Thread: from 4 spoke to 3 spoke steering wheel info

My Cars
    98 e36 m3 Estoril

from 4 spoke to 3 spoke steering wheel info

I had to search around for helpful DIY's so this is what i found when removing a 4 spoke steering wheel and making the switch to the 3 spoke steering wheel. my car is a March 98 production. find out what you have here for correct parts: realoem

First, you'll need to gather a 3 spoke wheel. I was recommened: mr2@abv.bg (this is the email of "Shepott" on this forum. you can google that) I believe that's the correct contact.
    Ill post my steering wheel hear later once completed.
    price was around $300-$350, newly wrapped and includes a used slip ring. (again, ill comment on the product once it's functioning)

here are the links ive used for this DIY: in order of most helpful at the top
    frankies
    2. dougs
    3. pelicanparts

Read frankies through twice. especially the bottom to know which wiring you'll need to configure further than just the horn.
    from frankies "This means you'll only need to splice into the horn wire on the new(or in my case, used) slip ring (part number ending in 111) and replace the steering column switch bracket. The airbag connector will be a direct plug-in, saving time." Note: i didnt read this part first and made the mistake of 1. not making the NEW "switch bracket" ordered and 2. i spliced the airbag connector which wasn't technically needed. This probably wont disrupt the circuit though it dose open the possibility of disconnection down the road. time will tell

Make sure to check if you need the a Right pin or Left pin. This is the "slip ring pin" that is on the black plastic steering column switch bracket. noted on Frankies picture under step 8.
    This may not always be the case but for me, I need the Slip Ring Pin on the left, not the right which is what my 4 spoke has.
    I ordered this switch bracket and new pin:
    32311162088 , 32341156341

Last edited by zactastic; 10-08-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Estoril

My Cars
    98 e36 m3 Estoril
    I also ordered a new steering shaft bearing: 32311158835
    and
    snap ring:

people have mentioned this is a good time to change the plastic bearing while in there as youll notice little black pieces from it's eventual break down.

*Please excuse me if there are any typo's or grammatical errors above. im fighting a cold and delium is setting in after trying to figure out this swap.
    Estoril

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    I did this, using Frankie's write-up and also replacing the bearing.
    Was not fun, nor easy, but my Euro 3-spoke wheel is 100% my fav part of the user interface of the vehicle.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    98 e36 m3 Estoril
    bearing wasn't replaced on mine yet. my lock ring pliers weren't that helpful, nor was using small pliers and flat head screw drivers. here is a link to the process of removing the steering lock assembly and some extra photos that may be helpful for removing the slip ring or other parts.

link here

The 3 spoke steering works great, no codes were switched on during the assembly. It's probably best to do the bearing replacement at the same time BUT i wasnt able to. A good point about doing just the steering wheel and air bag swap is that i can always go back and do to bearing later. One thought for me was if something bad were to happen after i replaced the bearing i might not be able to tell if its the steering wheel or bearing. so now i have some time to get use to the new steering wheel and decide if and when i can go back in and replace the bearing.
    Estoril