Thread: Check errors INPA

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe

Check errors INPA E36 Lambda and Camshaft

Hello! Can someone explain me error codes coming from INPA on my 328 M52 E36 from 96?

Code:
    E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T
    -------------------------------------
    Date: 09/23/17 13:48:34
    ECU: MS410DS2
    JobStatus: OKAY
    Variant: MS410DS2
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !
    55 Lambda probe heating Probe 2
    Error frequency : 1
    Logistic counter: 40
    Engine speed 0.00 rpm
    engine load 0.00 mg/Stroke
    oxygen sensor voltage 2 4.90 Volt
    Engine temperature 17.00 degrees C
    interrupt
    emission related malfunction
    defect code stored after filtering
    Error present
    Static error
    65 camshafts - Sensor
    Engine speed 160.00 rpm
    engine state 2.00 1
    Engine temperature 14.01 degrees C
    Battery Voltage 10.10 Volt
    Error present
    Static error
    ============================================================
    What means Lambda Probe 2? By 2 means the probe on the second exhaust manifold coming from 4-5-6th cylinder? I can see lambda probe on the manifold cylinder 1-2-3 and I see that from the top. Will check from underside on Saturday. But I don't think it's there. May it be a problem? I was driving this car some month without it, if it's not there. Is it a problem? Can I continue drive like that or what can happen if I don't do it? Just the error? The car passed car inspection last year without it then.

Then when it comes to camshaft I don't really know what this error for. I bought a new camshaft position sensor and swapped the old with new one and the swapped them back. The car goes and stats without any problems. Maybe these bolded rows has to do with lambda probe? Sound like it may have to do with it.

After I clear all errors it's only lambda probe error coming back with ignition on, until I start engine, then camshaft appears.

My last post in this thread.

So... I just changed lambda sond and lambda error is gone now but camshaft error is still there. Changed camshaft sensor but still error is present. The problem always came back when engine has been started. What could it be?

65 camshafts - Sensor
    Engine speed 160.00 rpm
    engine state 2.00 1
    Error present
    Static error
    ================================================== ==========
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 10-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    I did the o2 sensors on my car a few days ago. Its a pain in the ass. If you have a swivel head ratchet or a ratchet about 3-4 inches in length it makes it much easier. You basically have to cram yourself under the passenger side wheel well and have a 2ft space to wriggle your hands in between the headers to remove the sensors. I should have recorded my work but its not too bad. I did it in about an hour or two.

INPA like ODB2 will store old codes until you clear them. Its best if you fixed the issue to clear the code and see if it pops back up.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Alright but what's this for and is it necessary? For what?

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    This is from "shadow" error memory:

Code:
    E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T
    -------------------------------------
    Date: 09/23/17 14:02:14
    ECU: MS410DS2
    JobStatus: OKAY
    Variant: MS410DS2
    RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !
    16 puls width modulated signal for input air condition compressor
    Error frequency : 0
    Logistic counter: 0
    Engine speed 0.00 rpm
    engine load 0.00 mg/Stroke
    Engine temperature 40.16 degrees C
    Intake air temperature 92.45 degrees C
    55 Lambda probe heating Probe 2
    Error frequency : 10
    Logistic counter: 1
    Warning: F_UW_ANZ doesn´t exist in result record 2 !
    Warning: F_ART_ANZ doesn´t exist in result record 2 !
    =============================================================

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Inside the oxygen sensor is a heating element, so it's tellling you that the heating element is bad. If your oxygen sensors are very old or original you should just replace both pre-cat sensors.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Inside the oxygen sensor is a heating element, so it's tellling you that the heating element is bad. If your oxygen sensors are very old or original you should just replace both pre-cat sensors.
    Or the wiring, or the heating relay etc ............... not necessarily the expensive bit
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Maybe it not even exist there att all. Will check it later tomorrow but the meaning by Probe 2 so far is that it can be related to the Probe on second manifold going out of 4-5th and sixth cylinder. Coming back tomorrow.

Does the car goes good even if the lambda doesn't exist? I was driving without it and never seen a problem except burned DME but I don't think it's related to it.
    Which number is the relay on? Take a look at the attached file. If the relay is number 3 oxygen I must tell you I don't have it and doesn't look like my car should have it. No gold pins inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 10-06-2017 at 01:42 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    A 96 will have 2 lambda sensors. However, just because there is not a relay in position number three does not mean you don't have it. My car has only the fuel pump and lambda relay, so relay three is where relay 2 or 1 is.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    It's actually a late 95, an E36 from 12/95 with BG11 production code, no OBD II connector in dash, just round 20 pin connector under hood, if it matters. Yes, I know that if there should be some lambda sensors on exhaust manifold on my car, then they should be in quantity of 2. My relay 1 is fuel pump and will check the 2:nd relay what's that for.

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    I think it is worth noting that the European-spec E36s, while seemingly OBD II compatible in terms of the live data they supplied, were not truly OBD II capable vehicles. It is my understanding OBD II was not a requirement where European-spec E36s were supplied until later on; hence the lack of "Check Engine" lights on all Euro-spec E36s, use of different DMEs and so on.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    I just checked 1st and 2nd relay. First is responsible for fuel pump and second is for DME. I got 14 errors when relay 2 was unplugged and they all were about engine functionality like no working cylinders, no throttle valve, no fuel and so one, the car hasn't started without this relay. I don't really understand and I'm a little bit surprised myself, because I've seen at least 1 lambda sensor but no relay Always though they need each other for working. I haven't even place for a 3rd relay next to the second, it's empty place there.

I was not excepting the very rainy weather here today so I'll try to check the exhaust tomorrow. What's about camshaft error?
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 10-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by B320i View Post
    I think it is worth noting that the European-spec E36s, while seemingly OBD II compatible in terms of the live data they supplied, were not truly OBD II capable vehicles. It is my understanding OBD II was not a requirement where European-spec E36s were supplied until later on; hence the lack of "Check Engine" lights on all Euro-spec E36s, use of different DMEs and so on.
    Exactly right, for example the OBDII standard came in in UK petrol in 2001 and 2004 for diesel IIRC.

The OBDII socket shape is specified in the standard so even if all the pins and functions are there, if not in the specified shape socket then it's not OBDII

Also OBDII is an engine standard.

However, ALL E36 still have some ADS modules so an OBDII interface cannot do everything on your car but an ADS can.

Mine is June 95 UK car. Two lambdas, only 2 relays so don't sweat it. However, you can always check for power on the heating circuit where the lambdas plug in on top of the engine near the injector wiring. te routing or the wires around the back of the block is horrible, some could easily be damaged around there too

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Alright. I just looked for lambda sensors and both are in place. Saw the one on exhaust manifold 4-5-6 cylinder from underside and it looks quite tight over there and a bit hard to replace, just how we like it, heh. Anyway, that lambda sensor looks like it needs to be replaced. I think the wiring is damaged because of the heat from engine and transmission. It was zipped not so good by previous person who changed them.

Should I go for a Siemens lambda sensor? If I can go for a cheaper one then why not but the sensor must be stable. Don't want to change the sensor after a week or so if it's so hard to replace it as it looks like.
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 10-08-2017 at 10:10 AM.

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    Check up http://lambdapower.co.uk - should give you some alternative options. I'd suggest the NTK part.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    I will look on another site. Just need some recommendation about what brand should I go for. No one can say anything about camshaft? Can it be related to the bad lambda probe?

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    Don't get cheap, off-brand stuff. Siemens brand or NTK/NGK for lambda, OE for everything else.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    I will go for NGK, Bosch or at best with a Siemens one. But before, I will swap both sensors and see if INPA show me "probe 1" instead as it should so I know that it's a bad lambda and not anything else. Quiet expensive this crap here in Sweden is...

Do I need any special tool for unscrewing them or can I easily do it with a 22mm wrench? Do I need to swap connectors as well?

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    So... I just changed lambda sond and lambda error is gone now but camshaft error is still there. Changed camshaft sensor but still error is present. The problem always came back when engine has been started. What could it be?

65 camshafts - Sensor
    Engine speed 160.00 rpm
    engine state 2.00 1
    Error present
    Static error
    ================================================== ==========

My Cars
    1997 328i
    DME is reading a weak battery, maybe while cranking the can sensor signal is weak due to this.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    No problems with start or running. All cylinders work but "cylinder roughness" INPA is at 0 all the time. I took all spark plugs off and checked cylinder compression. It seems all to be good. Battery is some month old and newer was a problem. On another screenshots from INPA I get different voltage, some times 10V, some 11, 12, 13. It's different. It's not battery problem.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    It was a long time but I was just looking for my old posts and thought it can maybe help someone in the future. It ended up with that I went to BMW and bought a Siemens camshaft sensor, instead of these cheap 30$, I needed to pay 150 though and the problem with camshaft sensor disappeared, magic. I tried 3 different camshaft sensors for 30$ piece and no one could delete the error. I think it's just an strange error, maybe the system just saw it as non original certified and that's why it triggered the problem, I don't know, because I haven't seen any problems with driving itself, any before and after sensor replace. No differences but on cheapy I just couldn't read correct data, if any. I don't know if it maybe could lead to future problems with camshaft as I was driving with the problem couple of months but now I see every data and the car is starting just of seeing the key
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 05-01-2019 at 03:12 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Lesson learned. Just sucks how so many online BMW dealers call parts OEM.