Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e36 aftermarket stereo help??

My Cars
    1998 328i

Question e36 aftermarket stereo help??

I have finally gotten tired of using a cassette adapter to listen to my music and I've decided on the Sound Storm Labs ML46DB. However I have no idea if I need a stereo adapter. I don't have the time to go to a stereo shop (closest is over an hour away) to figure it out, so if anybody could please let me know if I need a new harness/adapter or if whatever is in there already should work. I'm sure it's obvious but I have minimal knowledge on what's needed but don't worry as I am a lot better on actually putting things together once I have everything lol
    Also, the previous owners put a BIG ASS amplifier in the trunk that as far as I can tell does nothing at all so not sure if that will affect anything (or if it was ever even connected properly)

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

At around $33 USD retail, that head unit is a low quality in every respect unit - I'd definitely advise you to purchase a respected high quality head unit instead. If you are finding funds are tight, save up a little more and purchase a used quality head unit over that $33 thing ! If you want to remain with the cheapy unit, 'hopefully' it'll work well enough for you longer term.

There's many many threads on this and other BMW forums about which wires are which in your E36. There are adapators available but depends on which oem head unit you have, Once you remove that, you can cross reference the wires you have and see which adaptor you need to plug into the back of the head unit you choose.

Remove the 'large' amplifier if you don't want it.

For both points above, if you are unsure then I strongly URGE you to go to a local auto electrician who can help install the head unit and remove the amp properly and safely.

Cheers, Dennis!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybee778 View Post
    I have finally gotten tired of using a cassette adapter to listen to my music and I've decided on the Sound Storm Labs ML46DB. However I have no idea if I need a stereo adapter. I don't have the time to go to a stereo shop (closest is over an hour away) to figure it out, so if anybody could please let me know if I need a new harness/adapter or if whatever is in there already should work. I'm sure it's obvious but I have minimal knowledge on what's needed but don't worry as I am a lot better on actually putting things together once I have everything lol
    Also, the previous owners put a BIG ASS amplifier in the trunk that as far as I can tell does nothing at all so not sure if that will affect anything (or if it was ever even connected properly)
    I'm going to agree with what Dennis said and also recommend finding a different head-unit. I've been around these 'cheapy' units and they might not last 6 months. Take a look at the link below; Crutchfield does a wonderful job with their configurator and will tell you right off the bat what will fit/work with your particular model. If you're looking for a budget head-unit, maybe go with Alpine; you can likely find one for around $60-90 USD.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-0esRw5...rselector.aspx
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST