Thread: Issues with GM auto 5 speed.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Issues with GM auto 5 speed.

2003 E46 wagon 5 speed GM auto...122k. Upon first start in the morning, start the cold engine then wait for the rpm to drop from 1000 rpm to around 700 rpm, about a minute then I put it in reverse and back out of my driveway...then I put it in drive and apply a little gas to move forward.....the car moves only forward slightly so then I apply more gas and only marginally moves forward as the rpm's rise to 2000 rpm and only then does the transmission slowly begin to engage after about 45 seconds. After that, I'm on my way to buy my morning coffee a couple of miles away and the transmission shifts properly, responds properly...and for the rest of the day as if nothing was wrong.

I have an odd ball BMW transmission. It's not the ZF but rather the GM. According to my research, this particular GM transmission was used in Cadillac and BMW in the early 2000's and is no longer in production. The ATF used for these limited GM transmissions used a specific ATF developed by Texaco, also no longer in production.

I have not checked the ATF fluid level yet. It seems to me that upon my morning start after putting it in drive that the transmission is starved of fluid...yet in reverse there is no hesitation, the first action demanded from the transmission before putting it in drive.

Sorry for the long read here but I feel that if explained well here some can understand better what's going on with this transmission issue. Can anyone shed a light?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Have a read.

And after that get ready for a fluid replacement. That may help or maynot, but it is much cheaper than replacing the unit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dworthy; 10-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Have a read.

And after that get ready for a fluid replacement. That may help or maynot, but it is much cheaper than replacing the unit.
    Yes...I've thought about a change to Dexron 6...gotta do the torque converter too! My worry...I have read disaster for GM equipped BMW...wagons in particular 2003....when switched the original TEXACO atf....formulated exclusively for the Cadillac and BMW 3........Lots on the web..............It's better NOT to change atf.....and not because any atf change would distribute debris causing clutch-packs failures.
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 10-11-2017 at 04:22 PM.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    A manufacturing flaw in the forward C1 clutch pack tolerances cause this. Pressure bleeds off overnight. Cold weather exaggerates the delay. There is a EGS update to address this via increasing line pressure but it has mixed success. Same with fluid change. FYI, valvoline maxlife atf is a low cost fluid that is rated specifically for the GM AND ZF trans. Meets all specs.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    yup, programming and fluid change.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    A manufacturing flaw in the forward C1 clutch pack tolerances cause this. Pressure bleeds off overnight. Cold weather exaggerates the delay. There is a EGS update to address this via increasing line pressure but it has mixed success. Same with fluid change. FYI, valvoline maxlife atf is a low cost fluid that is rated specifically for the GM AND ZF trans. Meets all specs.
    Take a look at SI B 24 07 03 re: delayed engagement: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1135385 (post 15). I had this issue with my 04 325xit about 4 years ago and the software flash solved the problem (and it has not come back). Good luck!

EDIT: Sorry for double posting the SIB. I missed it in an earlier post.
    Last edited by squirrelhill; 10-19-2017 at 03:47 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    YES...all of you support my issue...issues...I don't want to remove and replace the TEXACO..with Dexron 6. The General Motors transmission, the 5 speed furnished with most, if not all, BMW avant...I do have! ...Understand, ATF, automatic transmission fluid...for my 2003 325xi....is, and has not been in production since mid 2000. BMW recommends a replacement in Dexron 6...yet many thousands who have converted report almost instant transmission failure....should sound an alarm here......yes?

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    You're not stating anything that hasnt been stated a thousand times before. Yes the ETL has been out of production for years. The dealer and trans manuf. recommended replacement is Dex-6. I've used it with poor success. It did not mix well with the residual ETL that was left in the trans during the drain/refill and caused harsh 1-2 shifts. I have used Valvoline multi-vehicle Maxlife ATF with GREAT success on multiple vehicles. It is BMW rated as direct replacement for all fluids in the GM and ZF trans. Buy with confidence.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    OP, you might consider a tranny flush to replace all of the fluid. Basically, the shop
    hooks up a machine to the tranny fluid hoses at the fluid cooler at the radiator. In goes new fluid and out comes the old fluid.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    we used a trans flush machine, It was shared with subaru on our dealership so we were constantly changing fluid in the thing. but we literally changed thousands of transmission over to dex 6 and no transmission failures. no returns other than the ones that came in leaking for some reason or another (probably poor tech issues) but no failures.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.