Thread: Need help choosing a flash setup.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4

Need help choosing a flash setup.

Hello. I'm starting to experiment more with flash photography (it's like learning all over again) and although I love having my flash off camera, I'm running into a limitation.

I'm using a cheap (~$35USD) Yongnuo remote flash trigger/transceiver combo with my Speedlight and found a few things I want to do that this current setup won't let me do it just things that I don't like.

1) It doesnt "wake up" the speed light. The speed light goes to sleep/standby mode after a minute or so if not firing. Not so bad when I can quickly reach over and tap the power button on it, but it gets rather annoying when I have it mounted inside a softbox.
    2) I can't adjust the power level remotely. I have to walk over to the light, open up the softbox, adjust, close the softbox, go back to my shooting position and hope my position hasn't changed too much. Then I have to hope the power level is right so I don't have to do it all over again. I understand that a light meter would help me reduce the amount of trips here but I'd like to control lower levels remotely regardless of having a light meter if simply to save some walking/setup time.
    3) No TTL support. Not sure how important that is once I become more versed with flash or how exactly it could help me considering what I'm trying to accomplish; remote power level adjustments, and auto wake up. Is this possible with a Speedlight using a different transceiver setup or am I going to have to get something like a strobe and strobe radio trigger?

In a nutshell: I'd like to remotely control my flash power levels and wake it up (if it goes to sleep). Is this possible with speedlights or do I have to go with a strobe/battery setup?

Gear:
    Nikon D750
    Nikon SB600
    Yongnuo RF 603 N3

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    I wish i was more knowledgeable in flash photography to help :/ I have an inoperable Canon 480 ex ii speedlight, that i have been trying to fix for about a year lol.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    I wish i was more knowledgeable in flash photography to help :/ I have an inoperable Canon 480 ex ii speedlight, that i have been trying to fix for about a year lol.
    lol It's all good. Reached out on a photography-specific forum to confirm what I thought I wanted to go with. I picked up a Yongnuo 622 Receiver/Transmitter combo that should do everything I need. Remote TTL, power control, wake-up, and on-device screen & controls. Should be in later today. I has excite!

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    I haven't used my Pocketwizards in YEARS. If I do use my flash (430ex), it goes on the shoe. Off-camera lighting is far too complicated for me. Lol.

-Dane

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by 97 Ex/SiR View Post
    Off-camera lighting is far too complicated for me. Lol.

Thats where i am at with it also, Ive found it easier to just Hold my hands steadier if im in a situation where i need more light >.<

Thats sick though, Lock i Hope it does what you need! I have an electrical Background and for the Longest Time i thought the "TTL" in flash's represented Transistor - Transistor - Logic Circuits or something, but i guess its through the Lens(e)? lmao.
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 10-13-2017 at 11:23 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Thats where i am at with it also, Ive found it easier to just Hold my hands steadier if im in a situation where i need more light >.<

Thats sick though, Lock i Hope it does what you need! I have an electrical Background and for the Longest Time i thought the "TTL" in flash's represented Transistor - Transistor - Logic Circuits or something, but i guess its through the Lens(e)? lmao.
    Ah, a fellow engineer?

And yes, I always confused it with Transistor-Transistor Logic or Time To Live

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    Through The Lens, nerds.

:P

-Dane