Thread: Do I have stock or aftermarket Downpipes?

My Cars
    08 335i e92, e39 touring

Do I have stock or aftermarket Downpipes?

I recently bought a 335i, the car is bone stock but I suspect the downpipes are upgraded? How would I be able to tell when I go under the car? The car backfires more than other 335is I've been in that is what made me suspicious. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 e90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Basedtiger View Post
    I recently bought a 335i, the car is bone stock but I suspect the downpipes are upgraded? How would I be able to tell when I go under the car? The car backfires more than other 335is I've been in that is what made me suspicious. Thank you

Get a smog lol. I'm not sure, I'd like to know how one could check to see if they are aftermarket.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Open the hood and look down the exhaust side of the engine. Factory downpipes are bronze colored with BMW logos engraved on them. You can look up what catless ones look like. You can see them from the engine bay. People only upgrade the downpipe if they tune, otherwise there is no point/gains. Catless downpipes also make your exhaust smell really strongly like unburnt fuel, like a boat or old muscle car.

My Cars
    08 335i e92, e39 touring
    Thanks you're right I realized they're oem, maybe my engine just running healthy at the moment

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I really wouldn't expect backfires from a 335i running OEM downpipes. Is it possible that your car has a flash tune on it? MHD has a burble setting that can make the car backfire. If you get the MHD app and a K+DCAN cable, you can see if it is tuned for free. Do you get consistent backfires when you let off after a pull?

My Cars
    08 335i e92, e39 touring
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    I really wouldn't expect backfires from a 335i running OEM downpipes. Is it possible that your car has a flash tune on it? MHD has a burble setting that can make the car backfire. If you get the MHD app and a K+DCAN cable, you can see if it is tuned for free. Do you get consistent backfires when you let off after a pull?
    It looks like I have stock downpipes, I do hear a slight backfire but nothing like the burble option that can come with MHD. I'm considering MHD anything else I should replace other than plugs, ignition coils, cleaning intake valves, and major potential leaking gaskets before I tune my car to Stage 1. Also have u heard anything about the Bavarian Autosport performance ignition coils?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    It looks like I have stock downpipes, I do hear a slight backfire but nothing like the burble option that can come with MHD. I'm considering MHD anything else I should replace other than plugs, ignition coils, cleaning intake valves, and major potential leaking gaskets before I tune my car to Stage 1. Also have u heard anything about the Bavarian Autosport performance ignition coils?

MHD is fine, but I would steer clear of the burble option. The burble option explodes unburned fuel inside the turbo, which will kill the turbo very quickly.
    Your list of pre-tune maintenance pretty much covers everything, you should be in good shape. The Bavarian Autosport coils are supposed to be pretty great. At your target performance level, you could run stock coils, but the BavAuto ones are a nice upgrade.