Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What 4WD vehicle would you like your Z3 M Roadster to transform into?

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roadster
    2012 Tacoma.jpg
    I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, great vehicle for the winter.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    I'm looking at 2006 Porsche Cayenne S models. My German shop knows my tolerance for repairs, my love of German cars, and especially my M Roadster. We have talked about common issues and repair costs. I have also talked to other people with experience with these cars and I'm comfortable moving on a deal if I find the right vehicle. I know that some people think it's not a rationale decision, but I'm ok with that. A few people didn't understand why I wanted the M Roadster ... I trust my tech's experience with well sorted Cayenne S models. I know what to look for, and what to stay away from. I no longer need a vehicle with towing capacity. I just need a fun car that will allow me some snow driving during the winter, on roads. The Cayenne will fulfill all my needs with the bonus of towing, if I needed it, which since we'll be moving next month, could come in handy.

This leads me to a second option, that may have to wait ... but I am thinking about Z3 3.0i Coupes. I don't need an M car, as much as I love them. Originally, I had searched for months for a good M Coupe, but couldn't pass up the M Roadster I bought. My reasons for getting a coupe style body were the same as they are now. With the right 3.0i Coupe, I can have the storage area I need for 90% of the time, ability to have roof rack for cross country skis, snowboard, bikes ... and I could get a set of Blizzaks for winter driving on our plowed roads. I have no illusions that this option won't be the best winter solution, but it is an option.

I will post back when I'm in my next vehicle with an update, for what it might be worth. I appreciate the input!
    Last edited by mspa; 02-23-2018 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I have an 07 Touareg V10 TDI same chassis as the 06 Cayenne S. Main issues I have had are with drainage. Make sure to clean out the sun roof drains. And there are some drains for the body that get clogged as well. Plenty of youtube videos showing how to remedy those. Other than that I have only had some minor issues with the keyless entry system that led me to disconnect the passenger door proximity sensor because it kept thinking someone was trying to unlock the door and kept draining the battery. You will only have to deal with 1 battery since it wont be a diesel so that isn't bad. The battery is under the drives seat! I had to replace both of my batteries.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    I haven't heard about the battery/passenger door issue, but am aware of the sunroof drainage issue, as well as keeping the drainage area underneath the fuse box clean. I appreciate the info venom.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Well, we've been hit with what appears to be snow/cold weather that may be around for weeks, maybe a couple of months. I can't get my car out of the garage, so it turns out I waited too late this year to do this, and will hold off for now .... more time to consider different options, if I change my mind about the Cayenne.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9
    a clean 90s - 2001 Jeep Cherokee, an appreciating asset, too (you'll see) and a car full of style and charm. Easy to work on, cheap to maintain (apart from gas, which you don't care about).

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    So you are saying I should have TWO appreciating assets?

I did see a nice Cherokee yesterday that got me thinking about that. I have always liked the lines of that era Cherokee. Plus, I can find them for under $2k in running order ... of course, that doesn't mean they won't require work, but as long as I have my M Roadster, I could care less what the 4x4 is like as long as it gets me around town to the river and mountains.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9
    Yes! I had two of them and one Wrangler and while I thought the Wrangler was the better car, I am now thinking of buying another Cherokee again. Personally, I like the stock ones with conservative colours (silver or dark green) as they look much more grown up than a Wrangler or heavily modified one. I wish I could find a clean example for 2k, though. Can you find me one as well? by the way, I made the switch from Z3 to 911 you mentioned, but the Cherokee desire is pretty strong. image-704987709.jpg.png

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Those are the all American looking rigs for sure. I have to agree with you. Enjoy that 911 ... I'm sure that whatever year it is, it's fun. If I run across a sub-2k Cherokee, I'll pm you.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Well, I'm pushing the Cayenne off my list, and there's no (happy house) option for a third vehicle ... but I have stumbled upon the solution that was staring me in the face.

2000-2005 BMW e46 Sport Touring or xi ... talked to the owner of my shop and the e46 is their favorite platform. After talking through a variety of things we could do to "a car", I left that phone call amped up. The e46 responds well to different refresh, update, and performance packages and after talking through possibilities, I'm a man on a mission. I love the inline 3.2 in my M, and as irrational as it may seem, I was getting a little sad at not having a BMW in my garage. Motorcycle doesn't count. I am finding that RWD or AWD manual trannies with sport package are like chickens teeth. I may need to find a basic model in the $5-6k range, then upgrade the suspension and do a refresh package to transform it into a better handling vehicle. He has done S54 swaps and looking at M Touring cars a few guys have built are a little exciting to me.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I had a 99 Cherokee XJ 4x4 4.0 before the Touareg and I loved it. I paid $2000 for it, drove it for 4 years and sold it for $1800. I would still have it if I had space for it. It's nice having a vehicle you don't care much about when the roads are bad.

My wife has a 3 series X-Drive Diesel. She used to always have company cars (traverse, Equinox, ect) with awd and said that the BMW seems a little less stable in the snow/ice. Plus if the snow is deep you don't have the ground clearance of an SUV. We live in Indianapolis so we don't get too much deep snow. Maybe once a year we will get 10" on the ground but the roads don't stay bad for too long.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roadster
    I had a Cherokee when I lived above Syracuse NY and loved it. I had a Subaru Outback after that and loved t. I had an A4 Avant after that and loved it, and I wish Audi still imported the Avant in USA (Allroad is still an option). My wife dailies a Touareg and loves it. I love my Toyota Tacoma 4x4.

In short, any of those is a capable winter vehicle. ;-)

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Quote Originally Posted by elgolfo View Post
    I wish I could find a clean example for 2k, though. Can you find me one as well?
    Is this clean enough?

https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/ct...513552810.html

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    My M Roadster is listed again. I figure I'll give it two weeks, through next Friday (7/27), and if no serious bites, I'll take that as a sign to keep at least another year. I agree with earlier comments on it being a reliable, appreciating asset. I have enjoyed this car more than any I have owned over the last 40 years, which is saying something. To be honest, I'm hoping nobody will buy my car. How's that? So I have written down all the suggestions and will narrow down to a list of 4x4's to hunt down later this summer. Again, I appreciate the comments!

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    10 months later ... after owning a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I'm looking for another bimmer ... my sights set on a e46 touring with stick. Started a new thread in the proper subforum. I knew I'd be back ...............

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    did you sell the M? I sold mine and got a 95 RX7 with an LS swap. I sold my Touareg also and got an 06 BMW 650i with a stick (no smg bull shit). Then I got a cheap ass 2000 Excursion to pull my trailer and haul crap and get 9mpg...
    1995 Mazda RX-7 Feed Widebody LS3 6-speed (Toy, project)
    2010 Cadillac Escalade Luxury (Daily, Pulls my 18' car hauler)
    2014 BMW 328d XDrive (Wife's Daily)
    Have owned 4 other BWM's I no longer have.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    I did sell the M. I can only have one car, so while it was a hard decision, I was happy it was a good couple that bought it. They had owned M Roadsters before and were the kind of owners you'd want your car to be with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123