Thread: Securing the removable subwoofer box

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan

Securing the removable subwoofer box

I have an E36 M3 sedan with fold down seats. I'm about to get a 10" sealed box for a subwoofer that I want to place against the rear seats. I want to be able to easily remove the sub box to use the fold down seats, but I need to secure it for canyon runs, freeway onramps, etc.

I was thinking of mounting it to a piece of plywood that is just wide enough to fit between the wheel wells, which will hold it from side-to-side. To secure it front to back, I was thinking of a ratchet strap, but not sure where to hook it to. I could also put in some bolts from the underside of the trunk sheet metal, close to the wheel wells so they won't be in the way too much, and bolt the plywood to that.

What have other people done? I have heard of people replacing the spare tire cover with plywood or MDF and attaching the sub to that, but then you have this massive piece of wood with a sub box attached to it to remove and then where do you put it if you need to use the fold down seats and are not at home?
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    N/A
    Perhaps Velcro? That's what I used in another car and it worked great on that car's carpets.

My Cars
    E36
    Mine is in the back left corner of my trunk. Just a standard walmart 10" box. I added a piece of plywood to the box that extends upwards to the top of the trunk 'roof'. This keeps it vertically put, and for side to side, I have a ziptie through said piece of ply wood and that zip ties to the trunk 'roof' (I think I did drill 2 holes). As for fore-aft motion, it kind of stays put on its own...and the zip ties helps. Painted it all black and it doesn't look bad compared to a big ugly sub being there in the first place.

So when I got AutoX...I just cut the ziptie, and rotate the entire box out of the trunk. (and undo the couple wires).

It's been exactly all that I wanted.
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 10-09-2017 at 01:11 AM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    Mine is in the back left corner of my trunk. Just a standard walmart 10" box. I added a piece of plywood to the box that extends upwards to the top of the trunk 'roof'. This keeps it vertically put, and for side to side, I have a ziptie through said piece of ply wood and that zip ties to the trunk 'roof' (I think I did drill 2 holes). As for fore-aft motion, it kind of stays put on its own...and the zip ties helps. Painted it all black and it doesn't look bad compared to a big ugly sub being there in the first place.

So when I got AutoX...I just cut the ziptie, and rotate the entire box out of the trunk. (and undo the couple wires).

It's been exactly all that I wanted.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Did you buy a box already? I made a box that sits over the battery and can be secured with an L-bracket that bolts to the factory CD changer stud. I did shave down the tail light bulb cover and a few of the sockets to get the most air space.

IMG_5755.jpg
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightfreak12 View Post
    Pics?
    It takes up a bit of space...but not enough to be a pita. Pardon the dirty filty car...It's been way too long between cleans

IMG_7976.jpg
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    Did you buy a box already? I made a box that sits over the battery and can be secured with an L-bracket that bolts to the factory CD changer stud. I did shave down the tail light bulb cover and a few of the sockets to get the most air space.

IMG_5755.jpg
    Wow, that is really nicely integrated. Would you mind sharing more info on how it was built; box dimensions, amp and sub specs, etc?

Also wondering what you guys think of the sound? In my previous research on this I read that the trunk is so well sealed that the bass doesn't really come through with the sub in the trunk, so I'm curious what your experiences are.

Hope this isn't too much of a thread-jack.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Not bad, mine is smack dead in the center of the trunk... holds in place because i have my tool box right infront of it so nothing can really move lol. I for some reason cannot bring myself to not bring a toolbox with me at all times :/ especially during canyon drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    It takes up a bit of space...but not enough to be a pita. Pardon the dirty filty car...It's been way too long between cleans

IMG_7976.jpg

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    I have a box from BSW that hangs off of the rear deck. Very secure. Been there for years with no issues. I don't think they make it anymore, but there's nothing bespoke about it...mounts with L brackets and some star knobs. I also removed the rear speakers to port some bass into the cabin to counteract how sealed the trunk is (as you mentioned). You can still use the fold down seats with the box in place.

Not mine, but you can see the general idea in this thread:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...for-E36-coupe)
    Last edited by realjones; 10-10-2017 at 04:30 PM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    I have two 10's sitting right behind my back seats as well. Ignore the need for me to carry coolant in my trunk...
    IMG_0413.jpg

I use velcro and it's held up perfectly fine. Something like this at each corner: Amazon Velcro Link

The only thing that may happen is the velcro and the velcro's adhesive may be stronger than your trunk mat's fibers. I ruined one corner's velcro and just never replaced it, three corners is enough :P
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3