My Cars
    2015 BMW X5

2015 X5 F15 brake pad question

Hello
    I just registered to the forum (though ive been reading it for quite a long time) and i have a doubt regarding electronic calipers. Before continuing, i must say i did start a thread regarding this matter but for some reason it did not get posted.

Anyway, the story goes like this: I was talking to a friend and i said that replacing brake pads for the X5 F15 is an easy task, remove tire, some bolts, replace old pads with news ones, compress the caliper and thats it (plus changing the sensors aswel), then enter the service menu, reset and voila, all working for good.

And then my friend asked me: How did you compress the caliper, when its actually an electronic one? If you did it without a scanner, its more likely you messed the caliper.

And this is where i started to freak out hehe, because my car is running smooth, brakes (front rear plus parking) work just perfect, so instead of thinking im just a lucky person, i would like to learn more regarding this matter , which is actually new to me.

Did i mess anything?

Your advice is appreciated

regards

M

My Cars
    X5 xdrive50i
    I don’t have your vehicle, I have an E70 but I’m pretty sure you need a scan tool / computer to change the rear brakes because of the parking brake.

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5
    Hi
    Thanks for your answer. Im aware of that (now!) but i wonder how i was able to replace the rear brakes without such and without breaking anything? Regarding the scan tool/computer, where can i buy such?

thank you!

Assuming the F15 is similar to the F25,it can be done without using a scan tool to retract the caliper. I did them on my X3. You have to remove the motor drive from the back of the caliper and manually crank it out. Search YouTube for BMW EPB.

Since then I bought a Foxwell NT510 scan tool which will do it. Same device as the Schwaben scanner. Saves a little time.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    Assuming the F15 is similar to the F25,it can be done without using a scan tool to retract the caliper. I did them on my X3. You have to remove the motor drive from the back of the caliper and manually crank it out. Search YouTube for BMW EPB.

Since then I bought a Foxwell NT510 scan tool which will do it. Same device as the Schwaben scanner. Saves a little time.
    i did it (twice already) without removing the motor drive from the back. After i watched that video i came to this forum to ask about this. I wonder how i did not mess anything, im still worried though.

Regarding the tool, thanks for the recommendation, will look for it

My Cars
    You didn't do any damage. E70's and F15's do not have the same electric calipers as the F10 and F25. The E70 and F15 use a standard caliper, and normal parking shoes inside the rotor. There is an electronic servo mounted underneath the vehicle that pulls the cable (just like you pulling on the handbrake).

You do not have to put E70 or F15 into "service mode" to replace the rear brakes.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    You didn't do any damage. E70's and F15's do not have the same electric calipers as the F10 and F25. The E70 and F15 use a standard caliper, and normal parking shoes inside the rotor. There is an electronic servo mounted underneath the vehicle that pulls the cable (just like you pulling on the handbrake).

You do not have to put E70 or F15 into "service mode" to replace the rear brakes.
    wow thanks for such detailed answer, thats exactly what i wanted to know. Many thanks!