socket to extract the bolt. Yes, there is a but. The tool used on the third bolt broke. Now, have to wait till BMW replaces the tool and try again.

While there, remembered I had my camera in the trunk of car. Took some nice photos in the showroom.
    My car (2000 740iL):
    _DSC_2549.jpg

The 2018 740i:
    _dsc_2420-dsc_2422.jpg

Will be sharing more photos on a separate post....

Thanks for all help with key issue. Still open for DIY suggestions while I wait on the dealer.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    What dealer do you use, srq? I'm half way between Tampa and Bradenton. The one in Tampa has great ratings, but maybe yours is closer? Are they good? Good luck with the locks, I'd just let them get it off.

Then buy the locking studs that Q showed above. I have those. They weigh exactly the same as the regular lugs to the gram, and the key is easily replaceable. I bought an extra one at the time so I have 2.
    Last edited by racer2086; 10-14-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I just have lug bolts, no locks. Our old 325 had the locks and I replaced them with bolts. Is wheel theft an issue for the wheels on these old cars?

SRQ I like the pix. Cars sure have changed over the past 20 years. I like the classic look of your Alpine with the black rockers. Nice!
    Last edited by clarkitect; 10-15-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    What dealer do you use, srq? I'm half way between Tampa and Bradenton. The one in Tampa has great ratings, but maybe yours is closer? Are they good? Good luck with the locks, I'd just let them get it off.

Then buy the locking studs that Q showed above. I have those. They weigh exactly the same as the regular lugs to the gram, and the key is easily replaceable. I bought an extra one at the time so I have 2.
    The dealership in Sarasota is at 5151 Clark Rd 34233 (BMW of Sarasota). I think the one in Tampa is called Reevs. As far as their goodness, that was my first time there. Very good wait area and personal service. Very nice service area. They had the regular key that matched my bolts and were going to do the job at no charge but there was one stubborn bolt that needed surgical removal with a special tool.

My Cars
    00 740i 6spd, 01 740i
    AGA has a really nice tool for removing McGard style wheel lock bolts, http://www.agatools.com/tool/wheel-l...moval-tool/kit
    E38 6spd, 4.6is, VF Engineering Supercharged, Dinan HFM/TB, 3:64Quaife, VAC Motorsport underdrive pulleys, SuperSprint headers/mufflers, Smile factor.
    01 740i, Imola Red, stock.
    98 318ti, beater.
    97 540i, yard art.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I just have lug bolts, no locks. Our old 325 had the locks and I replaced them with bolts. Is wheel theft an issue for the wheels on these old cars?

SRQ I like the pix. Cars sure have changed over the past 20 years. I like the classic look of your Alpine with the black rockers. Nice!
    My car came with the lug locks but I do not see any point on having wheel lock in the area where I am. I will use regular lug bolts if and when I am able to remove the last lock bolt.

Yes, cars have changed over the last 20 yrs. On my other post, have links to more photos that show under the hoods of several of the models. It does not look good for future DIY. Maybe DIYs will get more sophisticated 20 years from now to be able to work on today's cars.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfixr View Post
    AGA has a really nice tool for removing McGard style wheel lock bolts, http://www.agatools.com/tool/wheel-l...moval-tool/kit
    Yes, it looks like the AGA tool will work. I am hopping that is what the dealer was using or will be using when they replace their broken tool. Here is a link to a video from the AGA tool website:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Xwwj4y7lHRg

My Cars
    1995 Porsche 911, 2001 Toyota Sequoia, 1993 Jeep G
    Most tire shops will have the kit to get your locks off. Check with who ever yo normally buy your tires from.

My Cars
    1985 635csi euro
    So I have the key lockable studs pictured “c”, how are they removed ? I just bought the car and have the keys but have played with them yet, are the valuable now ? I don’t see a lot of info on them

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    It should be to insert and turn the key - but they get gummed up with road dirt and salt. If you can turn the key, and get that cover off, you are in a good place.

My Cars
    1985 635csi euro
    Thanks,played around and with a good tug I was able to pull them off, one cap is missing and I would love to find a new one but again not much info on them

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    It’s a balance between not getting wheels stolen, and not getting wheels off. It’s not an issue where I live, and as time has gone on, the market for ‘used’ bmw wheels that are 20 years old is dropping.