Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking to buy a cordless driver or ratchet...........

looking to buy a cordless driver or ratchet...........

to help speed up removing and installing assorted fasteners on the car.

Ill use a manual whatever to break, and to do final torque

Ive looked at the Milwaukee cordless 3/8" ratchet..it gets good reviews.

and on a TV show Ive seen them use a sweet AC Delco cordless 3/8" driver......

Im looking at 160-200 ish for these babies...

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARI12.../dp/B00AM1UWZU

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-245...J9KYEHHB0ZJGET

I just think itll speed up sooooo many jobs.....ie a VCG job I wanna do.

what yall use and love??????

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i
    I use a dewalt impact driver with a 3/8 or 1/2" square drive adapter on it. It even works great for wheels, gets them to about 80ft-lbs then I finish with a torque wrench. With a 10mm long socket attached it's a beast under hood or under the car.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC825K...rds=xrp+impact

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I use a Bosch from lowes. Works great. I think it was 180 in a kit with a drill.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    1/2 inch or don't bother. 3/8 will start out being able to do the job, but will wear out a bit. Milwaukee is good stuff.

I almost never use 1/2"........almost never

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    i'm a Milwaukee guy myself. i have some M12 and M18 stuff... its nice to buy a brand that has lots of other tools, this way you can swap batteries and don't need a bunch of chargers. i few of my buddies have that ratchet they love it. its next on my list.

you should see all the stuff milwaukee has,, they even just made a heat gun and soldering iron

fyi they just made a second generation of that ratchet

My Cars
    1996 M3 - 1987 325es
    Hilti. pricy, but a very good quality. Otherwise Milwaukee or dewalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-Brushl...B5T0EJ35Q7JV39

Have this set. Love it. Batteries are dirt cheap. Used mine on my engine swap, including an oil pan gasket and vcg swap. Made short work of the myriad 10mm and the other small sizes involved.

My Cars
    z3
    I've got something like this and a new impact driver on my list for black friday/cyber monday. There were some really good deals last year and it's only about a month away from here. Bought a Rigid set last year and the drill still works but the impact driver crapped out on me... I think I will give Milwaukee a shot next

While on the subject for tools, anyone have any recommendations on hand ratchets? I have a lot of Craftsman stuff but haven't been happy with them. Lots of their cheaper ratchets break on me and the more expensive ones cost ...a lot. May as well buy a full set of a nicer brand this year I think.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-10-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

I think a cordless ratchet may be the one for me.....now

most seem to love the Milwaukee

then maybe a compact driver.

My lug nut buster Milwaukee 1/2 inch impact is just too big for smaller jobs

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Bought a Rigid set last year and the drill still works but the impact driver crapped out on me... I think I will give Milwaukee a shot next.
    Damn it, I have a Rigid impact wrench, and I hope it doesn't crap out on me. It won't take off over-torqued wheel nuts, but it will take them off if torqued properly.

I've seen a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench in action, and I was very impressed. It's just all around heftier and can take more abuse. Maybe if the Rigid craps out, that will give me a good excuse to nab one.

Go for the Milwaukee out of the gate, if you can afford it.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I use a Dewalt 12v 1/4" impact driver. So long as I break the fastener loose by hand, it does all the spinning, and half the time I don't even have to break it loose. It's light and small and fits into difficult places--like interiors. It's ideal for me. Comes with 2 batteries--one is good for a couple of big jobs (all day or all weekend jobs). Otherwise I use air.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I have the Milwaukee and it is absolutley awesome. I use it all the time.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    The Milwaukee ratchets are awesome. By far my most used tool. I have the 1/4 version for all the simple small stuff. Perfect for valve covers, oil pans, trim stuff, etc. Next on the list is the 3/8 version for slightly more torque-y jobs.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2000 bmw z3 M
    i have to go with the (apparent)consenus. get a Milwaukee and you won't ever look back. i don't have a need for an impact but i would definitely go with Milwaukee. i doubt you'll ever run the battery down in between uses but if you do you'll get another battery quickly.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I use a 1/4" hex impact and a 3/8" ratchet from Milwaukee. I like them a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    The Milwaukee ratchets are awesome. By far my most used tool. I have the 1/4 version for all the simple small stuff. Perfect for valve covers, oil pans, trim stuff, etc. Next on the list is the 3/8 version for slightly more torque-y jobs.

Im about to start w/ a 3/8 I think........every1 loves these, yes

it feels good in your hand?.....

annnnnnd, THANX to ALL

My Cars
    1997 m3
    TL;dr: snap on for 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet
    milwaukee brushless 1/4 hex impact
    1/2in air powered IR or Milwaukee

I would like to start off by saying I use these tools every single day. I work at a body shop and my tools see a lot of wear.

Milwaukee: I have had both the hex bit impact and the 1/4in ratchet. If you’re going with the 1/4 or 3/8 impact, get the brushless. You’ll thank yourself later. The brushes wore out on mine after about a year, I changed them and the new ones went in a week lol but other than that it was fine. I have a brushless now for 2 years and feels good, no issues yet whatsoever.
    The 1/4in ratchet on the other hand I thought was good until I got the new snap on 1/4in ratchet. Ive had the anvil break twice on me on the Milwaukee. I like that the snap on has more free spin rpm and I believe 45ft pounds vs 35 of Milwaukee. Plus you get a lifetime warranty from snap on but the price reflects that. Snap on is about 300 vs 150 for Milwaukee.
    I have the 1/2 in snap on cordless impact and had a chance to use the Milwaukee 1/2 cordless as well. Milwaukee takes the cake vs the snap on but I have found them to be useless sometimes and i have to whip out the IR and get it done. So I prefer the air powered IR to the cordless 1/2 impacts. But the cordless does come in handy like at the track when switching wheels .

But since you won’t be using them every day I would honestly suggest the Milwaukee ratchet and/or impact as they are cheaper and easier to acquire. Another neat thing about the Milwaukee 1/4 ratchet is that you switch between 1/4 and 3/8 anvils on the same tool. Not much work to switch it either, just take the removal of a c-clip.

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t bother with harbor freight goodies.
    Last edited by Ateyourv8; 10-13-2017 at 02:15 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    I almost always use 3/8 - but tend to buy power tools in 1/2. I feel they are "stronger" when made for the bigger bits.

Is there any logic behind this thought process *at all* or should I just get a 3/8 IR to replace my broken one?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

I buy 3/8 stuff bcause 99% of my fasteners are kinda small.

I use 1/2 impact for larger fasteners.

I bet most pros say get 1/2"...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ateyourv8 View Post
    TL;dr: snap on for 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet
    milwaukee brushless 1/4 hex impact
    1/2in air powered IR or Milwaukee

I would like to start off by saying I use these tools every single day. I work at a body shop and my tools see a lot of wear.

Milwaukee: I have had both the hex bit impact and the 1/4in ratchet. If you’re going with the 1/4 or 3/8 impact, get the brushless. You’ll thank yourself later. The brushes wore out on mine after about a year, I changed them and the new ones went in a week lol but other than that it was fine. I have a brushless now for 2 years and feels good, no issues yet whatsoever.
    The 1/4in ratchet on the other hand I thought was good until I got the new snap on 1/4in ratchet. Ive had the anvil break twice on me on the Milwaukee. I like that the snap on has more free spin rpm and I believe 45ft pounds vs 35 of Milwaukee. Plus you get a lifetime warranty from snap on but the price reflects that. Snap on is about 300 vs 150 for Milwaukee.
    I have the 1/2 in snap on cordless impact and had a chance to use the Milwaukee 1/2 cordless as well. Milwaukee takes the cake vs the snap on but I have found them to be useless sometimes and i have to whip out the IR and get it done. So I prefer the air powered IR to the cordless 1/2 impacts. But the cordless does come in handy like at the track when switching wheels .

But since you won’t be using them every day I would honestly suggest the Milwaukee ratchet and/or impact as they are cheaper and easier to acquire. Another neat thing about the Milwaukee 1/4 ratchet is that you switch between 1/4 and 3/8 anvils on the same tool. Not much work to switch it either, just take the removal of a c-clip.

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t bother with harbor freight goodies.
    but whats the cost for the anvils?.....im looking now.

My Cars
    1997 m3

Quote Originally Posted by Ateyourv8 View Post
    cool.....so I can buy either a 3/8 or 1/4 kit.....and then buy a separate anvil for the OTHER size?

btw....do I need special tool for that clip?????.....and is it really that ez to just swap?????

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Nieko 24volt 1/2" impact gun is the best bang for the buck for this application. Costs ~$120 and a charge will last and carry 330# of torque.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

keep in mind I dont want a big heavy bulky impact for underhood work....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast