Thread: Intermittent P054B Code

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it

Intermittent P054B Code

Hello all! I've just started to learn how to DIY after years of paying someone else to fix my car. This forum has been helpful in many of the minor things I've already engaged in.

I've been getting a nagging P054B code (Cold Start "B" Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1) on my 2013 328i vert. My initial research led me to clean the VANOS Solenoid Valves and to swap them to see if the code followed. After initially clearing, the SES/code came back but before I could dig in it cleared on its own. Now, after a few thousand miles the SES/code is back again. Same code. The code didn't follow the initial swap. I'm thinking to clean the solenoid valves again. But would appreciate any insights on what could cause it to be clogged up (I'm assuming this is actual cause).

I did change the oil recently when I cleaned out the VANOS solenoids the first time. The car only has 39k miles and does not have any idling (usually stabilizes to 650 rpm after about 1 min from cold start) or performance issues (no mis-firings). My MPG seems normal (20 in the city; 27+ hwy). Other advice have included changing out the camshaft sensor and actually adjusting camshaft timing. At only 39k miles I'm hesitant to think timing needs to be adjusted especially since no other apparent symptom. Appreciate your insights and suggestions.

Edit: So just as I was planning to clean VANOS solenoids again the SES light went away and the code is gone. Could this mean a bad (soft fail) camshaft sensor? Anyway, also wondering how prevalent this issue might be. I only found one other thread with similar issue but no apparent resolution.
    Last edited by 2WD; 10-06-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Update

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Thought I'd just close the loop on this in case somebody else experiences same issue and does a search for resolution.
    The SES light cleared on its own before I got a chance to clean the VANOS solenoids again. It hasn't come back in several hundred miles so far. Knock on wood.
    I scanned for codes and it's all clear (engine running). However, when the ignition is in the ON position the SES light is on and the scanner reads the same P054B code. It just goes away when the engine is started.
    I was trying to remember if it was normal for the SES light to illuminate on position 2 just before engine start. I checked with my E46 for comparison and noticed the SES light was also on in position 2 but clears when it starts. I didn't read its code so I don't know if its the same. Can someone confirm if this is a normal phenomenon?
    Additionally, I did get freeze frame data on my car when the SES light initially illuminated and I scanned it. I noticed the timing advance for #1 cylinder was -12 deg. Not sure if it means anything but all the other parameters in the report seemed normal.
    Since I'm not experiencing any apparent performance issues I am just going to let it be until I see more illuminating symptoms. I considered if the CamShaft sensor might be faulty or soft failing but if it were I figured I would have had more consistent issues with the SES light coming on. If it does come back on I would likely test the appropriate camshaft sensor and replace if necessary. Otherwise, it might in fact be the timing.
    This must be a rare occurrence since I'm not getting much feedback on this issue. Either way, I'm just a noob so just let me know if I'm in the right direction or not. Thanks again!

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    The engine light on all cars should illuminate with the key in position 2 and the engine off. Assuming no codes, the engine light should turn off after starting the car. This shows that the engine light is functional and hasn't burned out, been covered/removed, etc.
    As far as codes go, BMW specific codes will be much more useful than generic P-codes. There's a very cool new app for windows/android/iOS that can read codes for free. It should be out in a month or so, it'll be called Bimmerboost 2.0.
    Regarding the VANOS codes it could be a collapsed oil filter, wrong weight oil, dirty vanos solenoids, defective vanos solenoids, or vanos adjuster units. Your car should be new enough to avoid the cam bearing ledge issue of earlier cars.
    Eccentric shaft sensor is also a possibility, check for oil in the connector.

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Thanks, RocketSurgeon. I suspected as much regarding the SES light coming on with key in position 2 but the intermittent code was making me paranoid.
    The corresponding BMW codes that came up in the scan at the time was 2A7A/not present: DME Variable camshaft timing control, exhaust, cold start and 2A7C/not present: DME VANOS, inlet, cold start.

I'll check the sensor for oil if the same code pops up again.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328xi
    I'm having the same codes also going away on their own but lately it's becoming more frequent where they only stay away a day or two. Did you find a solution? I've already replaced solenoids and cam sensors.