Thread: E36 M3 Porsche Brembo Upgrade - Pad Squeal

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5

E36 M3 Porsche Brembo Upgrade - Pad Squeal

Recently upgraded my M3 brakes to Brembo Porsche calipers with E46 rotors. Even though I installed the brembo shims, the pads are squealing pretty bad its an attention getter coming to a stop.

Im using Hawk HPS pads in both the front and rear. The car is mainly used on the street with some high speed roll racing a few times a year.

Any one have this isssue and find a cure?

Any help would be appricated.

Thanks

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sSj4SA&ampcf=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...i59sSj4SA&cf=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    While that might work on normal set ups, the shims are different for the brembos. The paste is not able to be used.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Have the rotors been fully heat cycled? Like a track day or something? My new rotors were making wonderful noises every time I'd come to a stop on the street, which disappeared after getting them fully heat cycled and bedded on the track.

As for paste/grease, don't use the red glue stuff. Is there any grease at all on the backing plates of the pads in the Brembos? Is there able to be? A little bit of high temp caliper grease or anti-seize might go a long ways.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    revisiting this before I get new pads.

Still squealing...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    They are HPS not HP+? The latter are known to squeal. If you drive for a bit, do some harder stops to clean the rotors, does the squealing stop? Is it only on light braking?

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NY98M3 View Post
    revisiting this before I get new pads.

Still squealing...
    I sympathize with you.
    I have the same Porsche Brembo BBK setup on my E36M3 street/track car.
    Man those things squeal like a school bus, it's embarassing.

It's not the pads, it's the calipers I'm sure.
    I run DTC-60s on stock brake calipers and don't get any squealing.
    It's only with these Porsche calipers that they squeal.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution, but I just wanted to say that I can confirm this issue and its not pad related, its a direct result of the calipers.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    My Brembos squeal on my E46 track car...same on my 911...it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    So, its funny that we are talking about Porsche because I watched a documentary how Porsche owners were complaining about brake squeal and how it was embarrassing on a $100k car....basically, the Porsche engineers have done all they could and nothing could 100% eliminate the problem 100% of the time....

Now, I will say my STOPTECH BBK doesn't squeal, but it used to. I changed to a more street friendly pad and it went away.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Seems to squeal on the rears, not too much the front.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I went through this as well. HPS were the worst, Stoptech pads made it a little better and iirc the OEM Textar were quiet (dust was out of control). Eventually bought the Porsche sticky shims with the Stoptech pads. Made no difference.

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NY98M3 View Post
    Seems to squeal on the rears, not too much the front.
    Yes! Me too! Let's hope someone can figure this out.
    For all those who don't understand, this is not normal track pad squeal. It is straight up school bus/dump truck squeal.
    You can hear it for blocks and its embarassing.
    And I run DTC-60s on many of my cars on the street. Nothing is like the squeal from the Porsche Brembos. Its awful.

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Anyone that has the upgraded E46 M3 rear rotors, were you able to secure the rotor to the hub? I see that the E46 M3 rotors have the hole for the bolt to secure it to the hub, but it does not line up correctly. Meaning the rotor cannot be secured to the hub. Maybe this is the cause of the squeal?

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    The rotor is secured when the wheel bolts are tightened. The retaining bolt is to just keep the rotor in place when taking the wheels off.

Its just inherent in the Porsche caliper setup unfortunately.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah I promise no rotor is going anywhere when the wheel is sandwiching it with 5 lugs at 80+ ft/lb. I've heard Porsches in general are notorious for squeaky brakes. I don't understand it, since it shouldn't be that hard to make quiet brakes using street compounds. The design of the caliper must just allow for too much pad movement.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    M3
    Also, IF the screw WAS the problem it's not. I use the 750IL rear rotor (same size as e46 m3 rear) and the placement screw is tight. You guessed it, still squeels like a pig getting chased by an axe.

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    It's not the rotors OR pads OR calipers that are squealing, it's the combination and you're typically not hearing friction noise but harmonic resonance.

Have you covered the rear of the pads and/or shims (both sides of shims) - all contact points - with copper grease? That would be the first thing I would do. Turn car on, apply brakes multiple times and wipe up any excess before you drive it.

Really, if that doesn't fix it you need to use a different combo. Even changing from plain to drilled or slotted rotors (or vice versa) can be enough to fix the problem.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3 Sedan
    Not sure this is relevant, but putting the Porsche Brembo calipers on my E46 M3 this weekend. I did a lot of reading and folks talking about the rear squeal. There were several posts about reversing the rear calipers so that the bigger cylinder is towards the back of the car. You would need to switch the bleed caps and crossover tube so that the caps are on top of the caliper.

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyboycz View Post
    Not sure this is relevant, but putting the Porsche Brembo calipers on my E46 M3 this weekend. I did a lot of reading and folks talking about the rear squeal. There were several posts about reversing the rear calipers so that the bigger cylinder is towards the back of the car. You would need to switch the bleed caps and crossover tube so that the caps are on top of the caliper.
    Are you going to reverse the calipers?

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    My STOPTECH pads squealed when braking and I switched to a different, more street friendly pad....no squeal.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    M3
    Hate to be the debby downer for this thread but if you don't reverse the calipers your big piston will be leading which is a huge fail if you did not. That being said you've guessed it my calipers are reversed as they should be and they squeel.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3 Sedan
    Hey guys...I installed my calipers this weekend and did reverse the rear calipers so that the leading cylinder is the smaller one. I used G-LOC brake pads GS1's (?); and no squeal at all. I haven't even bedded in the brakes yet.

Brake feel is much better, and brake torque is on par with stock calipers it seems. Definitely can feel the slight rear bias. For track duty, I'll be installing the G16 pads and keeping GS1's in the rear as to introduce more bias towards the front more similar to stock...hopefully

Not sure it made the difference, but I did completely rebuild the calipers using new seals and boots, but kept the old cylinders.

Pics for you all if interested...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    M3
    Awesome, keep us updated if you don't mind. I also did a full rebuild on my calipers too. I like your setup. Same rotors as me too. I had problems with the rears only and pretty much only when I really got them hot. Think mountain style spirited driving. They were so loud though to the point it was not enjoyable. Maybe I'll try a super weak pad for the back too. I will note this, Pads wear so well compared to single piston setup as far as stopping power it's pretty much the same. Thermal capacity is improved as well, Can't dream about overheating mine with ducting.
    Last edited by Mklock; 04-18-2018 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Awesome, keep us updated if you don't mind. I also did a full rebuild on my calipers too. I like your setup. Same rotors as me too. I had problems with the rears only and pretty much only when I really got them hot. Think mountain style spirited driving. They were so loud though to the point it was not enjoyable. Maybe I'll try a super weak pad for the back too. I will note this, Pads wear so well compared to single piston setup as far as stopping power it's pretty much the same. Thermal capacity is improved as well, Can't dream about overheating mine with ducting.
    So I was able to test out the calipers at a track day this past Monday at MSR in Cresson, TX. So figured I'd summarize my experience if you're still interested...

The usage of a street level pad in the rear worked out well for me on the track. The brake bias felt like stock and my performance on certain turns were on par with my stock calipers. I used G-loc R16's in the front with G-loc GS1's in the rear.

Specifically there is a turn (turn 1 rattlesnake entry) where I use heavy trail braking to rotate the car as I set up for a quick left hand turn into 2. I am essentially sliding from turn in until I setup for the left turn. The timing and brake pressure modulation were in line with the stock calipers. This was the one turn I had the most concern about transitioning over to the Porsche calipers. I thought I'd have to re-learn my entry, but I didn't miss a beat.

All in all, this is definitely not a performance upgrade in my opinion, but I didn't have that expectation in the first place. So definitely was not disappointed in the performance. Some benefits are that the brake feel is better, I should have more even wear of the pads, and only experienced pad knock back once all day during a later session...plus they look pretty sweet on the car. Pad knock back on stock calipers was always happening when on track.

By the way...no squealing in the rear at all.

https://www.bleasdellphotography.com/Chin-Track-Days-at-MSR-April-2018/360-M3-Red/i-D5GP3Pk/A
    Last edited by rickyboycz; 05-03-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: url link to pic

My Cars
    97 GTI, 02 Audi A6, 04 Titan
    Bringing an old thread up from the dead.

Did anyone find a solution to this??
    I have reversed the calipers, new seals, new shim pads, tried multiple pads, rounded edges of the pads, and still have the horrible real squeal as soon as I touch the brakes. Car is mostly track use only but it's so bad I've been black flagged for it.