Thread: New Member Intro

My Cars
    None yet gathering info

New Member Intro

Hello Everyone!
    I just wanted to post a quick hello as I am new here. I do NOT yet own a BMW, but I have been looking quite a bit into getting a 540i Touring the last few months and wanted to at least say hello since I've been watching you all during that time (although I just made my profile here today).

I've used the search functions, I've read a lot of engine threads, maintenance threads, and etc, but still looking for that last little bit of good advice as it comes to buying.

So what do you all think? I know to watch the coolant systems (ie Radiator, water pump, hoses). I know to check for Vanos Rattle, which I've already watched some videos about the repair. I also know to watch for the LCD Pixels, weather stripping on doors and window motors etc. These cars are getting older after all. Is there a certain year to stay away from? 1999 vs 2003? (800ish production vs 200 or so right?) Just get the best one you can afford kind of deal? or is there something I am missing?

So what do you think? Look for a highly optioned car, or a car that has no options? I know I likely won't find a 6 speed but I want a 540i for sure. Honestly, I'm worried that it'll require maintenance every few months even though I'm not driving it as a daily. Higher mileage a worry or does that not matter either? As far as working on it goes, I'm not afraid. Another car in the garage is a 1990 Corvette ZR-1 with the LT5. Can't just take that anyplace so any repair work has been on my own.

Thanks in Advance!
    Marc

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello Marc and welcome to the forum! All in all the E39 is a solid car and remains a favorite for many enthusiasts. To help you get more antiquated with the platform, I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles. This way you can get a feel of what maintenance and repair procedures are going to be like. Other members will likely chime in with specifics. Post some photos of the car if you end up investing. Lastly and something all members will agree on is that a PPI is a must. Although a car may look amazing on the outside, it could be a nightmare under the hood - this report will give you all the details that you'll need to ultimately make up your mind. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...h_main_E39.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Welcome
    The info here will help you find the right car at the right price for your intended usage. Tip BUY the lower mileage,cleaner car, with better history of service records, and no red flags of ownership. It will be the better purchase unless you are prepared to DIY everything the previous owners did not do before.

Bottom Line: These cars are a great ride, well built, and reliable if owned by people who maintain their cars, otherwise all the preventative maintenance will be completed on your ownership.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    '00 540iT 03 525iT
    To echo others, Welcome!

I'm sure there will be little quirks to each car, once you make sure the cooling system is new, Trans fluid/filter replaced, You should be set for some time. A big one is the timing chain guides and tensioners as with higher miles many have been known to disintegrate around the 200k mark some before that even.

our 2000 540i touring was purchased with 140k miles and now at 188k miles, did the cooling system, trans fluid/filter right when we bought it and nothing else has gone wrong since then. Saving up for timing refresh since i'm starting to hear some chain slap on cold start ( have some vanos rattle as well). We did complete suspension+ rear subframe bushing refresh at 155k miles and WOW what a difference in feel with new bushings as they should be.