Thread: Air Bag Recall Problems

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i

Air Bag Recall Problems

Is anyone else unhappy with the cheap and shoddy fix of the LCI E9x airbag recall on sport/Msport/M3 steering wheels? I knew that they were going to leave holes in my pristine wheel so I called National to see if they would work something out because I don't see having all the options and Dakota leather and then to have holes poked in the SW's backing. I told them it doesn't make sense for me to bring the car to the dealer to get it back in worse condition than it came in. They said they understand my frustration but aren't going to do anything about it, nor do they seem to care. I am interested in how the rest of you feel about this, especially M3/335 LCI owners as they need it as well. I am sad about it and the holes will bother me and the one on the right will be visible from the passenger side and worse, I will know they are there like a shoddy referb. I just can't believe I had to have a conversation with them about this and that they defended that they have to damage the car in order to make the repair. I also can't believe that this is how a great company like BMW has decided to deal with this issue.
    Last edited by jlevite; 10-03-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I just got a letter about my 08' 135i, not really looking forward to it now after reading this...
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    It really bothers me, and that they don't care is just, I don't know
    Last edited by jlevite; 10-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    I have 2011 335i and recently the recall fix was done. Haven't noticed anything strange on the steering wheel. I will check today and update.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    There are holes at the 4 and 8 positions about an inch and a half under the paddle you will see them
    Last edited by jlevite; 10-03-2017 at 08:33 PM.

My Cars
    It's the way the steering wheel was made. Sorry, but you're blowing it a little out of proportion. This is the only way to release the airbag from the steering wheel. If it was done properly, you really shouldn't even know that they are there (but you are obviously looking for them). You're the first person I have ever heard of that has had a problem with it. Any other repair that requires the steering wheel to come off would have this done (evaporator, steering column, dashboard, etc).
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    It's the way the steering wheel was made. Sorry, but you're blowing it a little out of proportion. This is the only way to release the airbag from the steering wheel. If it was done properly, you really shouldn't even know that they are there (but you are obviously looking for them). You're the first person I have ever heard of that has had a problem with it. Any other repair that requires the steering wheel to come off would have this done (evaporator, steering column, dashboard, etc).
    It is fine after deployment then the car is totaled. otherwise it looks like shit

My Cars
    Do you make it a habit of looking at the back of the steering wheel? If you didn't know it was there, you would never even see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    You can feel then under the paddle shifter. It will be visible from the passenger side after the holes are made. it then shrinks and promotes dryrot and then peel. That is my objection

My Cars
    LOL. That's absolutely ridiculous. Dry rotting and peeling? Get real.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    The holes have always been there, just a little slit in the material that allows you to hit the release clips. I really had to look for the holes when I wanted to access my paddle shifter wiring.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    LOL. That's absolutely ridiculous. Dry rotting and peeling? Get real.
    Not here in Florida dick. the glue on the back de lams as the humidity gets to it much the same as headliners do here as well. it bubbles, dry rots on the bubbles, splits and cracks. go look at an old e46 before you say some shit you know nothing about.

- - - Updated - - -

Should have not pulled the airbag for that. just the trim. Now you have holes in your wheel for no fucking reason

My Cars
    Wow. Someone got their jimmies rustled. Lol. I live in Atlanta. I know all about humidity. Enjoy the holes in your steering wheel. And the godawful dry rotting and peeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    335i msport
    I just called my dealership and they said they do not slice anything they do it through the center Takes about an hour and a half

My Cars
    2008 328xi Sportwagon
    "Much ado about nothing."

It's a car, it gets fixed. I can't believe that anyone is torqued over holes in the back of the steering wheel, as most cars have them as part of the mounting assemblies. My wife had hers done (09 E93) this week and there's no visible change. Mine goes in (08 E91) this Saturday.