Thread: Getting Emission Sticker for imported 1983 635CSi

My Cars
    1983 BMW 635CSi

Getting Emission Sticker for imported 1983 635CSi

I recently purchased a 1983 635CSi that was imported in 1984. I'm trying to get it registered in California but it has no emission sticker so I'm having a hard time. Anyone else have this experience? Any thoughts on how I can get a sticker?

My Cars
    '73 ///M2, '85 ///M635
    Is this a gray market car?

What's the VIN?

If gray market, you likely need a CARB sticker. If there isn't one, you may have a long, long, expensive uphill battle.

Good luck,

Ray

My Cars
    '83 E24-'89 C124-'07 P2
    You better get to the DMV. As far as I know, you need to at least prove that the car has been previously registered in the US. Even then I’m not sure you can register it here. I’ve seen grey market cars here, but only if originally imported to California in the early 80’s.

I, too, wish you luck.
    '83 633CSI manual balticblau/perlbeige
    '89 Mercedes 300CE diamintblau/mondria
    ’94 Mercedes E320 Coupe Schwarz/Palomino
    '07 Volvo S60 2.5T vide grön/beige

My Cars
    87 M6, 95 M3, 04 325Xi,
    If gray market, its a long and expensive process. Went through it years ago, but the regs looks to still be the same. Basically, CA requires that you have the car certified to meet CA emissions requirements for that model year. Its not a sniffer test, but the full EPA test cycle a manufacturer would go through. There used to be 2 labs in CA that could do this testing - In Napa or Orange County. Don't know if that's changed but the Napa place did my car and they seem to still be in business. Once certified, titled, etc, you will get a BAR sticker for the car and it can then be tested at normal test centers.

Call these guys from the Napa Lab http://www.ncdlinc.com/HOME.html and they can probably walk you through the process and costs. Better be sitting down and hope your car is pristine or the costs will exceed its value.

Good luck, and welcome to CA
    Dave

'87 M6, '95 M3, '04 325XiT. '15 328XiT

My Cars
    84/B7,02/540x2,88,M6
    Was the car registered in CA at any time since import? If yes then there is a BAR sticker assigned to it . Part of problem ,unlike today the did not digitize info back then but should still be available fromDMV for your vin.
    if out of state registered only, like previous mention good luck with that, not going to be easy if at all.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 635CSi
    Thank you, I will reach out to this group, I happen to live near napa

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the car was originally imported to California in 1984, I'll head to the DMV to see if they can dig anything up

My Cars
    1993 M3, 1988 535is
    I'm interested in this, too, but my situation is different. I'll be moving back to California next year after living in France for 5 years and I need to find out if it's feasible to bring the e36 M3 I have here. It's a European market 1993 model with the 3.0L 286 hp engine, catalytic converter, etc, so it meets current EU standards, including a smog test. Advice based on experience greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance--

My Cars
    1993 M3, 1988 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic745 View Post
    If gray market, its a long and expensive process. Went through it years ago, but the regs looks to still be the same. Basically, CA requires that you have the car certified to meet CA emissions requirements for that model year. Its not a sniffer test, but the full EPA test cycle a manufacturer would go through. There used to be 2 labs in CA that could do this testing - In Napa or Orange County. Don't know if that's changed but the Napa place did my car and they seem to still be in business. Once certified, titled, etc, you will get a BAR sticker for the car and it can then be tested at normal test centers.

Call these guys from the Napa Lab http://www.ncdlinc.com/HOME.html and they can probably walk you through the process and costs. Better be sitting down and hope your car is pristine or the costs will exceed its value.

I emailed the lab in Napa and got a reply back today saying they don't do this anymore for "direct imports."

If I find another solution, I'll post it here. Suggestions welcome...

My Cars
    '85 635 CSI
    Move to Alabama, I’ve had full race bikes plated here. We can get a tag for about anything and no emissions testing!

My Cars
    6/83 1984 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by burchgreene View Post
    I recently purchased a 1983 635CSi that was imported in 1984. I'm trying to get it registered in California but it has no emission sticker so I'm having a hard time. Anyone else have this experience? Any thoughts on how I can get a sticker?
    My old gray market 635csi was actually imported to California originally, and it had a Johnson box with an O2 sensor, a cat installed etc just to be compliant back in the day. As stated you are going to spend some money just to get it to pass emissions, but before you do reach out to some local shops to get some more education. I got my 745i from Cali because it was labelled a gross polluter.
    Here in AZ register as classic with proof of classic insurance=done
    alpinweiß on anthrazit buffalo 1984 745i, 2014 Fiesta ST, 1984 635csi 1986 635csi 1987 L6 1999 M coupe 2002 M3 1995 325i 1976 200​2, 2001 996 TT 1994 850 T5 wagon 1998 GTi VR6 1983 scirocco

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic745 View Post

Can I just say just how ridiculously stupid this procedure is? And the associated regulations and people that came up with it? I realize CA probably has some smog PTSD from the bad old days, but the few cars left from that era surely could be given a bit of a pass now. The few that are being driven cannot add up to any measurable impact, even if they are "dirty." Maybe just do the "sniffer" test alone? If it passes, it passes, who cares what equipment is on the car after 30y.

I lived in SoCal for a few years (has been 15 since I moved back) and while I was there bought and restored a '69 Mustang. I am glad it did not require any of this bull guano, I guess it was pre-emissions, and it was purchased in LA originally....

I realize this reply was not helpful in any way...

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)