Thread: coolant leak after changing clutch fan and drive belts?

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63

coolant leak after changing clutch fan and drive belts?

Well this one makes no sense to me. Put on new a clutch fan and belts. Removed the connection at top of the radiator of the small hose that runs along the top of the shroud and flipped the tank/shroud over to the passenger side as I have done many times before. Put everything back car drives great...or so I think.

Now when I drive the car I have a puddle of coolant the next morning. First two times I lost 1/3 of the tank. Drove it 20 miles yesterday...this morning the tank is down to nearly empty. Could not find any active leaks while the car was running or within an hour of shutting it off. Just changed the reservoir a couple months ago.

Could the new clutch fan have taken out an old water pump? It's maybe three years old. Maybe the connection at the bottom of the expansion tank is loose (where I can't see it)? Radiator neck looks solid.

I figure I'll grab some UV dye before replacing everything (radiator is almost due anyway). Guess this more a vent about fixing one issue and having another pop up thing. Sigh.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You should be able to see whereabouts the coolant is coming from by getting underneath and following the wetness upwards, unless it's just everywhere. My guess is the hose at the bottom of the expansion tank since you can't see anything from above. Nothing should've happened to the water pump if you didn't remove it during your work.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    You cannot find any green "crust" (assuming you're running OEM blue coolant) to indicate where it's leaking? I've had a really hard time getting that tiny hose you mention to seal to the nipple on the radiator and lost a fair amount of coolant right there. I ended up using a screw-type clamp from the FLAPS and cranking down on it pretty hard. A spring clamp didn't do it.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    You cannot find any green "crust" (assuming you're running OEM blue coolant) to indicate where it's leaking? I've had a really hard time getting that tiny hose you mention to seal to the nipple on the radiator
    Nope, and that's what is annoying. No white crusty anywhere I can see. I already have a worm gear clamps on everything. Gonna try redoing the connection on the bottom of the reservoir and I picked up some UV dye if that doesn't do it.

My Cars
    N/A
    I had the same exact issue after doing a cooling system overhaul (minus swapping out the hoses). In my case it happened to be the small hose going from the top of the expansion tank to the radiator. I needed to really tighten the expansion tank side clamp down because the hose had gotten hard after however long it's been used for. This took me 2 weeks to diagnose because it would only dump coolant after everything cooled down, and it was still leaking after the first time I tightened it.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    pressure test it and you will see where the leak is coming from. The water pump will leak from the shaft and from the area where the small circlip is.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Quote Originally Posted by hli View Post
    I had the same exact issue after doing a cooling system overhaul (minus swapping out the hoses). In my case it happened to be the small hose going from the top of the expansion tank to the radiator. I needed to really tighten the expansion tank side clamp down because the hose had gotten hard after however long it's been used for.
    Update: I ended up cutting off the end of the other side of that hose that goes to the top of the radiator (the one that I disconnected) and reclamping it down on fresher tubing. Seems to have solved the puddle issue although I haven't had time to go in there and make sure it isn't leaking anything. Very odd as a I just disconnected the hose in July and had no leaking issues after reattaching it then. Hose at the bottom of the expansion tank is not leaking. Luckily my door panel broke off today so on to the next project!
    Last edited by realjones; 10-06-2017 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    If this comes back and you still can't find where the coolant is coming from, you can try some UV coolant dye that they sell at most general car shops. Under black light it's super easy to follow the traces up to the leak. And you can easily tell the difference between old dried coolant and the newly leaked coolant that glows.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3