Thread: MAF adaptation with ISTA-D

My Cars
    BMW E60 520D

MAF adaptation with ISTA-D

Hello, i have a car BMW E60 520D, M47, 2006 year.
    I bought a new Bosch MAF and installed it on my car.
    I entered with ISTA-D tester on the adaptations, air mass flow sensor.
    However, i saw Idle 0 and Load 0 there. I pressed the button to reset these values. I drive the car for about 10-15 km, and i put again the tester and saw again Idle 0 and Load 0.
    No errors stocked.
    Why is 0 and 0?

My Cars
    BMW E60 520D
    No one have any opinion on this?

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    My opinion is that chasing or worrying about unexplainable or unusual readings detected during a deep dive into the DDE/DME is pointless IF there are NO codes.

There are several possible reasons:
    1) ISTA isn't working properly
    2) Adaptations don't apply to this engine
    3) there is a communication problem
    4) most likely - 10-15 km is long enough for DDE to be ready or able to report adaptations. Check again after 1000 km.

My Cars
    BMW E60 520D
    Hello, thank you very much for the reply.

It seems that i bought a new flow meter to no end. Paid for it because it is genuine Bosch about 150 euro.
    I did about 100 km extra-urban and 20 km in a city. I put ISTA-D again on the car and surprise, the error on the air flow meter sensor was present again.

Error details: https://imgur.com/7MsA6c7

Even i reset the values (btw, the old values were still 0 in both Idle Speed and Load), it seems that ECU doesn`t want to learn new values. I saw that on other BMWs E60 there are values there, but at mine is 0 and 0 and it also was 0 and 0 with the original flow meter.

As you can see here: https://imgur.com/jMtxABQ

For advanced people, i also uploaded a video to see how the car runs in live data at air mass values. Sorry for the quality, but the values are still readable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihR6H19HrN8

There is something not fine. For example, at 0:10, you can see that at 3900 rpm, actual mass air value is 423 mg and the target mass air value is 566 mg. A difference of about 140 mg with a new flow meter Bosch is definitely not right.

I checked for vacuum leaks for the hoses from inlet manifold (even i`ve read that errors for vacuum leaks appear at very low rpms), and there are no vacuum leaks. Also the inlet manifold is clean. Same with EGR.

What is wrong? How can i fix this?
    Last edited by alynxs; 10-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    You should have posted the code. Are there any other codes?
    You're chasing the wrong problem.....no adaptation values isn't the cause, it's likely the result of gap between the measured and calculated air flow.
    3FF0 is a common problem. Decoking the head is the usual fix.

My Cars
    BMW E60 520D
    https://imgur.com/l75Iv2w

Here you go, image for the code & other codes (in photo it can`t be seen, but it`s 003FF0 code). There are not related to DDE. And they are intermittent.

You mean to decoke the engine? I think it`s not my case, how an engine can be cooked if the inlet manifold is clean?

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    I know the one code is 3FF0, it shows in your photos in post 4. What is the number for the third code in the image in post 6? The AUC code is not relevant.
    These codes are related to the DDE. The DDE likely calculates the air flow based on boost pressure and % throttle opening. It compares this to the air flow measured by the MAF. If there is a difference, the 3FFO code results. If there is blockage in the intake or cylinder head the calculated flow will be higher than the measured. Your video seems to show the flow difference is greater at high engine load, as is the case when accelerating for example. This is to be expected because an intake blockage/restriction will only create problems at high air flow. If the error only occurs at high air flow, this explains why the code is intermittent. Have you removed the intake to inspect for carbon buildup on cyl head intake ports? Google 3FF0....there are many posts on this code for diesel engines.
    Last edited by pshovest; 10-06-2017 at 11:37 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E60 520D
    The intake manifold is clean. I have removed it when i changed the glow plugs. Also EGR is clean.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Very hard to believe a 183km diesel has no carbon buildup, particularly the EGR valve, unless it was previously cleaned.
    You've told us the intake manifold is clean, but what about the intake valves and cylinder head ports?

3FF0: "Ratio of calculated to measured air mass too high".... so either calc airflow is too high or measured airflow is too low"

Items that could cause false high calculated air flow:

• Restricted intake/cylinder head
    • Bad manifold pressure sensor.
    • Manifold swirl valves that are stuck or don't open fully

Items that could could cause a false low measured air flow:
    • Leaks in the duct between the MAF and turbo, causing intake air to bypass the MAF. Might be aggravated by a clogged air filter.

My Cars
    BMW E60 520D
    I think at 3900 rpm to get only 423 mg is definitely a low measured air flow rather than 566 mg a high target value.
    I`ve checked for leaks but couldn`t find them. Do i have to remove other parts besides the engine cover to check them? I couldn`t look at the turbo unfortunately.

The EGR had carbon buildup, and i cleaned it when i changed the glow plugs. But the intake manifold hadn`t so much carbon (I remember as a mechanic said it's too clean compared to other cars) to cause air not enter, and the swirl flaps we`re not blocked when i moved manually that rod that manages them.

My Cars
    BMW E60 520D
    Any more opinion on this?

My Cars
    2005 BMW E61 535d
    Quote Originally Posted by alynxs View Post
    Any more opinion on this?
    Hi, did you found out what was causing the 0/0 value? Mine does the same. I have tried two original MAFs and one brand new Bosch.

My Cars
    E60 530D ex. E39 528iA
    Some solution? Same to me. New original MAP, cleared MAF, turbo actuator working fine, turbo cleaned. Adaptations before reset was 79699.7 for both, idle and under load. Already 7 months from reset and still 0.0. Car is running fine, but there is a small black smoke when accelerate. Car is 530D 218hp manual trans. DPF and EGR deleted. CAT cleaned. Only one trouble code - fuel filter heating.
    IMG_20180926_193336.jpg
    Last edited by spacepl; 09-23-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: details

My Cars
    2005 BMW E61 535d
    Quote Originally Posted by spacepl View Post
    Some solution? Same to me. New original MAP, cleared MAF, turbo actuator working fine, turbo cleaned. Adaptations before reset was 79699.7 for both, idle and under load. Already 7 months from reset and still 0.0. Car is running fine, but there is a small black smoke when accelerate. Car is 530D 218hp manual trans. DPF and EGR deleted. CAT cleaned. Only one trouble code - fuel filter heating.
    IMG_20180926_193336.jpg
    Hi, did you find a solution to this?

Best regards