Thread: 330Ci misfires inconsistently, but often.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci 5 speed

330Ci Misfire under hard acceleration

Hey guys,
    I'm new here. Bought my first BMW, a 5 speed 01 330Ci, a month and a half ago. It had a misfire under hard acceleration that I noticed immediately after I took it home so first thing I did was purchase new spark plugs, changed the air filter, and had a oil and filter change done. Doesnt miss all the time, but with even slight acceleration the CEL can go off after 2500 RPM. very seldom at start-up or at an idle. Noticed that the valve in the exhaust was frozen as well so I smacked that flap open to allow the engine to breathe better. Didn't help. Did some research and read that the vacuum systems in these are crazy, so I check for cracks and tears. The CCV had a few cracks and I taped it up until the new CCV (not cold climate, because winters are usually mild in NE Ohio) came in. It was a kit that included all 4 hoses and the CCV itself. Then after an hour long drive smoke started coming out of the exhaust. That smelled like burnt oil. Pulled the dipstick and it was a little low, put a couple quarts in, started it back up and a plume of smoke came out. I tore the manifold off, replaced the gaskets and plugs again, threw the new CCV on, cleaned the DISA, TB, Manifold, and replaced all of the vacuum lines besides the large secondary air pump hose that is a little soft. After I burnt up all the oil in the cylinders and exhaust the smoke stopped and it ran great... Except for that damn misfire and fuel cut on cyl 2 that I had to start with. I switched coils from 2 to 3 and vise versa and the misfire stayed in cylinder 2 after clearing the CEL. The injector for cyl 2 ticks like its in working order. Any suggestions? I'm a little stumped.

TL;DR: Misfire on cyl 2 with fuel cut. New Plugs. Switched coils. Injector seems to work? Been googling for similar problems, but nothing is working for me. I was sure it was from a vacuum leak, but CCV and all lines were replaced by me. Boots fine as well. 187k Miles. Advice or some direction would be greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by e46mobs; 09-28-2017 at 07:42 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A diagnostic scan for BMW specific codes may provide clues to help solve this mystery!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci 5 speed
    Only code before i swapped coils was P1345 (Misfire on cyl 2 and fuel cut). After I swapped coil 2 and 3, took a short drive and I continued to get P1345, but P0505 (Idle Control System) also popped up. Swapped the coils back and now I only get P1345 again. And also if that is your Z4 in your sig MIKYZZ4, she's a beauty!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Thanks, but the beauty in the photo isn't mine, just wishful thinking!

Swap injectors, see if code follows,
    or remove fuel rail and injectors, run fuel injector cleaner through them,
    then replace with all new O-rings.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by e46mobs View Post
    Only code before i swapped coils was P1345 (Misfire on cyl 2 and fuel cut). After I swapped coil 2 and 3, took a short drive and I continued to get P1345, but P0505 (Idle Control System) also popped up. Swapped the coils back and now I only get P1345 again. And also if that is your Z4 in your sig MIKYZZ4, she's a beauty!
    Pull the IAC and clean it, just to cover that base, since you are getting an error for it. I was chasing misfire as well, end up being low compression on cyl 2 and 3. I'm not saying this is your problem, but its worth doing a compression test once you exhausted all suspect.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci 5 speed
    I'm sure you could make that wishful thinking into a reality. Keep saving money. Its an attainable vehicle used for sure. New is a little too much for me at least. Lol
    Swapping injectors was next on my list. I will try that tonight and report back when I can. I am considering buying new or refurbished injectors anyways. Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    I wouldn't buy new or refurb injectors without knowing one or more of my own were bad. Even then, I'd refurb my own injectors before getting another (set or individual). That's my own very frugal take on the situation.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
    I wouldn't buy new or refurb injectors without knowing one or more of my own were bad. Even then, I'd refurb my own injectors before getting another (set or individual). That's my own very frugal take on the situation.
    I completed this task myself last week!
    OP, you can save yourself some cash refurbishing them yourself.
    New upper & lower o-rings + chemicals!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci 5 speed
    Hey guys! So I had a new baby and I've been super with her. Haven't gotten to touch my poor car in so long. I found time today to put in the fuel filter/ fuel pressure regulator, replaced rubber lines, the vacuum line to it and the rusted hose clamps. Well, It runs great!! No SES lights and it runs so smooth. More power too! I'm so glad things are going my way on this car! Thank you guys!