Thread: Bmw x3 E83,2005 Sensor problems

My Cars
    Bmw X3

Bmw x3 E83,2005 Sensor problems

Hi everybody!

First off made a diagnostic check on my Bmw X3 E83 2005 at 120000Km and it says both wheel speed sensors in the front is permanent damage no volt current(autocom diagnostics).I tried to clean them both out and they looked dirty on the tip,put them in nothing happened same 4 lights on the dashboard is still on wheelpressure,4x4,abs,and handbrake sign all in yellow.I am hoping that ordering new sensors will do the trick.I have my suspicions that since both are out left and right front that it's something else.I have been driving the car for a little bit before the diagnostic so it could be that one sensor broke and the other shortly after!!! The car is studdering in low speeds 1st gear under 10km/h and only when parking or turning in full.I changed the transfer case oil at first since i thought it was that before the diagnostics which seemed to help abit on the studdering but it's back again now.The sensor connector from the abs module to the sensor cable is giving resistance on the ddm ohm scale at about 1,360 ohms on boths sides.I tried to measure dc on and turning the wheel but seems nothing is happening there really dead.So few questions.I will start of with changing sensors and see from there but it seems there is no reluctor ring it's in the wheel bearing? that would be next issue i guess before looking at the ABS module.So a few questions.

1.How common is it that the bearing ABS seal fails and not just the sensors? Really think it's odd that it should be on both sides at the same time..

2.What wheel bearing size is for this car does anybody know that? It seems there is different sizes ? And does anyone have experience on a better branded bearing.I saw there is bearings with magnetic abs sensor in the sealing? Is there some way to check thru the tiny hole that the sensor is in??

3.Do i need to reset the dashboard when changing sensors or should it come off by itself if that is the problem?

I have my worst fears that it is the ABS module that is making this but i will start off in the cheaper parts to see if it works.

Thanks everybody for a great informative forum to check on for problems.And would appreciate any advice or help if somebody feel they had same issue and found the reason.

Best Regards Robin.
    Last edited by Beemer meaner; 09-30-2017 at 03:20 AM.

I had an 06 prior to my 13. I see the mileage you have and i would get it on a lift and check for play at all your joints. This may be the cause of the low speed stuttering. Regarding your lights all being on, I wouldnt throw parts at it before getting a better idea of the problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Bmw X3
    Hey! I now had it on a diagnostic check at a BMW mechanic with good reputation.He got the same thing both front Speed sensors permanent fail nothing else and he looked extra into transmission and transfer case.He checked the play in joints and everything seemed fine.He asked how long i was driving it before the check in case one sensor broke and the other maybe after.I am not to sure the mechanic offered to start there,changing the sensors...Very expensive quote so this is something i can do myself.They offered a faulty seek and reset lights after i changed them without cost which is nice!! He said if it would have been the ABS module they usually get the codes for that internal fault abs module.From reading up little bit it could be the bearings,yaw sensor,or steering angle sensor aswell? The studdering is still there i will now order speed sensors front,they are not so expensive and easy for me to change and take it from there.Thanks for the tips and i hope this will be it now.

My Cars
    bmw x3 e83 3.0d 2004

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer meaner View Post
    Hey! I now had it on a diagnostic check at a BMW mechanic with good reputation.He got the same thing both front Speed sensors permanent fail nothing else and he looked extra into transmission and transfer case.He checked the play in joints and everything seemed fine.He asked how long i was driving it before the check in case one sensor broke and the other maybe after.I am not to sure the mechanic offered to start there,changing the sensors...Very expensive quote so this is something i can do myself.They offered a faulty seek and reset lights after i changed them without cost which is nice!! He said if it would have been the ABS module they usually get the codes for that internal fault abs module.From reading up little bit it could be the bearings,yaw sensor,or steering angle sensor aswell? The studdering is still there i will now order speed sensors front,they are not so expensive and easy for me to change and take it from there.Thanks for the tips and i hope this will be it now.
    Have you solved the problem?I have the exact same problem and i am waiting for your advise.Thank you.