Thread: Trans adaptation reset learning procure

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Trans adaptation reset learning procure

How strictly do you have to follow this adaptation relearning process after you reset the transmission adaptions? Is it like a nintendo cheat code where if I miss one "over" or "up" it wont reset, lol. I just replaced the mechanics solenoids and reset adaptations in INPA is why i am asking.

Im not sure where i can drive on the street accelerating up to 6th gear then coming to a stop...9 times in a row?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You don't have to follow the whole routine verbatim - the car will eventually complete the cycle during normal driving and perform the appropriate adaptations.

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Trans adaptation reset learning procure

Thanks for the info. I have not had time to do any of the relearn procedure and have driven maybe 200 miles on the car and it feels exactly the same as before I replaced the solenoids ( delay when starting in first gear and mildly rough shift 3-4). How long do you think I should give it to relearn? I am struggling with Inpa because i can only get it to work in german.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    It may take several days to complete the adaptation procedure. I assume you have eliminated other possible causes of your trans ailments (correct fluid type, clean filter and correct fluid level, worn clutches etc.)

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Brand new filter, all the plastic sealing sleeves and expensive ZF fluid were used during the solenoid replacement. I followed the oil fill procedure using INPA to read the temps. I did read that if you drive for an extended period of time with faulty solenoids the clutches will wear prematurely and looking back on it now I think the trans has never been 100% for the last 2 years since I owned the car so maybe the clutches are somewhat worn. I think I also read somewhere that you can read a value in INPA to see how worn they are, is that correct? How else can the clutches be diagnosed other than disassembly? I have a lift in the garage so if it comes down to it I can at least pull the trans. I wonder how hard it is to change the clutches, I just did a set in a forklift...but I have a feeling the ZF is little more complicated than a forklift with just reverse and forward, lol!

In the meantime I guess I will put a few more miles on the car and try to reinstall inpa in English so I can diagnosis it further
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    There is significantly more work in rebuilding a ZF auto compared to a hydrostatic forklift transmission. PM me with an email address and the model number of your transmission and I may be able to assist with a copy of the trans service manual, which will assist is assessing how much work is involved. If your ZF uses the green transmission fluid (Esso LT71141) it is much cheaper to purchase from your Mobil/Exxon dealer in 20litre drums than to purchase multiple small amounts. When changing the trans fluid, it is important to run the tranny through various gears using the selector to ensure the unit is properly filled and rather than attempting to use INPA to detect transmission temps, I use a non-contact thermometer commonly used with model aero engines to detect the oil pan temperature. I have had a 100% success rate using this method.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    can inpa be used to tell me if im low on tranny fluid or running at too high or low a temp? right now all i have used to tell the temp is the gauge that is in the hidden obd2 menu on a 04 525i?

also this is a lil off topic but is it possible to use inpa to get real time info on things while car is running/driving?