Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop wants 2 grand to fix everything?

My Cars
    1998 328is

Shop wants 2 grand to fix everything?

Thank you guys for reading this but I had just took my E36 to a import shop again and gave them this list.
    Low beams don't work replaced fuses relays and switch.. Car takes while to return to normal idle which is 550 revs. sucking noise from oil fill cap. Poor mpg, clunk when shift from drive to neutral,revs drop slowly when revving it
    Poor acceleration,
    Coolant loss over couple of days
    Rough idle when shifting

Then three hours later they called me n gave me a diagnostic paper of what they think. The iac has been cleaned but they recommend replacement due to the rough idle. No vaccum leaks found but they did find me some answers. Here's the two sheets I got. I do have Bosch double platinum spark plugs but they say they want me to switch to ngk b Bellow is a attachment
    At least they did find my coolant leak n why my low beam weren't working because I really enjoy driving at night time n now I can. I paid 110$ for the fee to diagnose. And if anyone has any idea why the revs don't drop as smooth when I rev it plz let me know

IMG_20171010_162642119.jpgIMG_20171010_162654018.jpg
    Last edited by zohaibrose; 10-10-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Haha they found your blown fuse Sorry but too funny.

Well that's obviously not a reasonable quote, but they found flaws that you were unable to. Now fix, the important ones.

Sorry but 550rpm is not normal, 750 is normal, in nuetral or park.

You can buy two shitty E36's for 2k !
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    99 M3
    Sounds reasonable. Do ALL of the DIY doable ‘stuff’ and let them handle the rest. These cars are not inexpensive to maintain, but they have to be maintained.
    Just do it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Make a video showing how the idle drops. Make sure it doesn't suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Your thud when going from drive to neutral is your differential, it's low on fluid, change the fluid. Get the fluid for non-lsd 75w-90, get full synthetic. You need two new crush washers.
    Last edited by Eric93se; 10-10-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    For spark plugs get, DENSO 4702 Iridium TT, from rockauto.com
    or
    BOSCH 8100 OE Fine Wire Double Platinum

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't usually work on a car you have to understand the concept of torque and how to properly tighten something, to loose can be as bad as to tight. Get a torque wrench and learn how to use it. Download the Bentley manual for the car.

My Cars
    E36, E39, E90
    Cleaning the icv and changing plugs is easy. I've always had good luck with ngk's. Bluptgm3 has the most reasonable answer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    I run the NGK BR6KE plugs, they run mint in these cars. Single electrode resistor core as specced.

Nice that the headlights are fixed.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    For spark plugs get, DENSO 4702 Iridium TT, from rockauto.com
    or
    BOSCH 8100 OE Fine Wire Double Platinum

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't usually work on a car you have to understand the concept of torque and how to properly tighten something, to loose can be as bad as to tight. Get a torque wrench and learn how to use it. Download the Bentley manual for the car.
    I have Bosch double platinum spark plugs on the car their new but I guess since their not oe they want me to go ngk
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    If they're brand new then they are probably fine. But we don't recommend them

- - - Updated - - -

All the answers are here on the forum, on youtube and in the Bentley manual. We are here to help but you have to have confidence and be willing to learn, do a lot of reading and watch others on youtube do stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Rmeuropean.com and rockauto.com are good places to shop, so when you build a parts list you can get free ship at rmeuropean.com with orders over $65

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Do the work yourself, save hundreds of dollars.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by ovation1000 View Post
    Ain't that the truth,
    Thank you guys for the help though I will most likely get all these things taken care of by me and my friend I'm too poor to afford their 2 grand price anyway I only have just enough to buy those parts and labor is free for me
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    99 M3

Shop wants 2 grand to fix everything?

I don’t recall which model you have, but here is what I found in www.realoem.com

1996+ 328 (M52)
    NGK BKR6EQUP
    BOSCH FGR7DQP

1992-1995 325 (M50)
    NGK BKR 6 EK
    BOSCH F 7 LDCR

It is likely these numbers have been superseded but it is a starting point.

My recollection of spark plugs is that the M50/S50 prefers NGK brand and the 1996+ M52/S52 prefers the Bosch brand.
    You will most likely need to replace the coil extenders/spark plug extenders.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1977

Are you familiar with www.realoem.com? The E36 is now considered a “classic” in realoem.
    Use your cars build date (from sticker on drivers door “B” pillar) or last seven of your VIN number to determine proper parts for your BMW. Use those part numbers for shopping at your local part store or especially with on-line retailers.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-11-2017 at 01:27 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    2 grand to fix what exactly? The spark plugs and idle air control valve?? I could have that done in less than an hour

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    2 grand to fix what exactly? The spark plugs and idle air control valve?? I could have that done in less than an hour
    No if you look at the attachments I posted there's a list of things that said n they want 2 grand to replace it all
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    M52b28's never have the revs drop quickly, it's part of the programming. Just remember the mark on the tach between 0 and 1000 rpms is not 500 but 600rpms. The crankcase operates under vacuum so that's why you hear the sucking sound when you pull the oil cap.
    Last edited by jmo69; 10-11-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    M52b28's never have the revs drop quickly, it's part of the programming. Just remember the mark on the tach between 0 and 1000 rpms is not 500 but 600rpms.
    …weird. I thought my wife’s 328 had developed the slow-to-drop-to-idle syndrome that I chased to no conclusion.

My Cars
    z4m coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ovation1000 View Post
    What he said.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    …weird. I thought my wife’s 328 had developed the slow-to-drop-to-idle syndrome that I chased to no conclusion.

There is a way to get them to drop a little faster. At the junction of the intake boot and the hose to the ICV the airflow to the ICV needs to be restricted. I put a cheap ¼" drive 11mm socket, it fits nicely and the plastic connector keeps it from moving further down the hose.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    don't think it's part of programming, would have been a real dumb guy to design it that way, as it doesn't have any sense. about the socket: this tells me the icv isn't closed while driving. why isn't it? it should be closed or am i drunk

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by zohaibrose View Post
    Thank you guys for reading this but I had just took my E36 to a import shop again and gave them this list.
    Low beams don't work replaced fuses relays and switch.. Car takes while to return to normal idle which is 550 revs. sucking noise from oil fill cap. Poor mpg, clunk when shift from drive to neutral,revs drop slowly when revving it
    Poor acceleration,
    Coolant loss over couple of days
    Rough idle when shifting

Then three hours later they called me n gave me a diagnostic paper of what they think. The iac has been cleaned but they recommend replacement due to the rough idle. No vaccum leaks found but they did find me some answers. Here's the two sheets I got. I do have Bosch double platinum spark plugs but they say they want me to switch to ngk b Bellow is a attachment
    At least they did find my coolant leak n why my low beam weren't working because I really enjoy driving at night time n now I can. I paid 110$ for the fee to diagnose. And if anyone has any idea why the revs don't drop as smooth when I rev it plz let me know

IMG_20171010_162642119.jpgIMG_20171010_162654018.jpg
    You're missing a lot of stuff - which adds up quickly if you're buying it new and paying someone else to do all the work.

A new expansion tank is over $100 from the dealer. They're $20-$40 on Amazon.

Apply that same math to everything else, plus shop time to do the work, and you have a $2,000 bill.

You could probably sort all of this out for less than $400 new, or less than $100 from a salvage yard, and spend a Saturday morning doing the work yourself.

The Bentley manual and YouTube are your friends - you can do all of this stuff with very basic tools.

Please spend the money on some jack stands!

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by samy01 View Post
    don't think it's part of programming, would have been a real dumb guy to design it that way, as it doesn't have any sense. about the socket: this tells me the icv isn't closed while driving. why isn't it? it should be closed or am i drunk
    I thought it's closed while driving then opens up when you let off throttle, I think if you shake your icv and hear it rattle it's bad because it should be closed but not stuck closed with carbon.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    I thought it's closed while driving then opens up when you let off throttle, I think if you shake your icv and hear it rattle it's bad because it should be closed but not stuck closed with carbon.
    A rattle in the valve is fine, when they're clean they do rattle (at least both of mine do, and they work fine). It's the door swinging back and forth and bumping into the end stops. There's a very light spring open, and position is held with PWMed power.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    E36 is a great car, don't get me wrong.

But if your the type that expects a shop to fix everything for you, I hope you have a big wallet. Frankly, most guys who do have the wallets to pay for high repairs, drive newer cars and make the payment instead.

E36 is an enthusiast car now, people don't drive them because they really 'have' too.

Best thing I can tell you is. The car is engineered awesomely and for the most part they are easy to work on. Get a decent socket set, get some torx sockets and go to town. Its more rewarding.

When you decide to go performance, if ever - Save your money to pay the guys then.
    Last edited by 328iFun; 10-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    E36 is a great car, don't get me wrong.

But if your the type that expects a shop to fix everything for you, I hope you have a big wallet. Frankly, most guys who do have the wallets to pay for high repairs, drive newer cars and make the payment instead.

E36 is an enthusiast car now, people don't drive them because they really 'have' too.

Best thing I can tell you is. The car is engineered awesomely and for the most part they are easy to work on. Get a decent socket set, get some torx sockets and go to town. Its more rewarding.

When you decide to go performance, if ever - Save your money to pay the guys then.
    yeah im not looking for no turbo build thats just gonna end up costing more then a used e36 m3.
    but yeah alot of the stuff is easy to reach positions like alternator and fuel injectors but the interrior was made poorly like glove box, headliner sag, the door panels are held in by plastic clips and cheap regulator clips its just a mess. hondas dont have these problems because they were glued right in the first place. but they do have plastic interrior pieces but they still dont fall apart
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    yeah im not looking for no turbo build thats just gonna end up costing more then a used e36 m3.
    but yeah alot of the stuff is easy to reach positions like alternator and fuel injectors but the interrior was made poorly like glove box, headliner sag, the door panels are held in by plastic clips and cheap regulator clips its just a mess. hondas dont have these problems because they were glued right in the first place. but they do have plastic interrior pieces but they still dont fall apart
    I wasn't implying that you boost your car. In fact, I would suggest you do the opposite of that ESPECIALLY if you can't work on it yourself. And I would much rather have a boosted non-m than a stock E36 M3 or any boosted car for that matter - are you serious?

Like any other 20 year old car, it has it's problems. I wouldn't compare it to a Honda though, you wouldn't catch me driving civic or whatever they are in the same time era that the was E36 produced.

The things you are listing are so minor and easy to fix. Your talking some epoxy and maybe 2 hours of your time if your proficient.

It's the price you pay for owning one of the best/reliable motors ever made and pretty decent handling and weight distribution for a 20 year old vehicle to boot.

If you want to bash an E36 - do it right, like the rest of em'!

1. Go get a 90's civic or hatchback
    2. Buy ebay terbo kit (hacksaw muffler off)
    3. Go to local high school and rev engine for chicks
    4. Come back and talk smack

If you want to learn how to fix or make a pretty fun car, search around. There's plenty of info! But there's no point in stating problems that everyone here already knows exist or comparing an E36 to Honda. You'll get shutdown quick!
    Last edited by 328iFun; 10-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast