Thread: Should I let my 2008 e61 manual go?

My Cars
    2007 bmw 328xi coupe

Should I let my 2008 e61 manual go?

I was lucky to find a 2008 bmw 535xi manual wagon a few months ago and ever since it has been a pain in the butt for problems.
    For one: the electronics were damaged due to the electronics bay getting flooded. We are able to replace the parts that were damaged.
    Now we have air suspension problems that BMW had no luck fixing. We’re still in the process of diagnosing the problem ourselves.

Once we fix this problem we are considering selling it and possibly buy a 2010 Panamera turbo or newer macan.

What do you guys think? I love this car just not that problems it comes with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There is a company that rebùilds the air suspension. You can find the ad in the back of roundel magazine.

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6 spd.manual
    There are going to be a lot of these popping up with all the flooding that occurred in the South due to the hurricanes. Best advice is to unload it. There are enough electrical gotchas with these cars already without having to deal with the aftermath of a flood.

For those of you finding "good deals" on BMWs, make sure you research the vehicle history thoroughly. In most states, cars totaled due to flooding can't be resold without a salvage title.
    2007 530xi, Black Metallic Sapphire, 6 speed manual, Sport package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Satellite Radio, MTech front bumper, Replica Style 166 wheels

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    We really like ours 08 535xit. Bought as cpo with 30k in 2011, now coming up on 130k. Nothing I would really want instead except Mercedes E63 AMG wagon. We will probably keep it 3 more years. It's paid for. I have done all work myself since cpo ended in 2014. I do preventative maintenance. There is a court case on the water damage to electronics and some funds available. I had no issues and have cleaned the drains.

My Cars
    2007 bmw 328xi coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    We really like ours 08 535xit. Bought as cpo with 30k in 2011, now coming up on 130k. Nothing I would really want instead except Mercedes E63 AMG wagon. We will probably keep it 3 more years. It's paid for. I have done all work myself since cpo ended in 2014. I do preventative maintenance. There is a court case on the water damage to electronics and some funds available. I had no issues and have cleaned the drains.
    Thanks
    We also want an e63 amg but they are pretty expensive.

I think we’re Just going to keep it for at least another year. Well try to fix the air suspension problem. Other than that it’s great. Also we want to tune the ECU... MHD flasher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 M6
    One of the most expensive things that can go wrong on a 530xi is the auto tranny. Since you have a manual, I would absolutely keep it. Next most likely to fail parts are the fuel pumps, the AC compressor, liftgate pump or the air suspension. All are fixable by someone with a decent tool kit and DIY experience. I bet the problem with your suspension is most likely fidgety height sensors. That is a relatively inexpensive and easy fix. If you can do your own work, you have the ideal car for keeping long term.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I use the JB4 tune but Cobb or mhd also get good reviews.

I did a preventative maintenance on the trans at 90k -- new pan, fluid, mechatronic sleeve. Have also changed all other fluids, plugs, filters, coils with s55 coils, pads/rotors, oil filter housing to oil cooler and block gaskets, walnut blasting and scraping of intake chambers, vanos solenoids cleaning, radiator hoses, etc.

My Cars
    2008 535xiT Wagon
    Are the electrical issues the type of things that compromise the operation or safety of the vehicle?

I’m looking for an E61, MT preferred. Current daily driver is ‘06 A6 Avant 3.2 Quattro, but there’s just something about the E61 that keeps me searching for one.

I’d be open to a bit of a project. Maybe a trade to bridge the gap to your E63 AMG wagon? I saw one once in NC - I’m pretty sure a rainbow shot out of the sunroof.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Fix the sunroof drains and there should be no electrical concerns

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    I would always stay away from a flooded car. Rust inside electronics (or even wires and connectors) is a disaster waiting to happen. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but the main issue is that rust is a slow process and it may hit at any time, even if you think you've finally fixed everything.

So I'd say just sell it and get yourself another one of the same model. Of course, the Panamera sounds like a lot of fun too. The Macan - not so much. It's basically an Audi Q5 with a bigger engine and stiffer suspension... and neither the Q5, nor the Macan (or any other SUV for that matter) can ever match the feel of a BMW car. So that's why the E61 wagon is such a great option: you can get it with a manual, you can get it with an adequately powerful engine, you have a lot of luggage space, and if you need AWD, that's an option too.