Thread: Headlight Options ... what will fit my 93 525I

My Cars
    93 E34 slushbox

Headlight Options ... what will fit my 93 525I

lowbeams are trashed and i need new ones. Plenty of aftermarket options out there that come in pairs, singles, etc but i have no idea what fits without wiring harness modifications. I know these came with 3 different headlights and i very much prefer to see where im going at night.

what are the recommended headlights for the e34s, which ones will fit my car without any modification, and where can i get them without breaking the bank? I dont care if they are OEM or aftermarket ... i was honestly selling this car until i got a killer job 50 miles away ... and my truck get 7mpg so i decided to return this to daily driver status.

im mid 30s, really fat, egregiously ugly, and pretty much destined to die alone so im fine with pink angel eyes or whatever gets the job done ...

thanks in advance for helping out an idiot.

shittyheadlights.jpg
    93 E34 525I Slushbox
    83 GMC C1500
    84 GMC K3500 3+3
    10 Subaru Impreza w/ hail damage

My Cars
    93 E34 slushbox
    i think i would need an adapter to make these fit, no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-96-BMW-E3...5UsFOe&vxp=mtr
    93 E34 525I Slushbox
    83 GMC C1500
    84 GMC K3500 3+3

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by affende View Post
    im mid 30s, really fat, egregiously ugly, and pretty much destined to die alone so im fine with pink angel eyes or whatever gets the job done ...

thanks in advance for helping out an idiot.

shittyheadlights.jpg
    self esteem is the first step to a good life

Smileys drop right in IIRC

My Cars
    93 E34 slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    self esteem is the first step to a good life

Smileys drop right in IIRC
    thanks for the tip ... ill look for some.

i forgot to add how awesome i was ... wife and son dont always agree with me though. lol.

Lincoln.jpg
    93 E34 525I Slushbox
    83 GMC C1500
    84 GMC K3500 3+3

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    Here is a set of smileys on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E34-E32-...tZ0isH&vxp=mtr

No affiliation to seller; just trying to be helpful in your search.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    AFAIK all E34 and E32 headlights are interchangeable without wiring modifications (other than the "city lights" feature if you want it). And even so, the modifications in question would be a good bit less work than what's required to remove the headlight assemblies in the first place.

I've got enough spare headlights laying around that I could probably cobble together and sell you a decent full set, but if I were you I'd look for E34's at the nearest Picknpull. ~$25 per dual headlight assembly.
    Last edited by moroza; 10-03-2017 at 10:39 PM.

My Cars
    93 E34 slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    AFAIK all E34 and E32 headlights are interchangeable without wiring modifications (other than the "city lights" feature if you want it). And even so, the modifications in question would be a good bit less work than what's required to remove the headlight assemblies in the first place.

I've got enough spare headlights laying around that I could probably cobble together and sell you a decent full set, but if I were you I'd look for E34's at the nearest Picknpull. ~$25 per dual headlight assembly.
    What im worried about is the bulb connector. I this some of the lights use H1 bulbs while others use 9004/5 bults with different connectors and although im capable and equipped to cut and splice with crimp-solder-seal connectors i really dont want to. if i need to start cutting and splicing, i would rather upgrade to a modern LED or HID system.

I have given up on craiglist, pull-a-part, etc ... every vehicle i find has cracked or broken low beams and or housings. After 10+ years of cracked lenses in my low beams that have allowed countless bulds to explode and gallons of water into them they are useless. high beams work great though.

part of me want to replace just the low beams ... but everything else on this car is brittle and cracked and i feel like asking for a clean removal is asking a lot so im leaning toward upgrading the entire assembly on both sides. I tried briefly to pullone of the housings a few years ago and i remember it being nearly impossible to remove without breaking some or all of the surrounding trim.

any good write-ups?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelhill View Post
    Here is a set of smileys on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E34-E32-...tZ0isH&vxp=mtr

No affiliation to seller; just trying to be helpful in your search.

thanks for the link .... i do appreciate the help.
    93 E34 525I Slushbox
    83 GMC C1500
    84 GMC K3500 3+3

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    Can't tell from pic, but the lenses can be replaced, or maybe just remove and clean. If you have various courseness sand paper, you can even do it for free. If you want an upgrade, modify those to hold bi-xenon assemblies and you will have frickin laser beams.

For the bi-xenons, I wrote a DIY a while ago. Mine are still burning strong after all this time.
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    93 E34 slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post
    Can't tell from pic, but the lenses can be replaced, or maybe just remove and clean. If you have various courseness sand paper, you can even do it for free. If you want an upgrade, modify those to hold bi-xenon assemblies and you will have frickin laser beams.

For the bi-xenons, I wrote a DIY a while ago. Mine are still burning strong after all this time.
    I wish i could just change the lenses, but the housings are trashed. 8 years of water intrusion has rusted the housings and de-laminated the reflective coating from the housings so there is no economical way to save what is left.

Ill check for the DIY thread, Thanks!
    93 E34 525I Slushbox
    83 GMC C1500
    84 GMC K3500 3+3

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I would definitely try the ones in your link if I didn't have a bunch of e28 housings and e-code H1/H4 lights to stick on mine.
    demet

My Cars
    various
    Post a want add in the for sale forum here if you want decent oem replacements. Plenty of folks have parts cars lying around. Andy ( south42) will surely be able to supply.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by affende View Post
    I wish i could just change the lenses, but the housings are trashed. 8 years of water intrusion has rusted the housings and de-laminated the reflective coating from the housings so there is no economical way to save what is left.

Ill check for the DIY thread, Thanks!
    Here is my DIY thread on them
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...light=bi-xenon

This conversion does not use any type of interior reflector, just straight, focused xenon bulb. So, unless your housings are broken, they will work. Admittedly, it is not the cheapest solution, but in the end, there is not a better headlight you will find than this.
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    93 E34 slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post
    Here is my DIY thread on them
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...light=bi-xenon

This conversion does not use any type of interior reflector, just straight, focused xenon bulb. So, unless your housings are broken, they will work. Admittedly, it is not the cheapest solution, but in the end, there is not a better headlight you will find than this.

Understood. Ill look into those a little further. I will still need to replace the front glass, but if I don't need the reflector housings then i should be good.

Thanks.
    93 E34 525I Slushbox
    83 GMC C1500
    84 GMC K3500 3+3

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    A bit late on this. Just get a set of ellipsoids (US or Euro smiley's doesn't really matter as you'll see in a sec). You don't need the bracketry, just the lights themselves (bucket and lens assembly). These are interchangeable between E30, E32 and E34 so much more availability. Then get a set of Morimoto projectors and install (takes about three hours). Similar to what Alec said above, but I suggest using the Squared Motorwerks kit as they are easy to install (and Morimito won't sell you the generation of H1 Mini Alec used anymore)

You'll have the best modern technology and light output for about $500.
    Last edited by tantumaude; 10-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.

My Cars
    93 E34 slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    A bit late on this. Just get a set of ellipsoids (US or Euro smiley's doesn't really matter as you'll see in a sec). You don't need the bracketry, just the lights themselves (bucket and lens assembly). These are interchangeable between E30, E32 and E34 so much more availability. Then get a set of Morimoto projectors and install (takes about three hours). Similar to what Alec said above, but I suggest using the Squared Motorwerks kit as they are easy to install (and Morimito won't sell you the generation of H1 Mini Alec used anymore)

You'll have the best modern technology and light output for about $500.
    thanks for the info, not to late at all ... i dig it.
    93 E34 525I Slushbox
    83 GMC C1500
    84 GMC K3500 3+3

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    I did my swap about a month ago, and it's honestly the best mod I've done to the car in terms of improving everyday driveability. If you want, I have a spare set of ellipsoid lights. The adjusters are shot, but the lights themselves are decent.

My Cars
    E34 HD61 E39 DH61
    Baguio Technohub E34 (2).JPG
    Hi, anyone here have smoke Hella Crosshairs headlights on their E34?
    I just wanna know if they light up the road better at night on standard 55W H1 halogen bulbs?
    Will the E30 lamps fit the E34? I'm now watching an E30 Crosshairs ad.
    Cheers from Manila

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMonty4x4 View Post
    Baguio Technohub E34 (2).JPG
    Hi, anyone here have smoke Hella Crosshairs headlights on their E34?
    I just wanna know if they light up the road better at night on standard 55W H1 halogen bulbs?
    Will the E30 lamps fit the E34? I'm now watching an E30 Crosshairs ad.
    Cheers from Manila

The lights themselves will fit, the brackets will not.