Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What 4WD vehicle would you like your Z3 M Roadster to transform into?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    Wishing you the best! Good luck!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Cheapest Volvo V70 D5 you can find with AWD, Webasto and proper winter tires.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Cheapest Volvo V70 D5 you can find with AWD, Webasto and proper winter tires.
    Do you actually have a Webasto? More info on this please.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    my 4x4 is a 2007 VW Touareg TDI its the V10 model but a V6 Gasser would do what you want.
    nailed it. but we are biased. after logging about 350 miles in the Treg today I concur! although diesel TDI is a must IMHO - but unfortunately for the OP pretty onobtanium these days due to dieselGate (or as I like to call it Chicken Tax Part 2) Damn thing moves (V6 can't even imagine V10), hauls, and gets about the same mileage - sometimes better than the Z3.

somebody actually mentioned Isuzu Rodeo? damn brings back memories - I actually had one with a standard transmission - not bad, but engine was ancient and oil burning had to go in my case.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Hey guys, some really good input here, thanks! I would have replied earlier, but my email notifications aren't working on this post.

For now, I am KEEPING the Z3. To be honest, I will keep it as long as I can justify it. To that end, and my cheap budget, I may try to find a beater this winter, as in under 2k ... which I'm finding local cars here in Bend. I'm starting up some wood projects and in the event we buy a house next Spring, I need something I'm not afraid to throw building materials in the back. While a pickup seems to make the most sense, I am gravitating more to boxy SUV's like Land Rover/Range Rover, Montero, 4Runner, Jeep Cherokee, Bronco's (older big guns), Blazers ... and I hadn't thought of Volvo's, but I'll look into those. As long as I can pull a small work trailer for house materials, I'm golden.

Since we wouldn't be towing anything until next summer, and it's easy enough to sell/buy another better vehicle for towing, I'm taking that off my original list of needs. So for now, it's all about driving in the snow for three months, having covered cargo space, and enough reliability to get me into late Spring. I'd love to find something that has enough character that I'm willing to spend money on it when it is necessary, within reason. And as mentioned with the Land Rover, I have a contact to a mechanic that is affordable, and parts as well ... otherwise, I wouldn't entertain the idea of a LR/RR.

At some point if our budget allows, we are starting to think that my wife can replace her 2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Wagon with a bigger SUV that will tow. Then, I can have a fun beater geared for running around in the snow.

And by the way, the 4Runner idea is a good one. My only concern is that the '89 I had with a V6 cost me $6k in 9 months to keep it running. BUT it was really fun to drive no matter the weather. I'm just worried about the V6 ...

I have driven older 80's SAAB that was super cool. Drove like it was on rails. But I can't remember if I've seen any in town. Which doesn't mean anything, but it's another car that I personally like the body style.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    The best snow vehicle I have ever driven is my old Vanagon Syncro. I used to haul people up to the top of the mountain at Wintergreen when the only other vehicles were the snowcats that could make the trip up. Only trouble is you won't find one running for $4 grand. They have a Fergusen viscous coupling dividing power, a rear locker, and with the rear engine, have great traction.
    These things have the legacy/heretige too, as they were used as Porsche support vehicles for the Paris-Dakar rallys back in the 1980's. Oh, and they will haul a ton easily (literally).
    -Donny

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Those are definitely cool vehicles. I don't think I've ever seen a Vanagon Syncro under $14k here in the Pacific NW.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Do you actually have a Webasto? More info on this please.
    I have had as winter car: 4x V70, 1x S80, 1x S60 which all had webasto's.
    They were ordered from factory like that so I dont know anything other than they worked and are very essential of winter driving.
    Last edited by Remotion; 10-27-2017 at 03:09 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Ah, you're in Finland, of course, I didn't notice that at first. They don't come that way here in the lower 48. How do they work, I mean functionally--what do they do and how?

My Cars
    3 Series
    Just keep buying $1000 Jeep Grand Cherokees on Craigslist and throw them away when they break.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Ah, you're in Finland, of course, I didn't notice that at first. They don't come that way here in the lower 48. How do they work, I mean functionally--what do they do and how?
    I think that I am derailing another thread again, at least it's not WW2 stories.
    They burn diesel to produce heat and then it circulates that heat around the engine lubrication system and then it starts to vent that heat to cockpit. So it essentially heats both engine and cockpit to very good tropical temps in about 30seconds. This is done by programming clock to start it at wanted time beforehand. I even had webasto in 940 years a go. In never models you have additional ways to remote start it from keyfob or mobilephone.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    I think that I am derailing another thread again, at least it's not WW2 stories.
    They burn diesel to produce heat and then it circulates that heat around the engine lubrication system and then it starts to vent that heat to cockpit. So it essentially heats both engine and cockpit to very good tropical temps in about 30seconds. This is done by programming clock to start it at wanted time beforehand. I even had webasto in 940 years a go. In never models you have additional ways to remote start it from keyfob or mobilephone.
    That's so cool--I want it--but then at the same time I'm glad I live in a place where they don't sell it. It does get pretty cold here--into the single digits Fahrenheit (-15 Celsius or so), but that only lasts a few days.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Hey guys, I appreciated all the comments. Surprisingly, we haven't gotten any significant snow here in Bend, Oregon, so I'm still enjoying my M Roadster. Even with an inch of snow on the ground, I don't have issues.

As my wife and I talk through this topic, there is a good possibility that I will need to replace my car. Ideas like buying cheap Cherokee's or the like are good if the goal is just me getting around in snow, but it may turn out that I need to have a vehicle that I can enjoy driving (has character) AND can pull a sub 2000 lb vintage travel trailer around the Pacific NW. That means whatever I get needs to be comfortable for our aging bodies on long drives over 2 hours.

I have started talking to my trusty german car master tech and thinking about the Porsche Cayenne S (2006-2008) or BMW X5 ... either should be fun, and the X5 might allow me a little more room to tune at some point.

Fortunately, my tech is a good guy and has been instrumental in helping me keep my M Roadster in tip top shape and giving me price breaks on parts. Even with that, my BMW has been cheaper to maintain than my wife's 2008 Subaru Imprezza Outback Wagon ... which she will be replacing as well.
    Last edited by mspa; 01-03-2018 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Keep the car and buy a Second Generation Nissan Xterra Off Road Package in 6 speed Manual. /thread
    Z3///M Roadster | GC Sleeves | TCKline 450lb (F) & 700lb (R) | Koni S/A | Porsche 996 4-Pots | CSL 345mm (F) | e38 328mm (R)

My Cars
    z3
    I don't like towing with the X5, short wheelbase and mine doesnt have the newer tow stability feature. Under 2000lbs isn't a lot but if you are going to move much more weight than that, I would look past an X5.

Considered a Range Rover?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    BB, yes I have. I love the LR3's, but just not sure I want to take the risk of getting into a money pit.

I have time since we may not buy a travel trailer until summer, or later. Planning on getting a house this Spring and if it ends up being a fixer upper, I may end up getting a cheap pickup for hauling materials.

Meeners, duly noted. I prefer the idea of buying a third vehicle and I see plenty of Nissan's around here. I may see if I can hold off on this buying decision until after we get a house, and maybe that will dictate our present need.

As many of you will understand, these M Roadsters/Coupes are special. I put a lot of work into finding mine. I even bought out of state just to find the right car for me. So I don't take this decision lightly. If I didn't love the car, it would be a simple decision.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    BB, yes I have. I love the LR3's, but just not sure I want to take the risk of getting into a money pit.

I have time since we may not buy a travel trailer until summer, or later. Planning on getting a house this Spring and if it ends up being a fixer upper, I may end up getting a cheap pickup for hauling materials.

Meeners, duly noted. I prefer the idea of buying a third vehicle and I see plenty of Nissan's around here. I may see if I can hold off on this buying decision until after we get a house, and maybe that will dictate our present need.

As many of you will understand, these M Roadsters/Coupes are special. I put a lot of work into finding mine. I even bought out of state just to find the right car for me. So I don't take this decision lightly. If I didn't love the car, it would be a simple decision.
    If you decide to purchase an xterra/frontier or 4runner my suggestion would be to find a manual. if you have to go auto, I suggest making sure you swap to the new style radiators or get a separate trans oil cooler as the old both have the tranny oil cooler running through it. Really easy fixes that give you extra insurance.

I'm a motorcycle guy as well so I feel your pain. Do NOT sell your toys if you don't have to. I have a 4x4 SUV with a 4x8 trailer to haul things and a 4 door sports sedan for travel/business. Both vehicles were had for under $6k so it is possible.
    Z3///M Roadster | GC Sleeves | TCKline 450lb (F) & 700lb (R) | Koni S/A | Porsche 996 4-Pots | CSL 345mm (F) | e38 328mm (R)

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Good word. I have a '78 BMW R100S that I enjoy ... and don't want to sell it.

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    It is only a stop gap car, so buy an old Subaru and only drive it when the roady doesn't fit the need.

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    Find a clean, rust free Subaru WRX STI - grab a wagon if you can.

1994 M3 Eurospec (Canadian Edition) #25 (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=12244)

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs

My favorite beater

Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD in the garage that has 400k miles on it, but they are very slow.
    The phone booth on its side, inclinometer and best seats I've ever owned, I had 2 of em.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I wish I could have kept the 4WD wagon and Tercel hatch that we had. Life sucks m

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Those 4X4 Tercel wagons were the bomb in their day. Around here they rusted away many many years ago and well before their time. Great cars in every other way though and decades ahead of their time.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    Hey guys, I appreciated all the comments. Surprisingly, we haven't gotten any significant snow here in Bend, Oregon, so I'm still enjoying my M Roadster. Even with an inch of snow on the ground, I don't have issues.

As my wife and I talk through this topic, there is a good possibility that I will need to replace my car. Ideas like buying cheap Cherokee's or the like are good if the goal is just me getting around in snow, but it may turn out that I need to have a vehicle that I can enjoy driving (has character) AND can pull a sub 2000 lb vintage travel trailer around the Pacific NW. That means whatever I get needs to be comfortable for our aging bodies on long drives over 2 hours.

I have started talking to my trusty german car master tech and thinking about the Porsche Cayenne S (2006-2008) or BMW X5 ... either should be fun, and the X5 might allow me a little more room to tune at some point.

Fortunately, my tech is a good guy and has been instrumental in helping me keep my M Roadster in tip top shape and giving me price breaks on parts. Even with that, my BMW has been cheaper to maintain than my wife's 2008 Subaru Imprezza Outback Wagon ... which she will be replacing as well.
    I have a 14 Audi allroad as my "other car". I'm towing snowmobiles with it... about 2000 pound covered trailer. It tows really well, and if I'm driving between 55 and 65, I get 13+ mpg. If I push it up to 75, it still tows great, but gets closer to 10 mpg. Without the trailer, it's fun to drive and it's easily modified for how you want to use it.

Side note, I had an 11 X5 diesel. It is a good tow machine. In fact, the short wheelbase makes it easier to maneuver a trailer, IMO. I towed my 5500 pound boat with it for up to an hour ride, and it worked well. Being diesel, it gets amazing fuel mileage when towing. I've seen 17 mpg while towing my snowmobile trailer at 75 to 80. My previous tow vehicles average 9-10. I really liked the X5, but wanted a car instead of an SUV... plus consider the cost of maintaining a diesel X5 out of warranty.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I put Blizzaks on my XC70 this year--wow what a beast in the snow. I went ahead and got the optional road hazard warranty and slave to sit in the back seat and whisper "remember you are mortal" which I highly recommend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast