Thread: BMW smell

My Cars
    C6 Vette

BMW smell

Good morning everyone,

I just recently rented a new 4 series convertible to see how I would like the car before purchasing. It drove awesome and was really comfortable! Only thing is it had what I remember in the past from friends beemers that distinct smell to it. At first it was ok, and with top down but then it just got to be too much. Does that smell go away after a bit? I've heard people say it smells like crayons, to me it smells like a cheap after shave. I'm considering an M4 or possible a 5 series, just curious if that smell would eventually fade away after some time driving. I currently own a C6 vette and a truck, but have always loved the look of beemers especially the m4 in particular!

My Cars
    z3
    Yes that smell fades away...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I've not spent a moment in any BMW newer than a decade old so cannot comment on what they smell like but can attest to that crayon smell of the older cars. Having dismantled a few I've found this to be from the carpet padding.
    As far as it diminishing with time, my now almost 30 year old E34 still has that smell so I think it's here to stay.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    C6 Vette
    Yeah I can remember riding in friends bmws back in the 90s and they had that same smell. It's weird, almost like a strong aftershave. My shirt when I got home still had the smell on it lol. I gotta say though I was really impressed with the way it drove and the comfort was nice! I'm 6'3 and it felt great driving in, especially compared to my vette!