Thread: Oil Cooler in Cool Weather

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe

Oil Cooler in Cool Weather

Does anyone have experience or suggestions regarding the use of an oil cooler in cool or cold conditions? I'm in Denver, so summers are plenty hot to justify the use of an oil cooler (and some travel locations), but some of our local events are run in early spring or fall when air temps don't really require an oil cooler.

One of my off season projects is to install an oil cooler and I'm considering including a bypass valve that would be used only on the cold days when the oil cooler isn't needed.

Does this make sense or am I overthinking it? I know getting oil too hot is bad, but if it stays "cool" does it really matter?

For what it's worth, my water temps have no problems at all. I installed TrackSpec hood vents last off season and they work great.

Thanks.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    They make in-line thermostats. Once oil temp gets to a set temp, it will open and let the oil flow through the cooler. The Euro/S54 oil filter housing has this built in.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
    They make in-line thermostats. Once oil temp gets to a set temp, it will open and let the oil flow through the cooler. The Euro/S54 oil filter housing has this built in.
    Perfect. I didn't know of that feature in the S54 housing. Heading to ebay to find a used one for my S52.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    And then buy the Bimmerworld hard line to AN adapter. Others may sell a similar device. Maybe rally road?

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    You could also find the Z3M oil cooler lines and factory oil cooler, pair that up with the Z3M radiator for a 100% OEM solution.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    AFAIK, all the EFI BMWs with oil coolers from the factory have a thermostat in the loop to ensure proper engine temps. They are pretty reliable too, unlike many of the in-line aftermarket units.

But one time when I was re-using an M20B25 I bought out of an old E30, I tested the thermostat element in a pot of hot water just to see where it opened up. And it didn't. Same situation as can occur with an old radiator thermostat. Just something I keep in the back of my mind to rule out if I'm seeing high oil temps.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Don't sweat it. I wouldn't use the tstat in the S54 housing, it really restricts the flow of oil through the cooler. In fact, Bimmerworld sells a delete kit for that express reason, which I've installed in mine.

The oil will still get plenty hot on track here in the bumper seasons.
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    I have the delete also in my car. Lets go the other way, what temp would you like to see? If you are tracking the only drawback to cooler weather is getting the oil warm initially. After that anything over 180 is good. Make yourself an external cover for the cooler but that might be tough to get at. I measure my oil temp in the pan and the most I have ever seen is 280 on hot days when I am beating the snot out of the car. The way the e36 read temp is kind of funky. You pick it up at the housing so installing the BW part give you a bigger change since you are no longer mixing hot oil with the oil from the cooler. I like to see oil temp before the cooler rather than a mix or after.
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I use the Rallyroad oil filter cap and euro oil cooler on my S52. In the cooler months I remove the rally road cap and lines and install the stock cap and cap off the oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    mini cooper S racecar
    On an old car I used to race I had problems on really cold days with the oil taking too long to get up to temperature (water as well). I made a blank out of thick carboard and would stick that in front of part of the oil cooler to restrict airflow.