Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather is Creeping Closer. Who Will Winterize First?...

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    well my insurance runs out on October 23... so that it for me weather is still not to bad here. and its a coupe.

winterizing this time for me will be pulling out the motor and trans.. making way for the LS swap... cant wait to get rid of this auto in favor of the T56 Magnum

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
    The Z gets put up for the winter at the first sign of the roads being salted. Stays in hibernation until a good spring rain washes the roads clear of salt and sand.
    This! mostly, this Feb was nice for a while and out it came. But c'mon right now is pure roadster heaven in New England, another month at least before the hardtop goes on, then hopefully a month more before salt season.. I don't even unplug the battery anymore, if winter is real tough I might treat it with the charger..

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    The boat is getting hauled out on October 21, and I have a storage unit rented for the Z3M...

Damn, I hate winter!

Need to take up snowmobiles or something ��

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Now, refresh my memory; what is winterizing again? Isn't that when you take the hardtop OFF to drive around in the nice weather?
    Shhhhh! I tell ya, fall hard top removal day is almost a ceremonial event for me. Year after year. It means a decent break in the humidity has finally arrived and it's enjoyable to drive during the day.

I relish the break in the high dew points. The car is faster and the breeze is cooler.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Just installed the hard top moments ago. Temps today near Philly are quite wintry--after 1pm and sunny, yet it is only about 37 degrees, after being low 20s when I awoke.

The Zed looks good with a top, so I'm not terribly disappointed. As recently as 5 days ago I had it out at night with the top down. It's been a good long inaugural open-car season for me with this car.
    Next, I gotta make arrangements to swap the summer tires on 17s for the stock 16s and all-season rubber. I plan to drive it as much as possible so long as the roads are dry and brine treatments haven't been laid down.

Summer photo of current configuration:
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Back near 70 in Denver today...this global warming thing has really made Z ownership pleasurable 'round these parts.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Back near 70 in Denver today...this global warming thing has really made Z ownership pleasurable 'round these parts.
    Global what? It's going to be 88 today in Phoenix.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    z3
    Just got back from Flagstaff... Was a balmy 60 degrees yesterday up there when we left. Came home to temps in the 80's (and not a drop of moisture in the air)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Looks good, Brad. Monochromatic twotone works, and few do, at least for me.

Besides smaller diameter, do you go narrower too? Floriduh here...

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post

Terry
    Though I have lived all but a handful of years of my life north of the Mason-Dixon line, I'm no expert, Terry. To be honest, this is the first car for which I've had a spare set of wheels specifically shod with sticky summer rubber. By default, I'll just be putting the stock 16s back on, since I bought the car with all-weather tires on them. They are not staggered and are only 225s, I think. Probably not ideal for snow, but I needn't drive this car in snow (and probably won't even try it).
    I had extra wheels with Blizzaks for an A4 I drove 2004-2014 (which normally had boring all-weather tires); that is my only prior experience with having a second set of wheels and dedicated winter tires.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    lulz, I'm doing some general maintenance to prepare to actually drive it more.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Sort of following Mr. Forbes lead, I winterized mine permanently about 3 years ago by relocating it from Wisconsin to South Carolina.
    I do miss the fall colors top down drives tho.
    John

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    We had some snow a few days ago, they didn't salt the roads so the Z is still on the road. More snow forecast for Thursday and Sunday, once the roads get salted, the Z is put up for the winter.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    lulz, I'm doing some general maintenance to prepare to actually drive it more.
    lol, same. I was gonna say... what's this word, "winter"? I mean, I put the hardtop on... Done!
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
    We had some snow a few days ago, they didn't salt the roads so the Z is still on the road. More snow forecast for Thursday and Sunday, once the roads get salted, the Z is put up for the winter.
    Enjoy it while you can, Jim.
    The family & I spent 2 weeks in Maine this summer (mostly hiking MDI)...had to drive the station wagon (with large cruise-missile cargo box on top). I sure wish I could have towed my Z3 for some daytrips along the coast! When will they start salting up there?
    Brad

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.
    From the WayBack Machine: The snow tire/wheel package I bought from Tirerack to run the black car all winter, consisted of 16 X 7" Mille Miglia wheels (spoke pattern cleared calipers), 18 mm spacers for the rear wheels (still didn't bring the wheels out as far as stock Roadstars, but was said to keep rear/outer fender cleaner) and 225/50 Pirelli SnowSports.

I think those lasted 5 winters or so, then I switched to Blizzaks for the next go 'round (no perceivable difference).

As a sort of Murphy's Law thing, I bought a snow tire/wheel package for Sue's X5, figuring that would close the deal on finally moving to Florida. All were sold with the help of a neighbor letting them stay in Ohio until someone bought them__NOBODY buys stuff like that in the spring when we moved, no matter how good the deal is!

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Enjoy it while you can, Jim.
    The family & I spent 2 weeks in Maine this summer (mostly hiking MDI)...had to drive the station wagon (with large cruise-missile cargo box on top). I sure wish I could have towed my Z3 for some daytrips along the coast! When will they start salting up there?
    Brad
    Brad, I was on some roads today, in the X5, that showed signs of salting from Monday's storm. Rain tomorrow should wash it off enough to keep driving the Z for a little while longer. I am thinking that by the 1st of Dec I suspect the Z will be put up for the winter.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I completed the winterization of my Coupe today; I closed the roof hatch.

Marty

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    You nailed it Marty!

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    A new battery:old one 11 yrs.in service, and a bottle of Techron and I'm good.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Boy. Oil change and some other maintenance next week after new Michelin PSS last week and it'll be go go go all 'winter' here. 'Winter' is in quotes because I grew up near Brad where the word was definitely NOT in quotes. I may actually drive the car more between September and March than the other way around, as I only have a commuting job in the winter and the bike (also BMW) gets the 'fun' miles in the summer.
    Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would motor about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Snow tires went on like 2 weeks ago. Bipolar weather down here; usually we get ice rains and stuff without much warning or logic.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The Zed is nicely hibernating and has been for weeks. The snows go on the XC70 this weekend and won't come off until late March/early April. I expect to measure the snow this year in feet.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    I'll parked the Z when the first snow falls. No sign of that the white stuff yet 😁

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    I completed the winterization of my Coupe today; I closed the roof hatch.

Marty
    You nailed it Marty!

Terry
    I usually use screws.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast