RM European Auto Parts

Thread: M52 Head Gasket Replacement NEED HELP

My Cars
    1999 323is turbo build

M52 Head Gasket Replacement NEED HELP

How is it going everyone? Recently I purchased a 323is with the intention of swapping a m52b28 and adding a turbo. I have been doing extensive research to start on my build but I need some help. I recently found a m52b28 with low mileage out of an automatic car. I have been calling different shops in the area to install my arp head studs, cut ring head gasket, and s52 cams however prices are out of my budget. I read up on the forums and it mentioned that someone within the community around my area would be willing to help me perhaps.

I am wondering if there is anyone in the SoCal Los Angeles area that would like to help me out with this part of my project. Please feel free to let me know how I can reimburse you for your time as this is something I would love to learn how to do as well as get this project rolling.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hi Ryan - hopefully you're able to find someone to assist you with this project. To make it a bit easier for both of you, I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech article on this procedure. Hope this helps you a bit and best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ead-Gasket.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Ryan, for future reference, it's pretty important that you provide the bodyshell and the production date. E36s and E46s were produced in the same year, and though "M52b28" seems like a good description, it begs the question whether you're perhaps trying to swap a TU (dual vanos) engine into a single vanos car...or vice-versa. Especially when a swap is being considered, the full information about the donor and receiver are crucial.

You might want to copy your post to the Bimmerforums regional forum for the LA area. Also, if you're a member of BMWCCA, you'll likely find people through your local chapter who will be willing to help.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    I'm willing to bet it's an e36
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    m52 headbolt threads 002.JPGBefore you spend any $$ on an unknown and likely overheated M52 check that the head bolt threads haven't been ripped from the block. It gets lots more involved and unless an otherwise excellent engine often results in scrapping the block.
    Before dismantling go around and attempt to re-torque each bolt to spec., any ruined threads won't hold much, if any torque.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    That's why I was asking about the year and model. Most M52s have iron blocks, the last M52TUs don't.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471