Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fail: DIY'ing a falling headliner

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Fail: DIY'ing a falling headliner

In short: don't try it.

Since I read about people repairing a falling headliner using spray glue, I thought I would give it a try. How hard could it be? I started with the pillar covers as a test, since they are easily removed.

Pulling off the fabric reveals the messy orange goo. About 30% sticks to the fabric. Using an old paint scraper, I go through about 10,000 paper towels scraping it off the covers, while it sticks to everything I touch. Chemical solvents help keep my hands clean, eventually resulting in nausea.

Next, in order to re-use the original fabric, I try to remove the orange goo from the fabric as best I can while going through another 10,000 paper towels.

Next it's time for the spray glue.

Keeping the covers downwind, I spray on the glue. But no matter how it's done, some glue always gets on your clothes and skin -- and up your nose -- because the wind shifts. Time for more chemical solvents, and more nausea.

Applying the fabric to the covers isn't too bad, just getting it to align as before is a bit challenging. Let it dry overnight. In the morning, I sample the results, but something's not right. The glue isn't holding. I can peel the fabric off the cover with minimal effort. What a joke.

I'm sorry, but I really don't know what world people live in when they talk about using glue...for anything. I've come to hate glue. Glue is for children to play with. I would've had better results using bird crap instead, because that won't come off after it dries. Spray glue has the holding power of dried chewing gum.

No more fooling around. I'm off to seek the services of a professional auto upholsterer.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i Sport
    Reusing the fabric is a fool's errand. The reason headliners fall is that the foam backing deteriorates - that's the goo - and once it's lost it's bond to the fabric, the fabric has very little ability to adhere to any surface, regardless of what adhesive you use.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Oh my, reusing the fabric would create additional issues indeed! It causes you to have to take extra unnecessary care. I would have instead replaced it with a foam-backed suede, like I did. If you review my mini restomod thread, it gave some input. Yes, it's time-consuming (but not overly complicated). I used latex gloves and also a scraper to remove the yellow goop. Took a couple of hours, but then left me with a clean backing for the 3M Spray on glue. It's been about 2 years and it's still holding on tight.

EDIT: Post #26 addresses the headliner work I did: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Last edited by aom7; 10-08-2017 at 08:46 PM.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I feel your pain, but your post was a great read

It's not worth the effort, though, as an auto upholsterer won't cost all that much to have the pieces done. I took all mine out of the car, so the only labor was them cleaning stuff and applying the new material. I went with the suede material. The material isn't all that expensive. Most of the cost is the labor.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Yeah, reusing the fabric is a severe no-go.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Regardless of fabric used, there's still the issue of the glue. It simply is a joke (3M "Super 77" for fabric yadda yadda). I tested it separately on some clean fabric and cardboard. Chewing gum would've worked better.

I've used ABS cement (on ABS plastic), metal epoxy (on metal), wood glue (on wood), and Liquid Nails on light-duty household jobs. None of it holds up. In fact, I've used Elmer's glue to secure small areas of sagging fabric and it holds better than this spray stuff. I'm convinced now more than ever, there simply isn't a glue sold at retail stores worth a crap.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    3 Series
    It sounds like you were working outside. Did you leave it outside to dry? What was the temperature like? Temps and humidity will affect drying time.

The 3M spray adhesive definitely works very well so there must be another variable.

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i Sport
    DId you let both surfaces get tacky then bond them together? It won't work well at all if you join the surfaces while the adhesive is wet.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Yeah, don't bother reusing the fabric, it's garbage. Remove the headliner and take it to an upholstery shop, it really shouldn't be much money since you've done the labor of actually removing the headliner. And you may as well upgrade to an alcantara/suede, it feels a lot more premium and looks really nice in these cars.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Yeah, don't bother reusing the fabric, it's garbage. Remove the headliner and take it to an upholstery shop, it really shouldn't be much money since you've done the labor of actually removing the headliner. And you may as well upgrade to an alcantara/suede, it feels a lot more premium and looks really nice in these cars.
    This seems to be the best way to do it, but I don't think I have a car big enough to carry my E38's headliner. Unless you can somehow fit it in the car behind the front seats?

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    I've previously used 3M 77 on headliners and it does the job fairly well. As others have said, you have to put it on both surfaces and let it dry to tacky first (and not use TOO much or it will be too wet). And any remaining glue on the headliner material is going to interfere with the 77's ability to bond - and it's unlikely you could really properly remove the old adhesive even if you've gotten most of the orange stuff off.... there's still chemical residue there.

Having said all that, I came to prefer 3M 76 instead. I found it came out in more of a dry webbing - a cross between silly string and what you'd imagine Spiderman's webbing to be like - instead of the more atomized spray of the 77. Again, spray both surfaces and then let it dry until tack, then press them together.

Another tip with headliners is to let them dry at least overnight in a warm, dry location before you put them back in the car. This lets the whole thing dry and cure without gravity trying to pull the material back away from the headliner backing material.

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    I'm in the same boat, went the DIY route on my 840, but learned my lesson and will have it done professionally on the 750, I would be curious to see what it ends up costing you.

Are you going to do a suede/alacantra or regular cloth?
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
    '92 Olds Toronado Trofeo (Project)

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)
    '20 M2:Competition 6spd (Sold)

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    This seems to be the best way to do it, but I don't think I have a car big enough to carry my E38's headliner. Unless you can somehow fit it in the car behind the front seats?
    I removed mine in the parking lot of the place. Then reinstalled in the parking lot. Not the easiest thing to do, but once you remove the sunroof glass a couple times, it becomes super easy.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1998 e38 740il
    Sorry to hear you went through such hell. Like others already mentioned, reusing the old fabric was a no go. Headliner Magic for instance is a good supplier to use along with headliner spray glue that's made for high temps. Sprays like a web pattern, allow it to dry briefly to tackiness and slowly apply pressure to follow the contours. Work section by section from center outwards.
    I've never done one previously, but I spent one day to remove and clean everything. One day to prep and apply the new liner and one overnight for everything to dry. this included the sunroof cover too. Reinstalled on the third day and came out good as new. Yes, I do live on planet earth as this is very possible to do if you take your time with the right materials.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonevickis View Post
    ...went the DIY route on my 840, but learned my lesson...Are you going to do a suede/alacantra or regular cloth?
    A lesson indeed. Never again.

The reason I tried to retain the original fabric is because I don't like aftermarket choices: none are as nice as OEM. And definitely not suede. I had suede installed in my 840 and regretted it...made the car look ghetto-fabulous.

I hate dealing with issues like this: a lot of work for not-as-good-as-original results.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    My 750 headliner and pillars wrapped right up with $20 a can 3m stuff. I used three cans and let both sides tack up. Used weights on the recesses and stuff and it came out like factory.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    Hey Frankie, sorry to hear about your failed repair. I feel your pain! I tried to fix the sagging headliner in the rear: used proper headliner glue and paint rollers to make even pressure (no finger indents!). Looked great... for 1 day! The next day the old fabric separated again.

For those who have replaced the fabric (headliner and/or pillars) = did you use similar color of the new fabric as the original stuff? Curious only because of the plastic pieces like map lights, handlebars, etc.
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    For mine, I used the black alcantara with foam backing. For the handles, bezels, etc. I just used black interior trim paint (I forget the brand at the moment, but it was mentioned here before). It's been about 3 years, the black painted pieces are holding up well (no peeling, etc) and everything looks factory.

EDIT: and I used a black fabric spray paint to paint the sun visors (and actually, the rear decklid since I had that removed too and it was a little faded).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aom7; 10-12-2017 at 09:19 PM.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    Perfect, thank you! I may have to duplicate your car
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Here's an option too. Mine isn't falling down yet but I guess it's just a matter of time.

https://www.headlinerexpress.com/imp...e38-p-794.html
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskii View Post
    Perfect, thank you! I may have to duplicate your car
    I think if you're going to put all that work in, going for an "upgrade" rather than the stock look makes the most sense. Also, my E39 M5 had a black alcantara headliner, so I feel that it's in keeping with BMW design (and brings back fond memories of that car for me!).

MODS:

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    You can get black parts like visor lights and visors and stuff from x5 and 5 series parts.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Just got a quote for $250 for headliner + sunroof panel + pillars. (Self-removal/installation.)

They won't do sun visors, as I suspected, since it's not a part covered with fabric, but instead is a part with integrated fabric (or something like that).

The material will be the standard issue "sand beige", which is a downgrade from OEM and slightly lighter in color...but there are no other good choices.

Not looking forward to it, but I will pull the trigger next week.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Just got a quote for $250 for headliner + sunroof panel + pillars. (Self-removal/installation.)

They won't do sun visors, as I suspected, since it's not a part covered with fabric, but instead is a part with integrated fabric (or something like that).

The material will be the standard issue "sand beige", which is a downgrade from OEM and slightly lighter in color...but there are no other good choices.

Not looking forward to it, but I will pull the trigger next week.
    Having the fabric not match would bother the hell out of me. I also don't like the look of Alcantara/Suede either. Did you check the link for www.headlinerexpress.com that posted earlier? They sell OEM BMW headliner fabric that would be a perfect match.
    My headliner is still intact but I know it's just a matter of time. I try always park in the garage at home and use are parking garage at work to keep it out of the heat as much as possible....

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by BillConn View Post
    Having the fabric not match would bother the hell out of me. I also don't like the look of Alcantara/Suede either. Did you check the link for www.headlinerexpress.com that posted earlier? They sell OEM BMW headliner fabric that would be a perfect match.
    My headliner is still intact but I know it's just a matter of time. I try always park in the garage at home and use are parking garage at work to keep it out of the heat as much as possible....
    nice find...
    2000 740i Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast