Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 4WD vehicle would you like your Z3 M Roadster to transform into?

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT

What 4WD vehicle would you like your Z3 M Roadster to transform into?

If your Z3 M Roadster could be a transformer ... what 4WD vehicle would it change into?

Silly question? Maybe. But over the next 6 months, I may have to consider selling my car to get into a vehicle capable of handling the snow here in Bend, Oregon, as well as pulling a small travel trailer (~2000 lbs). The alternative, is selling my motorcycle, if I think I can get a beater 4WD that can fill the need for $4k or less. But then, there is added insurance. Yeah, we are on a budget, so I have to work within what I can afford, and what my better half is willing to agree to.

If you are like me, you love your M Roadster. It is not necessarily a rational decision, but an emotional one. Personally, for the money, I can't think of another car I want. I'd love a 911, but with the silly prices they bring, I think that train has long since passed me by. So back to my original question. It seems a fitting question to me because there are times I wish my car could transform into having 4WD capabilities so I could drive through our winters here. The way my brain works is simple. What vehicle has the character, legacy/heritage, pride of ownership like BMW ... is fun to drive (in it's own way), and has enough functionality to convince the wife I "need" it ... considering the vehicles I like are gas hogs.

Fortunately, I drive less than 5k miles a year, so I don't give a toss about gas mileage. All my wife cares about is that we can afford to own and maintain it, and that it's more comfortable than my Z3 on the highway. She does NOT like the ride in my car. It has TC Kline SA Coilover suspension with a bunch of other stuff ... I enjoy it.

So here is my short list of vehicles I'm considering. I won't go into why, or to what degree I'd want to customize. I'm simply starting a potential conversation where I hope other like-minded Z3 owners can share their experience. Maybe it will come to nothing. Maybe it will help me narrow my focus, or come up with a different plan. Now, the list.

To replace my car:
    1999 Land Rover Discovery II
    2006 Land Rover LR3
    1980-1989 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ60)
    1990-1997 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ80)

As you can see, I like older boxy vehicles that have options for customizing and known to handle snow and off road driving. I will never do serious trail driving. I'll be driving around the bumpy town of Bend, going camping, to the river, and up the mountain for snow sports. I'll carry some stuff, but never enough to warrant a big Suburban.

I know the issues and costs with both brands, but I can't think of anything else that makes more sense for what my needs are. And to be honest, it took me awhile to find my car. It was taken care extremely well, and the major stuff was done. It is still a 100% functional car with nothing broken, and solid subframe seams. So I don't want to sell my car, get into a money pit, then wish I could find another Z3 again. So there you go.

If nothing else, we can stick to my topic ... what 4WD or AWD vehicle would you like your Z3 to transform into?

--------------------
    UPDATE 2/21/18
    --------------------

Unless other people want to continue discussing my original question, we can conclude my search in that I've narrowed my search to two possibilities. Today's post (#52 on page 3) outlines details. The short of it is that I'm looking at 2006 Porsche Cayenne S models and the possibility of moving to a Z3 3.0i COUPE.
    Last edited by mspa; 02-21-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: UPDATE

mherington is offline Passing Gas... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    Totally not in your budget, but I absolutely love my 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 CCSB 4x4 ( GM K2xx series). There’s some serious engineering going into these newer pickups (all brands). There are ways to get a tough, reliable truck wile staying close to the finances... but it will be the definition of a beater. Anything built in the mid 2000’s onwards ought to be just as easy to service as our beloved Z3s, with the advantage of cheap parts aplenty. Just my .02$

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I really want an Isuzu Rodeo, an older model, as a secondary vehicle. However, we don't get much snow here and I have a set of snow tires and wheels. If an old miata can handle snow with snow tires, and my old hatchback econobox could handle it, I feel the Z3 would be surprisingly fine.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    I had a 2009 Silverado 1500 Z71 crew cab that was the best truck I've ever owned. Hands down. Solid engineering. Everyone who rode in it was surprised, like they'd never been in a "good" truck before. So I understand where you are coming from mherington.

LannVouivre, I do drive in a certain amount of snow with my M ... but the snow can get serious around here. While the roads are usually groomed well, there are always transition points, or places in between plowed areas that you can easily get stuck. I've seen cars trying to pull into angled driveways of businesses that get stuck on a "hump" of snow in the transition. Plus, I can't trust other drivers, as every winter I've been around at least one close call ... and I'm not willing to put myself in that position and risk damaging the car.

I bought a 1986 Isuzu Trooper II in white, smoked glass, 2-doors ... one of my favorite SUVs ... peppy 4 cyl, but can't pull a trailer. I see those things going for cheap. But then, I sold mine when the harmonic balancer went out, as I didn't want to pay for a cam job at the time.
    Last edited by mspa; 09-29-2017 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I know this doesn't answer your direct question, but I wouldn't sell the M. It's an affordable appreciating asset that you can drive and enjoy (that seems to be a rare combination).

I would buy a WJ Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. These can be had very cheaply and the parts/mods are plentiful and inexpensive. With the factory tow package these can pull up to 7000lbs and they can be very capable off road. It might not have the bling of a Land Rover, but they are solid vehicles.

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    I'd love mine to become a Rothman Porsche 953 from the Dakar rally days

https://youtu.be/018OlzFd1BI

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    I like how you think! There are times I look at the M and think I'm lucky to have stumbled on this, in part because it has been affordable over the last three years ... and it's just plain fun. 90% of the year, it's the perfect car for me. In fact, my wife's Subaru has cost more because of the head gasket issue. Plus, my local shop, German Master Tech has been the best shop I have ever had the pleasure of frequenting. The owner, Tim, has been good to me and always honest and fair. Plus they know their stuff, and THAT is part of why I don't want to let my BMW go. To me, that is an unavoidable part of owning any car.

In my quest to find top rated used 4WD's under 5k, the Cherokee popped in two iterations. The Cherokee XJ (1984-2001) and Grand Cherokee (1993-1998) ... I have no idea (yet) what the difference is, but you're right ... they are plentiful out here year 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I know this doesn't answer your direct question, but I wouldn't sell the M. It's an affordable appreciating asset that you can drive and enjoy (that seems to be a rare combination).

I would buy a WJ Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. These can be had very cheaply and the parts/mods are plentiful and inexpensive. With the factory tow package these can pull up to 7000lbs and they can be very capable off road. It might not have the bling of a Land Rover, but they are solid vehicles.
    - - - Updated - - -

Uh, yah. Although, I would say having a wide-fendered rally version of an e30 or 2002 could be pretty fun. Can't tow anything, but would be really fun off road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobkid View Post
    I'd love mine to become a Rothman Porsche 953 from the Dakar rally days

https://youtu.be/018OlzFd1BI

My Cars
    z3
    Saab Turbo X

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    This site will tell you everything you need to know about the WJ (1999-2004) http://wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm

I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee and put 160k miles on it over 14 years. It's on the list of cars that I wish I hadn't sold...

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Volvo XC70 2005-2007 (skip 2001-2004, 2008 to 2016 probably too expensive) or XC90 2005-2010 (skip 2002-2004--much newer than 2010 is probably too expensive). Either one with the 5 cyl turbo engine is basically indestructible, doesn't rust, has a perfect full time all wheel drive system, timeless styling, and can be had for under $5K. Oh, they're also the safest cars on the road, get 22 around town and 30 highway (XC70), have enormous cargo space, are DIY friendly, have strong forum DIY support, have parts sites devoted almost exclusively to them (FCP Euro, IPD, Europarts), have readily available computer interface diagnostics (VIDA), are enthusiast owned and driven, and are impeccably engineered to the smallest detail. Volvo stuck to the KISS engineering principal far longer than BMW, and followed an evolutionary engineering development path, rather than a revolutionary one. The 5 cyl turbo for example was continuously developed starting with its introduction in 1993 and all the way through its retirement in 2013, by which time it had been honed to perfection. No need for snows, they can go anywhere in any amount of snow on all seasons no problem. Can't go wrong.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Have you considered a Montero or Montero Sport? I’ve recently become obsessed with them

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    my 4x4 is a 2007 VW Touareg TDI its the V10 model but a V6 Gasser would do what you want.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Subaru
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    We just picked this up earlier this year. 2017 Focus RS. Ticking time bomb apparently... Fun car though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 M3 - 1987 325es
    Keep the Z and get a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD in the garage that has 400k miles on it, but they are very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Volvo XC70 2005-2007 (skip 2001-2004, 2008 to 2016 probably too expensive) or XC90 2005-2010 (skip 2002-2004--much newer than 2010 is probably too expensive). Either one with the 5 cyl turbo engine is basically indestructible, doesn't rust, has a perfect full time all wheel drive system, timeless styling, and can be had for under $5K. Oh, they're also the safest cars on the road, get 22 around town and 30 highway (XC70), have enormous cargo space, are DIY friendly, have strong forum DIY support, have parts sites devoted almost exclusively to them (FCP Euro, IPD, Europarts), have readily available computer interface diagnostics (VIDA), are enthusiast owned and driven, and are impeccably engineered to the smallest detail. Volvo stuck to the KISS engineering principal far longer than BMW, and followed an evolutionary engineering development path, rather than a revolutionary one. The 5 cyl turbo for example was continuously developed starting with its introduction in 1993 and all the way through its retirement in 2013, by which time it had been honed to perfection. No need for snows, they can go anywhere in any amount of snow on all seasons no problem. Can't go wrong.
    very very cool....I had NO idea....I dig them..

ok..Im gonna look.

- - - Updated - - -

.....Id like my coupe to morph into this:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VonDeLinde View Post
    Keep the Z and get a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    is that a cocoa brown suede/alcantara headliner???????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
    Have you considered a Montero or Montero Sport? I’ve recently become obsessed with them
    me too...........went to see one...mint....no rust....45k miles..$2 grand!!!...2001 irrc .......I got there and 6 guy were waiting......I had no chance

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    We just picked this up earlier this year. 2017 Focus RS. Ticking time bomb apparently... Fun car though.

I don't follow domestics too closely - what issues is the RS having? I've heard good things about them from owners.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    I own a 2000 Z3, and just sold my BMW X5. I can tell you that going from one to the other is a real shock. If you give up that Z3 and move to an SUV ... any SUV... you will hate it! I liked the X5 3.5d, and think it's a great vehicle. But, not really fun to drive.

If you can only have one car, I suggest an Audi Quattro, like an allroad or an Avant. It drives like a car, much more sporty, and you can tow. I've had an 07 A4 Avant MT, and loved driving it. It can tow 2k pounds. I just traded my X5 for a 14 allroad. I installed the hitch in a few hours, and really enjoy driving it. Much more pleasant to drive than the X5, and it can still tow over 2000 pounds.

Another option is the BMW sport wagon, or the Volvo XC line. All are fun to drive, can tow your bikes, and do well in the snow.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SounderMN View Post
    I own a 2000 Z3, and just sold my BMW X5. I can tell you that going from one to the other is a real shock. If you give up that Z3 and move to an SUV ... any SUV... you will hate it! I liked the X5 3.5d, and think it's a great vehicle. But, not really fun to drive.

If you can only have one car, I suggest an Audi Quattro, like an allroad or an Avant. It drives like a car, much more sporty, and you can tow. I've had an 07 A4 Avant MT, and loved driving it. It can tow 2k pounds. I just traded my X5 for a 14 allroad. I installed the hitch in a few hours, and really enjoy driving it. Much more pleasant to drive than the X5, and it can still tow over 2000 pounds.

Another option is the BMW sport wagon, or the Volvo XC line. All are fun to drive, can tow your bikes, and do well in the snow.
    As much as I love Audi (I've owned 7), I can't recommend one that's far out of warranty. One of my favorites was a '97 urS6. I LOVED that car and its 20VT AAN motor. While easy to work on it required a lot of said work. Constantly. On a $4,000 budget you'll only find 10+ year old examples. And they'll likely need a fair amount of work.
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I don't follow domestics too closely - what issues is the RS having? I've heard good things about them from owners.
    There have been quite a few HG problems. Ford doesn't have an official fix.. Its at dealers discretion replace HG or replace motor. Friend had his go at 18k they changed out his HG. Folks that are building motors are going back to the 2.0 block from the ST. Failures are happening on stock cars.

Oh and it seems the transfer case leaks on every one of these. Even after replacing the gasket or seal they end up leaking again.

Fun car though. My wife says all the STs want to race her.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    Quote Originally Posted by MRFAST View Post
    As much as I love Audi (I've owned 7), I can't recommend one that's far out of warranty. One of my favorites was a '97 urS6. I LOVED that car and its 20VT AAN motor. While easy to work on it required a lot of said work. Constantly. On a $4,000 budget you'll only find 10+ year old examples. And they'll likely need a fair amount of work.
    Agreed, but if OP sells the Z3, he's got a nice budget for a newer vehicle. And, while I also agree Audis, especially pre-2009 may need work... it still pales in comparison to a Land Rover. Just sayin'.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SounderMN View Post
    ... it still pales in comparison to a Land Rover. Just sayin'.
    that's a fair point
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8 Manual
    FWIW, my other car for the past 3 years has been a Range Rover Evoque, which I have loved. Good handling, good MPG, AMAZING sound system, phenomenal 4/AWD system. Might be lacking on space or towing for you, but you could get the Discovery Sport which is essentially the same thing just a little bigger and less sporty. However I am just about to trade in the Evoque for a Alfa Romeo Stelvio as soon as the one I just bought arrives from Italy. I can't say anything bad about the Evoque, I was on the fence about getting another one (there was little else that compares), but I fell in love with the style and the transmission of the Stelvio, where the transmission on the Evoque was the only thing that ever failed to live up to my expectations for a Range Rover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast