RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Hesitation issues and a lope in idle please help

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is

Hesitation issues and a lope in idle please help

Iv been trying to find vacume leaks the car hasitates and lopes in idle please help with any advice on how to fix this issue im very new to working on this bmw 325is btw just replaced air boot did nothing still hesitates its a 92 im hoping theres something im not doing and can maybe learn what i need to do to fix my car thanks

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Have you purchased a Bentley shop manual yet?

If you think it's a vacuum leak, the best way to find it is to have a smoke test completed.

A quick short test would be to take the oil filler cap off, if there is no change, they you have a vacuum leak.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Have you purchased a Bentley shop manual yet?

If you think it's a vacuum leak, the best way to find it is to have a smoke test completed.

A quick short test would be to take the oil filler cap off, if there is no change, they you have a vacuum leak.
    Really i actually did pull off the oil fill cap to put my hand over it n see if idle changed it still idled a little rough i also noticed my drive belt tensioner pully was kinda wobbling would that have anyrhing to do with loss of power n hesitation around 2500 rpms so what am i looking for as far as when i take the oil cap off ? Should the idle normally get rough?

- - - Updated - - -

Also i have a hayns manual it seems to have some things but not much

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Haynes is the red headed step-child.

Yes, like I wrote above: A quick short test would be to take the oil filler cap off, if there is no change, then you have a vacuum leak. So if the idle stays the same, you have a vacuum leak. If the idle gets rougher, then we have other directions to look in.

That pulley wobbling around probably doesn't have anything to do with your power loss, but if it snaps off, you will have other problems to deal with.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Definitely buy a Bentley manual. The Haynes manual sux. Replace that pulley asap or else you’ll have some very expensive repairs ahead. Actually, replace both pulleys and the main serpentine belt.

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Definitely buy a Bentley manual. The Haynes manual sux. Replace that pulley asap or else you’ll have some very expensive repairs ahead. Actually, replace both pulleys and the main serpentine belt.
    The pully is the tensioner i actually have a brand new one so i was playing around and thaught about when i replaced the starter i had someone do it and the far bolt on the intake under the cowing was loose i was able to crank it about a full turn i sprayd everywhere looking for vacume leaks cant seen to find one so im actually looking into replacing the coil packs i actually had another set from another parts car i put them in and it kinda runs a little worse so im to poor to afgord really expensive packs i found some off brand on parts geek they look the same i think they are calld replacement brand but hell i think a new set is better than 25 year old coil packs theres other really cheap brands on ebay for like 60$ a set the set im hoping to get is 150$ i figured if anything it could deff use a newer set even if nothing changes on the running condition but i really hope shit changes for me iv looked at about everything i can and cant find anyone that can scan this car so i hope i can get it running proper before i start my new job cuz its getting shit for milage i may as well have a v8 mustang so thanks im hoping you can share some info on packs im getting middle of the road packs i wish i could get bremi or bosch but 300 $ is way to much as of now

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is
    My belt btw is in great condition none of the actual pullys are wobbling its just the tensioner pully the one in the box new actually looks like its about the same but ima replace it anyhow its the kind that turns not the type that compresses can i maybe just put the new whel on the old tensioner? Also when i get cash coming in i will def put bocsh packs in it im goina just throw the ones from parts geek in in hopes of better running condition till i can get bosch it has new plugs so new packs the way there designed now days should be okay i hope

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for goofy spelling lmao my phone sucks as well. My spelling dose

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is
    Also my charcoal canister has two lines on top one to back one to the intake theres a third line out the bottom it stops at motor mount connects to nothing is that suppost to be like that guys

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    There should be a blue line attached to it. Then you have a black rubber line coming off next to the blue line, and that one goes to the intake. I am not sure where you get a 3rd line from.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1709
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is
    Its coming out the bottom is it a vent cuz there is nothing connected?