Thread: Business CD PLayer Damaged of Fixable?

My Cars
    too many....

Business CD PLayer Damaged of Fixable?

I came across a 2000 528iT in a Chicago area salvage yard. Apparently it was parked near something that went up in flames, as the entire back of the car is charred and melted (and damn, I really need a rear bumper too!).

Someone went through the interior pretty well as two of the door panels are off, and the dash has been dissembled neatly, including the radio area. I did find the radio and the Business CD player in the back seat, but the CD player seems to have been broken in removal. The front is off the rest of the unit, and the ribbon cable seems to have been pulled loose. Picture hopefully uploaded below.

I am looking to replace the cassette player I have for my 2001 525iT, and wonder if this can be repaired or just goes together this way? Eventually I'll look at other more modern options for sound....

Thanks,

vinceBusiness CD Player.jpg

My Cars
    Too many
    Don't bother with that unit. Find yourself a CD player manufactured after 9/2002 (manufacture date is found on label on the underside of the unit). This will give you aux capability to play music from iPods, telephones, or MP3 players. The aux cable is readily available from Amazon, eBay, or the dealer. It's an easy swap. I just made this upgrade on my 99 528iT, and love the flexibility.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    too many....
    Interesting, thanks! I was wondering how to retrofit that capability. Now the hard part is finding one...

vince

My Cars
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by vinceinIL View Post
    Interesting, thanks! I was wondering how to retrofit that capability. Now the hard part is finding one...

vince
    They aren't that hard to find, but they can be a difficult to find at a reasonable price. Some people recognize what they have, others don't. I found mine on eBay. I see you're located in the Chicago area. You can arrange to receive email alerts from your local LKQ Pick Your Part yard ( www.lkqpickyourpart.com) when an E39 or E53 comes into their yard. Then the problem becomes getting there before someone else does.
    You will also need adapter cables for the antenna, and CD player. The wiring harness for the cassette decks has different plugs than the CD player, and the antenna connection is different as well. I got both of my adapter cables from ECS Tuning. The part numbers are available on REALOEM.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)