Thread: 1998 M3 - How to tell if an auto to manual swap has been done??

My Cars
    E36 325i

1998 M3 - How to tell if an auto to manual swap has been done??

Good evening,

I recently purchased a 98 E36 M3 "5 speed" w/ 162k - dakar yellow. Now I'm wondering if any of you experts know how to check if it has been converted to a 5 speed or if it is in fact a true manual. It seems as if I have the 5th gear lean (and I actually have trouble going directly from 2nd to 3rd right away - this is probably already a known issue). The plastic around the shift boot area that houses the window switches and so on, seems kind of loose. When I shift into 5th gear, the lever hits the corner plastic (maybe more than normal). The previous owner mentioned he installed a shorter clutch pedal because he had longs legs. I have attached some pics of the "pedal area" - please let me know if this looks normal to you. Also, th clutch grabs very soon. Before I purchased the vehicle I ran a single record autocheck, however, I didn't see it specifying whether it is an auto or manual. Not sure why they wouldn't say that. I attached a pic of what seems like a bolt under the gas pedal?? Is that normal?

maybe I'm looking into it too much, but any clear signs that you can think of to pin point a swap has taken place would be greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bisakm6; 09-27-2017 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Add pics

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    or just use the VIN in realoem.com it will show you immy

http://bmwfans.info/vin/decoder?vin=Ey77677
    VIN EY77677 BMW ///M3 3.2
    Series 3' E36 Body Coupe Engine S52 Region USA Left-hand drive, Transmission: Manual Production date October 1997
    Last edited by shogun; 09-28-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    Unless you run a VIN check, it's almost impossible to visually differentiate an E36 with an automatic transmission that's been converted to manual one. I have an E46 six-speed in my 98 M3 convertible and it looks as if it came out of the factory that way.

Do you have a M3 sedan, coupe or convertible? From the picture you provided it looks like a two door. If the car you bought is a 1998 coupe sold in the North American market then it would not have had automatic transmission, period. 1995 was the only year when automatic transmission equipped E36 m3 coupes were sold in North America.

Also, assuming that you have a coupe... the shift knob should've been the standard leather version, as the luxury package was not offered for the 98 M3.

If you have a sedan or a convertible, try looking under the front end of the car and see if you can see any components (i.e. cooler for the automatic transmission) that have been disconnected or don't seem to be relevant. That might give you a clue as to whether a conversion has been done.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bisakm6 View Post
    Good evening,

I recently purchased a 98 E36 M3 "5 speed" w/ 162k - dakar yellow. Now I'm wondering if any of you experts know how to check if it has been converted to a 5 speed or if it is in fact a true manual. It seems as if I have the 5th gear lean (and I actually have trouble going directly from 2nd to 3rd right away - this is probably already a known issue). The plastic around the shift boot area that houses the window switches and so on, seems kind of loose. When I shift into 5th gear, the lever hits the corner plastic (maybe more than normal). The previous owner mentioned he installed a shorter clutch pedal because he had longs legs. I have attached some pics of the "pedal area" - please let me know if this looks normal to you. Also, th clutch grabs very soon. Before I purchased the vehicle I ran a single record autocheck, however, I didn't see it specifying whether it is an auto or manual. Not sure why they wouldn't say that. I attached a pic of what seems like a bolt under the gas pedal?? Is that normal?

maybe I'm looking into it too much, but any clear signs that you can think of to pin point a swap has taken place would be greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the pics...
    Last edited by Baby ///M3; 09-28-2017 at 01:54 AM.
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    N/A
    E36s have clutch take up close to the ground so I wouldn't worry there. Why are you concerned with if it had been swapped? There shouldn't be any functional differences. Bolt under the gas pedal is just a pedal stop. All of them have it.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Check the VIN. There could be any number of reasons for the plastic around the shifter having been messed with, or for the shifter itself being wonky. People put in short shift kits and whatnot all the time.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1997 328is
    There should be a build sheet under the rear seat.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    the question is already answered:
    VIN EY77677 BMW ///M3 3.2, Series 3' E36, Body Coupe, Engine S52, Region USA, Left-hand drive, Transmission: Manual, Production date October 1997
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hli View Post
    E36s have clutch take up close to the ground
    No they do not. Proper hydraulics and fully replaced mechanical side net you upper to middle. Off the floor is 100% something wrong.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    No they do not. Proper hydraulics and fully replaced mechanical side net you upper to middle. Off the floor is 100% something wrong.
    Interesting, I've driven probably 6 or 7 different E36s with roughly the same engagement point all pretty close to the floor. Granted they were all over 125k.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    M3 clutches do catch or engage close to floor. My 328i engages much higher
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    This is correct.

Both my M3s had the friction point towards the upper end of travel with fresh everything.

The only time the clutch engaged close to the floor was when the pressure plate bolts had backed off about a mm each I.e. something was wrong.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Mine too. Engagement point is right about in the middle, maybe slightly above, on mine.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    That's not true. My clutch has always been right off the clutch stop since new. And still is with the E46 6speed.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    thats odd then..
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    That's not true. My clutch has always been right off the clutch stop since new. And still is with the E46 6speed.
    It's not right off the clutch stop. I'm sorry but that is not an accurate description of a proper working clutch system. Right off the floor you'd be dealing with the clutch still being engaged as you tried to shift.

My Cars
    RWD
    BMWs have fairly stiff and high pedal travel/release points. Esp. compared to Asian cars.

Right off the floor, something is definitely wrong 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    What do you mean since new? You had a E46 6speed in your e36 since new?

My Cars
    E36
    RR has owned his '95 since new...and has a recent 6spd swap.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    N/A
    When people say "off the floor" here do they literally mean right off the floor? When I said "close" I meant I had about 1-1.5" of travel off the ground before it reached the engagement point.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Mine has engaged in the first 1/3 of travel off the floor since I can remember.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    99 M3

1998 M3 - How to tell if an auto to manual swap has been done??

Quote Originally Posted by hli View Post
    Interesting, I've driven probably 6 or 7 different E36s with roughly the same engagement point all pretty close to the floor. Granted they were all over 125k.
    What I’ve been told is that as the clutch is used the release fingers start going flat - at 164 K I still had disk material remaining however the release was very close to the floor. I had a Big Boy clutch stop that I was slowly adjusting towards the floor, eventually had to remove it and revert to Factory floor contact button.
    I did not replace with fresh factory parts so I cannot speak to them as restoring the engagement/release point. I installed a Rogue LWT FL, M5 spring center disk and aftermarket M3(?) pressure plate. I’m not sure if the Rogue Eng. unit replicated factory feel.
    With ~100K on that clutch the release point in rapidly creeping towards the floor again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-18-2017 at 09:54 AM.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Everybody GTFO with your "it feels about yay much off the floor" clutch engagement point estimates.
    Give me measured data with a calibrated scale, I don't trust your ankle muscles and worn-out sneakers for measurement devices.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Couldn't possible do that. When I installed the clutch stop, I adjusted it so that the clutch starts biting just off the stop. By just off I mean an 1/8". In practice, its imperceptible, but the clutch doesn't drag, so I call it good.

oh, and it didn't really change after I installed the 6 speed and 325 slave.
    No matter where you go, there you are...