Thread: 2011 F10 535xi Wastegate Actuator

My Cars
    1995 M3

2011 F10 535i Wastegate Actuator

Hey guys,

Asking for a co-worker. She is experiencing the drivetrain malfunction when accelerating. She took it to the dealer who recommended replacing the turbo wastegate actuator and crank case vent hose. The car drives fine when accelerating gently, however under WOT, alert comes on. Also when driving 50-60mph and then accelerating, alert comes on. I looked at the hidden menu and the error codes listed are nowhere to be found on the net. Research suggests that it could be other things as well, but i figured i'd start with what the dealer diagnosed.

Has anyone experienced this issue and has anyone replaced their wastegate actuator and CCV hose?

I looked at a parts diagram on realoem and believe I've identified the WG actuator, but feel like i need reassurance from the forum. ECS says its above the exhaust manifold below the lip of the engine cover.

Any help would be greatly accepted.
    Last edited by JKlivin; 09-26-2017 at 12:06 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    The wastegate actuator is not sold seperate from the complete turbo charger assembly.

What you/the dealer probably mean is the EPDW or Pressure Converter, and if they are calling it the incorrect name I'd recommend pulling the vehicle from their service department and seeking out a competent technician to carry out needed repairs.

The EPDW's do fail, although not particularly often on N55 engines.

I've never seen a N55 CCV hose actually fail, its much more likely the "tech" broke it trying to remove it because he lacks a delicate touch or patience to carefully remove it. Removing it would be required to reach the EPDW to carry out testing.
    Last edited by Stück; 09-26-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    The wastegate actuator is not sold seperate from the complete turbo charger assembly.

What you/the dealer probably mean is the EPDW or Pressure Converter.
    Thank you for clarifying. Here's the quote from BMW she sent me.

Check out that oil pan gasket, crazy expensive! Is the EPDW particularly hard to replace?

Number 2 on diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4472

Part at ECS (copy and paste link, don't click): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/pneumatic-wastegate-actuator/11747626351/

Any ideas on the drivetrain malfunction and if they are related to the above part?
    Last edited by JKlivin; 09-27-2017 at 11:33 AM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    It takes about an hour to change the EPDW if that is what they mean, but again... I'm not sure if they are refering to it by the real name... the actual waste gate actuator is not sold separate from the turbocharger from BMW.

Valve cover and oil filter housings look reasonable for a dealer, as does A/C condensor.

Your 535 is a Xi, all wheel drive. You have a ton of stuff in the way to R&R. Warranty time is 111 FRU (roughly 16.5 hours flat rate) That estimate seems a little on the highside, I stress a little... I'm thinking about $500 rich assuming they are billing around $200/hr.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    BMW Series 3
    Actually, the wastegate actuator is sold seperate from the complete turbo charger assembly. And you can save a lot of money.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by JKlivin View Post
    Hey guys,

Asking for a co-worker. She is experiencing the drivetrain malfunction when accelerating. She took it to the dealer who recommended replacing the turbo wastegate actuator and crank case vent hose. The car drives fine when accelerating gently, however under WOT, alert comes on. Also when driving 50-60mph and then accelerating, alert comes on. I looked at the hidden menu and the error codes listed are nowhere to be found on the net. Research suggests that it could be other things as well, but i figured i'd start with what the dealer diagnosed.

Has anyone experienced this issue and has anyone replaced their wastegate actuator and CCV hose?

I looked at a parts diagram on realoem and believe I've identified the WG actuator, but feel like i need reassurance from the forum. ECS says its above the exhaust manifold below the lip of the engine cover.

I had the same issue, but sporadically. It always happened under load and I would be able to reset it by pulling over, shutting down and the restarting the engine. It would run fine for a while, but it got harder to reset the light as time passed with each occurrence until it finally would not reset. I took it in to the dealership to have it diagnosed and they could only at best “guess” that it was the plugs and coils. I had my non-dealer mechanic replace the entire set up for about half the price of the dealer and it took care of the problem.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves".
    Ghengis Khan, 1162-1227AD

My Cars
    535i
    Quote Originally Posted by JKlivin View Post
    Hey guys,

Was this issue ever fixed? what did you endup changing?