RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAC Sensor Malfunction

My Cars
    BMW 128i

EAC Sensor Malfunction

Hi. I have a 2009 128i. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on. My mechanic told me the issue was the EAC (environmental air catalyst) sensor on the radiator. As I understand it, the purpose on the sensor is to check that the radiator is a magnesium-coated one, which cuts down ozone emissions. This is the original radiator so the sensor shouldn't be signaling a problem. Advice? I want to get my SES light off, but I don't want to replace the entire radiator, which is costly.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Tony

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If you want the light off you have to replace the radiator, no way around it

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    WOW. Thank you, jclausen and Tony; I have learned something new today - never heard of such a thing. I really wish this was a joke -- it sounds like it should be!

Can anyone explain to me just how the hell a normal aluminum radiator contributes to ozone emissions, and a magnesium coated one doesn't? And....how did the magnesium coating go bad, and the sensor didn't?

Bah, humbug. I need another beer. Wonder if they coated the can in magnesium?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    BMW 128i
    Chris,

No this isn't a joke. According to the Bentley manual, "N51 engines use a manganese oxide coated radiator that works to reduce ambient air ozone. This radiator uses an EAC (Environmental Air Catalyst) sensor to check that the special coated radiator if fitted to the car." Now you know all I know.

But I don't think the magnesium coating went bad. I think the sensor just thinks it went bad. i.e., it malfunctioned. I guarantee I would never do anything to degrade my radiator's the magnesium coating.

What I'm thinking of now is this: My car was initially purchased in NY. So it is covered under the SULEV warranty. That warranty provides that BMW will replace all "emission-related parts" for 15 years or 150,000 miles. Trouble is, I called the dealer and was told that the EAC sensor is not on their list of parts falling under the SULEV. I'm planning on trying a second dealer. If that doesn't work, well, let's just day I used to be a lawyer and I have no problem seeking a court's opinion whether and EAC sensor, a device whose only function is to ensure the radiator is not emitting ozone, is an "emission-related part."

Tony

My Cars
    2001 525it
    groung level smog gets pushed thru the radiator core and the core treats the air.
    Last edited by jclausen; 10-07-2017 at 04:54 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to www.realoem.com. Enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to radiator to see if the sensor is a separate part. The sensor may be in another section, but try the radiator first.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    One would have to ask, then, whether the Manganese (not magnesium, right?) oxide coated radiator is therefore actually treating the exhaust of the car in front of it ? And if so, why doesn't the car in front get the check engine light ?

You know, Tony, I'd wonder whether Abel (328Power04) could just delete the ability to set that code from your DME?

Here's the Service Bulletin for this code, which calls for a new radiator, if the wiring is okay:

SI B17 05 10
    Cooling Systems

May 2011
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B17 05 10 dated January 2011.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision
    SUBJECT
    N51 - EAC Sensor Faults

MODEL
    E90, E92, E93 (3 Series) with the N51 engine
    [NEW] E82 and E88 (1 Series) with the N51 engine

SITUATION

The "Service Engine Soon" lamp is on and one of the following faults is stored:
    ^ 2ADA - EAC Sensor, electrical fault, short circuit to plus or interruption

^ 2ADB - EAC Sensor, communication

CAUSE

Wiring or connection issue between the EAC sensor and the DME, or a faulty EAC sensor

CORRECTION

Check the wiring and connections between the EAC sensor and the DME as described in the diagnostic module test plan. If a wiring or connector repair is needed, please refer to the KSD2 for the appropriate defect code and claim separately using work time***.

If no fault can be found, replace the radiator and code as described below.

And here, it looks like you'll be able to get warranty coverage under emissions warranty: {{{Hmm, having trouble adding this attachment, I'll try again}}}

- - - Updated - - -

Let me try this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The N52 DME is MSV80 and the N51 (SULEV, CA CARB engine) DME is MSV80.1.

I have an MSV80.1 on my desk, and it actually is a little different.

In reality, only switching to the MSV80 DME and whatever other engine differences are present can get rid of the radiator sensor. You can thank CARB for that.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I can try to force flash the MSV80.1 to MSV80, but I think it will error out and brick it. Oh well, in the name of science.

Eh, another thought. The N51 has the 3 stage DISA, while the regular N52 328i had no DISA. It would have to be a X5 3.0si flash (N52 with 3 stage DISA) or something.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 10-07-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '03 325i
    Any luck with this flash and deleting the function?

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I can try to force flash the MSV80.1 to MSV80, but I think it will error out and brick it. Oh well, in the name of science.

Eh, another thought. The N51 has the 3 stage DISA, while the regular N52 328i had no DISA. It would have to be a X5 3.0si flash (N52 with 3 stage DISA) or something.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    more importantly - tony! come back! what happened? we have to know?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Showed this thread to a customer today that couldn't understand why a car would have a "pollution-reducing" radiator (Because California, duh!), and how the sensor going bad would necessitate the replacement of the entire radiator. And then how, 6 weeks later, the failure of the coolant temperature sensor wasn't our fault. On a 12-year-old car with 140k miles on it.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 11-25-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    BMW 128i

End of Story

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    more importantly - tony! come back! what happened? we have to know?
    Hi. Sorry I never got back to this thread to complete the story. Ultimately, I got my local BMW dealer to make good on the EAC warranty provision, which applied because the car was originally purchased in NY. They gave me a new radiator for free. (Well, almost for free. While installing it, they managed to find something else that needed replacement, so they got something from me, but not much.)

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Good to know they came thru on the (correct) warranty info. Some dealers don't know what they don't know and will tell customers there's no such thing as a 15/150 emissions warranty with BMW.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    BMW 128i
    I researched it pretty thoroughly and came with arguments and paperwork. I was met with skepticism, but they kicked it up a few levels and it was ultimately approved.

My Cars
    Mini cooper
    HI Tony. I am in same situation now. Is it possible for you to share your paperwork and/or arguments so it helps me talk to my dealer. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Rajesh4723; 03-10-2021 at 08:46 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 128i
    Hi Rajesh. I see you are listed owning a Mini Cooper. Are you writing about that or a BMW? If BMW, what model? In any case, I'd begin by looking at the warranty in your driver's manual to see what it provides. Does it say anything about EAC? How do you know its an EAC problem? What is your dealer telling you?

Tony

My Cars
    2016 BMW X1

BMW dealer fighting

Quote Originally Posted by tony0000 View Post
    Hi Rajesh. I see you are listed owning a Mini Cooper. Are you writing about that or a BMW? If BMW, what model? In any case, I'd begin by looking at the warranty in your driver's manual to see what it provides. Does it say anything about EAC? How do you know its an EAC problem? What is your dealer telling you?

Tony
    Hi Tony! I have been doing research on this code which to my understanding is covered under SULEV for NJ. And the only solution is to replace the radiator. My dealer is telling me the same that it is not recognized as an emissions part. I am in need of help of documentation, examples, or proof that BMW does in-fact and has done the work under SULEV. Thank you! Code: 1b8302
    environmental air catalyst sensor missing bmw 2016 x1

My Cars
    BMW 128i
    Hi. I am correct that your BMW dealer agrees that the problem is the EAC sensor and agrees that to fix the EAC problem, the radiator must be replaced? Exactly what is the point of disagreement? Whether the EAC sensor in covered under SULEV warranty? Whether the SULEV warranty applies to your car? Something else?

Tony

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Here is the Service Bulletin with that code number for MINI cars, on file at NHTSA. Note that the material used to make the fan shroud is what contaminated the sensor and required replacement of the radiator !

What genius thought this radiator and sensor was a good idea?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65271-9999.pdf
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 07-21-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2016 BMW X1
    Quote Originally Posted by tony0000 View Post
    Hi. I am correct that your BMW dealer agrees that the problem is the EAC sensor and agrees that to fix the EAC problem, the radiator must be replaced? Exactly what is the point of disagreement? Whether the EAC sensor in covered under SULEV warranty? Whether the SULEV warranty applies to your car? Something else?

Tony
    Yes, they agree the radiator must be replaced. I am fighting with them that the EAC sensor is classified as an issue to be covered under the SULEV. What helped you win your argument? Documents etc?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

My Cars
    BMW 128i
    [QUOTE=Jessmek17;30707479]Yes, they agree the radiator must be replaced. I am fighting with them that the EAC sensor is classified as an issue to be covered under the SULEV. What helped you win your argument? Documents etc?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi. I reviewed my EAC file. As you may know, there exists a list of BMW emission parts subject to SULEV (PZEV) warranty. (The list seems model and year specific.) Unfortunately, the EAC sensor is not on the list. Looking through my back email, I found a few emails with BMW customer service representatives, as well as California regulators. It appears that while engaged in this correspondence, my dealer simply agreed to the repair/radiator replacement for free. As far as I can tell, I never obtained documentation that the EAC sensor is covered.

I would not give up hope. As I stated earlier in this thread, according to the Bentley manual, "N51 engines use a manganese oxide coated radiator that works to reduce ambient air ozone. This radiator uses an EAC (Environmental Air Catalyst) sensor to check that the special coated radiator if fitted to the car." I think this provides a fair basis for arguing that the EAC sensor is an "emission-related part." If your dealer disagrees, I would seriously consider filing a small claims court complaint again him.

Furthermore, I have just found the invoice from my dealership indicating that they replaced the radiator for free. Because it contains identifying information, I prefer not to post it here. However, I will email it to you upon request.

Finally, here is an interesting youtube video on replacing EAC sensors. It was posted after my issue was resolved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-aPr8LmoXg

Good luck!

My Cars
    99 M3
    I just got this sensor (meaning the entire radiator) replaced today at BMW dealership in Bay Area for my 2007 328. The repair, parts, and diagnostics were all covered under the 15 year SULEV warranty. I expected some back and forth on this, but the service people were pretty good and knew the warranty coverage really well. I just mentioned it once in the beginning, and they handled the rest. I really was pleasantly surprised.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i Coupe

Cool SULEV warranty covered faulty EAC sensor issue

Quote Originally Posted by NomanA View Post
    I just got this sensor (meaning the entire radiator) replaced today at BMW dealership in Bay Area for my 2007 328. The repair, parts, and diagnostics were all covered under the 15 year SULEV warranty. I expected some back and forth on this, but the service people were pretty good and knew the warranty coverage really well. I just mentioned it once in the beginning, and they handled the rest. I really was pleasantly surprised.
    I have 328i coupe 2008 model which I purchased in NY. Currently, I live in VA. My SES light has been intermittently turning on. Last year it has been on constantly. The dealer suggested to pay $200 for full diagnostics to which I complied. During this, I came to know about faulty EAC sensor. Consequently, the car could not pass the emission inspection. As a result, I was not able to get the registration of car renewed.

I came to know that the EAC sensor cannot be replaced, and to fix it, the only option is to replace the radiator which cost $600 parts alone!! The total cost of repair for that alone would be around $1000. This was a tough spot for me.

Researching further on this forum, I came to know what EAC sensor is all about . I came to know about SULEV and that people were successful in getting it replaced free of cost. https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.p...6/#post-107566

Subsequently, I decided to take my chances and went to my dealer in VA. As anticipated, the service technician wasn't aware of SULEV and 15/150K warranty on Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle parts. After he realized that I had done extensive research and I knew what I was talking about, he tried to discourage me, he said that since my car is in VA, it would not be covered as SULEV 15/150K terms are for vehicle in certain NE states and CA.

I pushed harder and requested to talk to the service manager. She was understanding. I showed her the SULEV terms and condition from official BWM handbook that came along with the care wherein its clearly written that SULEV warrant applies to car "sold, leased, and/or registered" in NE states and CA. Since, my car was purchased in NY, hence as per terms and condition my car registered in VA should still come under warranty.

She finally called BMWNA and they authorized that the repair should be covered under SULEV agreement.

The dealer would need to work on my car for few days and confirmed that they would do every repair related to SES if it were due to parts covered under SULEV repair warranty /SULEV performance warranty.

Thank you.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Personally, I am absolutely amazed that there's any warranty on any car in the entire world which covers a thirteen year old car's radiator, sensor, or for that matter, any part at all.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast