Thread: Help with AST 5100, I need user experiences and measurements. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual

Help with AST 5100, I need user experiences and measurements. Thanks in advance.

Anyone running AST5100 on a Z3/M or Z3/M Coupe?

I am going to that direction but my front wheels are 8,5X18" ET35 and with 225/40 tires.
    Problem is that front shock will come very close to tyre and I don't have balls to order them if I then need to start again playing with wheels.
    Even AST's product manager in Holland was not sure, so I need all the actual user experiences from fitment I can get!

Thank you very much for all answers!

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I opened this figuring it was a plea for scanner help. Since you are talking wheel offsets, I'm now guessing this is about wheels.

With stock strut housings, you can fit 9.0ET38 with 255 tires. These are the numbers I measured. These are the numbers I run. And these are the same number Greg uses for the Superstars. Note that I don't mention rim diameters. They are not important, only overall tire diameter

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Thanks. Yes for scanner, not money for faxmachine by McLaren yet.

What is diameter of your stock strut? I dont have stock so I cant measure. Thanks!
    Last edited by Remotion; 10-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Ah ha, AST5100 is a front strut.. I see now.

The problem I've seen with that style suspension is not the shock tube diameter, rather it is the position of the spring perch. The perch ends up interfering with the tire sidewall. You are correct, you need someone with that exact setup to give you valid info. Sorry.

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    All around AST 5100 in plans but front is kinky, rear is easier.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I ran AST 4200 DA setup for years. You can 6" or 5.5" front springs and the spring perch will be above your wheel height. I used to run 255/40-17's on 17x9's (pretty wide) up front which fit with minor rub at full lock with the correct back spacing. Your wheel/tire combo will have no issue if you space it correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran AST 4200 DA setup for years. You can 6" or 5.5" front springs and the spring perch will be above your wheel height. I used to run 255/40-17's on 17x9's (pretty wide) up front which fit with minor rub at full lock with the correct back spacing. Your wheel/tire combo will have no issue if you space it correctly. I'd also shameless post I'm selling a set of Anthracite Apex ARC-8 18x8.5's with nearly new Continental DW's but realistically I have so many people expressing interest, I wouldn't want to tease you.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Does those shorter springs compromise the suspension quality?

I have 2 times ordered custom wheels from US and not doing it again anymore, nor buying used, and my spec is spot on for my car so it's not changing anyway.
    I think mine 8,5" ET37 225/40 will clear them actually...

Measured my Bilsteins yesterday, they are 53mm, and I had 20mm to the tyre on passenger side and 16mm on driver side, both bilsteins wheel mounts have obviously bent from heavy pothole hits. So there should be more room in reality with perfect struts.
    Last edited by Remotion; 10-13-2017 at 09:14 PM.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Does those shorter springs compromise the suspension quality?

I have 2 times ordered custom wheels from US and not doing it again anymore, nor buying used, and my spec is spot on for my car so it's not changing anyway.
    I think mine 8,5" ET37 225/40 will clear them actually...

Measured my Bilsteins yesterday, they are 53mm, and I had 20mm to the tyre on passenger side and 16mm on driver side, both bilsteins wheel mounts have obviously bent from heavy pothole hits. So there should be more room in reality with perfect struts.
    No one, I mean no one running true higher end coilovers with the E36 front chassis (ie. the front half of a Z3) is running anything longer than 6.5" and most run 6" or 5.5". When I owned and was running my Z3 Nationally, I typically ran 6" but on occasion slightly short but not 5" spring, all ranging from 500# all the way to 750# as I had access to many pairs I owned and a voluminous library of springs to test and determine what worked for me. Keep in mind that while the tire is close and there will be some tire deflection, most of the time 3 mm will be sufficient.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast