Thread: New Struts and shocks....well worth the time and money

My Cars
    1998 z3 1.9

New Struts and shocks....well worth the time and money

Hi All,

The handling didn't seem to be what it used to be and bumps seemed harsher than usual. With 110,000 miles on the odometer I figured it was time for new struts and shocks. I spent Saturday replacing the front struts and rear shocks on the Z3. The job was very straight forward with the difficult parts being getting the two bottom strut bolts off and compressing the springs enough to get them on the new struts. Once off examining the struts and shocks. I could compress the piston on all four units and they stay compressed with no rebound. Yikes, how long have they been bad? After struggling with the first new strut, I got the technique down and was able to do the second strut in about half the time of the first. The rear shocks were easy since you don't need to remove the wheels and can do it from Rhino Ramps. Both the rear shocks together took maybe an hour. Al in all an easy do it yourself job and very satisfying.

The ride difference is amazing. I feel like the car is brand new. Well worth the time. I ordered the struts and shocks from Amazon along with a set of spring compressors. They were made in China, but, this day and age they probably all are with just different branding. The total package came to $124.00 A relatively small investment for a big return in handling. From now on at 60,000 miles I am just going to automatically change them as preventive maintenance.

My advice would be that If your car has over 100,000 miles on it and you are running with original struts and shocks....change them. You won't be sorry.

Cheers,
    Life is Amazingly short. Everything you do should put a smile on your face and those around you.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I could compress the piston on all four units and they stay compressed with no rebound. Yikes, how long have they been bad?
    While the shocks were surely shot by that mileage, judging them by the residue gas pressure versus seal drag is not a valid test. Nothing you do by hand is a valid test short of the shock being totally devoid of oil.

The Chinese Schesen (or whatever tehy're called) shocks were all the rage, for about six months. Then the early adopters went quiet. Start saving for some Konis.

/.randy

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Good job! While you likely won't get 110k miles out of the Chinese parts, you will get your money's worth if you don't track your car. Keep us updated on their wear and ride.

Terry

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MPKaier View Post
    ... I ordered the struts and shocks from Amazon... They were made in China, but, this day and age they probably all are with just different branding. The total package came to $124.00 A relatively small investment for a big return in handling...
    I ordered Chinese Sensens five years ago. One of the struts was mis-made so it would not bolt on. So I returned both and put on KYBs. The Sensen shocks were very stiff. One of them developed a knock after 3,000 miles so I replaced both with KYBs.
    Perhaps Sensen's quality has improved since then. And the ride, too.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Did you keep the stock springs?

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by themush1326 View Post
    Sounds like they were reused the way I read it.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobkid View Post
    Sounds like they were reused the way I read it.
    is it common to reuse springs.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    is it common to reuse springs.
    If there's no evidence that the springs are damaged, there isn't any reason not to reuse them. I reused mine, and the cars sits at stock ride height just fine.

Marty

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    If question is for me, I just wanted to replace the original worn struts and shocks. It never occurred to me to replace the springs. Why would I do that, and what springs would I get? For people who have broken springs and need new ones, it is very difficult and expensive to get new springs.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    ... The Chinese Schesen (or whatever tehy're called) shocks were all the rage, for about six months. Then the early adopters went quiet. Start saving for some Konis.
    They were the rage because the distributor, APX Auto Parts, imported a warehouse-full of Sensens and began advertising them in the Z3 forums and even video'd a mechanic doing installations which were posted on YouTube. And who could pass up the deal: a full set of struts and shocks, including shipping, for $136 !!
    Some complained the Sensens were hard riding, but some people pay $600 to get the same thing with Bilsteins, so that was a plus for the Sensens.
    My Sensens were defective. A strut would not mount up so I got KYBs. The shocks were rock hard, and one began to knock after a couple thousand miles, so I got KYBs.

My Cars
    99 M3

New Struts and shocks....well worth the time and money

Glad the install went good. LOL!! While our community is filled with people that profess "nothing but the best will do", I struggle with a full set of shocks and struts for the cost of one Koni or Bilstein rearing shock........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-02-2017 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    1998 z3 1.9
    I did reuse the springs. Since it's a second fun car and I don't track it, I couldn't see the need to replace the front springs, although I was prepared to if I thought they were bad. I only have about 150 miles on the new struts and shocks, but all seems fine. Should I notice anything in the up coming months, I'll surely post it. Some have said that the quality was off on the Sensen's. My guess is QA has improved. Comparing the OEM to the new, in appearance and weld quality, I couldn't really see a difference. And the fit was perfect. I hope the inside is as good as the outside. Time will tell.
    Life is Amazingly short. Everything you do should put a smile on your face and those around you.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Why would I do that, and what springs would I get? For people who have broken springs and need new ones, it is very difficult and expensive to get new springs.
    The Lesjofors 4008451 were the correct front spring replacement for my 2.3. The main reason for purchasing new springs was to be able to totally assemble the front Koni shocks, so that replacement was drop-in. It proved to be a good idea, because conventional, backyard spring compressors weren't enough to compress the springs, so I needed to outsource the job to a mechanic with a proper spring compression machine anyway.

I found the springs for about $100 on ebay, as new but previously opened equipment. Not something everyone wants to add to their budget, but it was worth it not to have to deal with spring compressors.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MPKaier View Post
    ... on the Sensen's. My guess is QA has improved. Comparing the OEM to the new, in appearance and weld quality, I couldn't really see a difference. And the fit was perfect. I hope the inside is as good as the outside. Time will tell.
    My Sensens were jewels cosmetically. They have good internal specs, too - Japanese seals, etc:
    http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....986&cc=1013331
    And are so inexpensive, $110 a set of four:
    http://apxautoparts.com/sensen-front...-warranty.html
    I am sure they have corrected the quality control problems that I had five years ago. I just hope they no longer ride so stiff and hard.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 10-03-2017 at 07:38 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I am looking for rear shocks for my 2000 M Roadster. The Sensen and KYB catalogs show shocks for the Z3 but exclude the M Roadster. The Koni catalog shows the same part number for the Z3 and M Roadster. Are the Z3 and M Roadster rear shocks interchangeable?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by lpschafer View Post
    Are the Z3 and M Roadster rear shocks interchangeable?
    I hope so. I put Koni adjustable rear shocks on my M (and Koni inserts on the front). They have made the car way more comfortable while still being firm.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    99 M3
    Koni USA site indicates “M” and non-“M” fitment for Koni 8040 1217 Sport. The adjustability of the rebound is such to span the spectrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Op is right. New shocks make a big difference, (I went with Koni), even when the old ones are not all that bad. My Z3M just crossed 100k miles. The only shock problem I noticed was an extra cycle of up-down on small bumps. Like a vibration that happens only once or twice. The new shocks fixed that of course, but also made the car handle better. It corners better and feels more glued to the road. It's not as great an improvement as the IE subframe bushings (which should be done to all Z3s), but it's right up there. It' so much better that I may not even spend the money for sway bars. ............ Who am I kidding? Of course I'll buy sway bars, when I get used to the new shocks.