RM European Auto Parts

Thread: where is the clutch master cylinder located

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport

where is the clutch master cylinder located

Hello all. Have a 2005 x5 spot package model. can someone tell me where the clutch master cylinder is located? or does it share the same master cylinder as the brake system. Thanks

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The clutch master cylinder lives at the top of the clutch pedal.

The brakes and the clutch use the same fluid reservoir; there's a braided hose (often blue in color) going from the rear corner of that reservoir, through the firewall, to the clutch master cylinder.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    The clutch master cylinder lives at the top of the clutch pedal.

The brakes and the clutch use the same fluid reservoir; there's a braided hose (often blue in color) going from the rear corner of that reservoir, through the firewall, to the clutch master cylinder.
    Thanks for the reply.

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    took a look underneath the dash, saw something that looks like a master cylinder that the clutch pedal is connected to, but no braided line. saw an olive green rigid line attached to one end of the cylinder tho. Will take a second look again and see if I can't post a pic. Thanks

My Cars
    Obviously the hard line is the pressure line going down to the slave cylinder. The rubber fill line is there somewhere. What is the problem you're experiencing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Obviously the hard line is the pressure line going down to the slave cylinder. The rubber fill line is there somewhere. What is the problem you're experiencing?

thanks for responding. I was trying to locate the clutch master cylinder. From what I saw, it had a piston rod attached to the clutch pedal. but another poster had said that there would be a braided line attached to it. My problem is that last week was attempting to drive the veh. and when I stepped on the clutch pedal it just sprung right to the floor. as if it was spring loaded. no resistance at all. was able to lift the pedal back but, when stepping on it, it would do the same thing again. will try to post a pic. when I get off work later. It's an 05 x5 sport package. Thanks

My Cars
    That could be any number of problems. Master cylinder, slave cylinder, or the clutch itself.

ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1.

And yes, there is a hose coming in which feeds the clutch master cylinder from the reservoir.

However, I'd personally recommend that you start at the slave cylinder, rather than the master cylinder. Firstly, it fails more often, secondly, it's a whole helluva lot easier to swap, and third, it's cheaper, too.

Crawl under the vehicle, and see if you can find a somewhat clear fluid dripping from the bellhousing. While you're under there (with a good flashlight), have a look at the pipe and hose which feed the slave cylinder. See any leaks anywhere?

Is your brake fluid reservoir full to above the nipple on the side where the braided hose comes off? (That's really the very first thing to check) (If it's not, you are losing brake fluid somewhere!)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    Thanks, will check tomorrow. too dark now.

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    well, finally was able to confirm what I was looking at was the clutch master cylinder base on parts picture of what it looks like. it has a stiff fabric type hose attach to the appendage which is hidden by the master cylinder. was able to feel that and also saw a similar hose coming from the reservoir into the firewall. no leaks around the cylinder or slave valve. will give it a shot and replace both parts. hopefully it's not the clutch itself. keeping my fingers cross.

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    can the clips that hold the clutch pedal be reused? also there is a wire plug that's attached to the master cylinder. how does that come off? I'm squeezing it and I don't see anything moving. Thanks

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    There's nothing electric on the clutch master cylinder.

You should really do the slave cylinder first; it is by far the most likely failure item, and SO much easier to swap....just did one on an M3 today. Took me 15 minutes to diag it, and 15 more to swap it and bleed.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    here's the pic. KIMG0436.jpg there's definitely a wire bundle attached to the side of it. looks like it's anchored there just to keep it from dangling. Thanks
    Last edited by richierich60; 10-20-2017 at 12:59 PM.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    that's the clutch switch - it reads position and allows the vehicle to be started when the clutch is pressed in, etc.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    that's the clutch switch - it reads position and allows the vehicle to be started when the clutch is pressed in, etc.
    thanks for the response. so how do I disconnect it? I tried squeezing it every which way. but it isn't budging. another question. should I be able to see the clutch fork when I remove the slave cylinder? all I see is empty space in the transmission. excuse me for my ignorance. first time messing with the transmission. Thanks again

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    see attachment - it's keyed both on the switch and on the plug itself.

also, another tip - if you are trying to figure out how something can be removed, do a quick search and look at the part itself - i've done this many times (or, i'll look at the new part) and it usually helps me to understand how the engineers decided to install the part!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shadowpuck; 10-20-2017 at 05:52 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Oh, good god. I can't believe that BMW built the damned clutch switch into the freaking master cylinder. How stupid can you get?

Sorry richie; that's the first time I've seen that; the clutch switch usually lives on the pedal bracket. And that's all the more reason for you to swap the slave cylinder first....because that master cylinder will be damned expensive, now that some idiot designed the switch into it!

That type of electric plug simply pulls out; no squeezing involved (the one furthest away, in the photo). The one closest in the photo probably has a catch, but I can't identify it from the photo, sorry.

Seriously, I highly recommend you swap the slave cylinder first.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT:

Okay, I see that the switch is a separate item:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=21_0153

That will save you money, IF you replace the master. I would still recommend replacing the slave first. There's a very good chance you'll find it's wet, when you pull it free of the bellhousing. Half the price of the master, and easier to swap too.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Fortunately you can get the switch separate - at least on e46.
    i would agree - clutch slave definitely more likely.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    We overlapped, I see, my friend! Thanks for keeping me on my toes, and correcting me when I err!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    thanks for the responses. so, if I have to purchase a new master, I'll have to purchase the oem brand and not an aftermarket one? have the slave cylinder out. didn't notice any leaks. was a little wet, but don't know if it was from the hydraulic line that I disconnected. will install the new slave and keep fingers cross. Thanks for all the help.

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    Sorry so late with the post. a little update on my project. Replaced the slave cylinder and nothing changed. replaced the master a couple of days ago and the car is working again. outwardly neither the slave or master appeared to be defective. no leaks, the pistons on both appear to be working ok. the only difference that I noticed was that the old brake fluid was very dark compared to the new stuff. thanks everyone for the help.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    From following the Techs footsteps and reading what they've written before on this forum, the master cylinder can fail without leaking or looking defective.
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    2005 x5 sport
    Quote Originally Posted by WadiM3 View Post
    From following the Techs footsteps and reading what they've written before on this forum, the master cylinder can fail without leaking or looking defective.
    Thanks

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2006
    Hi I have a bmw x3 which is having a delay in the clutch pedal especially when in town but, I am not loosing any fluid in the brake reservoir, so I don't seem to think it is the slave cylinder but could be wrong I am yet to look to see if there is any oil around the clutch slave but any thoughts