Thread: F30 VIDEO: Problem - Stalling & switching to Neutral

My Cars
    2013 328i F30

F30 VIDEO: Problem - Stalling & switching to Neutral

2013 328i - I'm attaching a link to a video of what's happening. My car started doing this recently. Video example: As I approach a red light and I brake to a lower speed, the car begins to putter and it stalls out.

This is an automatic transmission and this happens with no touching of any gears. It stalls out, automatically flips itself into neutral, and puts this alert on the screen - "Transmission not in drive"
    I have to restart the engine and put it back into drive. Thoughts?

I caught it on video when it did it twice in a row. Link to video (car was very dirty; I know. It was a Hectic week dealing with hurricane Irma threats.)
    https://youtu.be/C2l5hNCc2iY
    Last edited by kristenbrown1; 09-26-2017 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    I've never seen/heard of that issue but I will say that when you put the car into drive the little green LED on the shifter is NOT normal to blink like that.
    You could have a transmission problem or maybe the car puts itself into neutral due to the stalling issue. You definately need your codes read for a place to start. This seems like a safety issue and I wouldn't monkey around with aftermarket shops for this issue.
    If I had to venture a wild guess I'd maybe start looking at the fuel system maybe to resolve the stalling but I will say that that shifter blink is weird
    Last edited by SlackTube; 09-27-2017 at 09:20 PM.

My Cars
    2013 328i F30
    Thank you. I agree - I'm under a Certified Pre-Owned warranty right now, but am working on getting a copy so I understand if a transmission issue will be covered or not PRIOR to bringing this issue to the attention of BMW. This is my 3rd BMW. Having been out of warranty in the past, I know how insane repairs can become cost-wise if it's not covered by my warranty. This car only has 46,000 miles!
    And it's funny you mention the blinking on the shifter because I only noticed it in the video. Not in person.
    I'm going to see if it blinks the next time this occurs, as I've been previously focused on getting a video of the issue, so I may have just not noticed it. Or it's an appearance of blinking created by the video format itself.
    Thanks for this response and I'm hoping to get more replies while I wait for a copy of my warranty in the mail.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    There's not much that's transmission related that's NOT covered.
    I still lean towards the stalling issue is the cause and the trans going to neutral is a by product but it's just a guess.
    I would say you should get it looked at, and approve the diagnosis fee up front and they will tell you if it's covered or not. Then if it's not you can make a decision from there but atleast you'll know what the issue is. It could be a billion different things so you need proper diagnosis instead of speculating potential problems. Also you don't need to wait for the information to come in the mail, you can find the manual online.
    heres just one of the pamphlets I found in like 5 seconds
    http://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/B...NotCovered.pdf

keep us posted and good luck

My Cars
    2001 525it
    How can you see if it's covered if you don't know what's wrong, just take it in and get it dx. Cpo covers a lot except phones stereos trim coolant hoses wear and tear like bushings. The wiring in the shifter is probably broken

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    has this issue been resolved, what was the fix?
    2002 525i

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328I
    I am having this issue and from about 3 hours of research the people i see that have had this fixed replaced the 023717/CONTROL UNIT. The car seems to be having issues talking to its self. My car is currently giving me a code for the Central Gateway Module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNebnchCUVo