Thread: I dipped my whole car

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive

I dipped my whole car

I have plans to paint my M in probably two years. I have some major vacations before that so its not in the budget right now. So since my car has failing clear coat all over, a different color roof, rash on all 4 corners, and a darker blue rear passenger fender, I decided to do a temp dip so my car is all one color till I can paint it properly. It took a lot of taping and prep work but I managed to get this done in two days about 6hrs each day. Would be quicker if I didn't have a hard top. here are some pictures.

Before::
    IMG_1467.jpgIMG_1270.JPG

All masked off
    IMG_1983.jpg

Base Coat of Gunmetal Grey
    IMG_1989.jpg

First coat of Blue Quartz
    IMG_1996.jpg

only 5 pics per post... see post #2

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Here is the finished product
    IMG_2002.jpgIMG_1999.jpgIMG_2007.JPG

I am pretty happy with the result. It looks really good from 5-10' away. Its a matte finish. The garage I used was a little dusty and it was 90f out so it dried a little quicker than I wanted so its not as smooth as it could be. But considering the time and cost of the project it looks great. Its nice to have the car all one color and have all the major blemishes covered up.

Edit* More finished photos on Post #17
    Last edited by Venom13132; 10-18-2017 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    I was prepared not to like it, but you did a really nice job and it looks good. I should probably do the same to mine to cover all the road rash until I get around to a full repaint.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    It does look much better than I expected. I just wonder if it will last 2 years. Do you think if it gets bumped and some of the "dip" comes off you will be able to spot treat it? It does make the lines of the car pop.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    00 M_Coupe 10 335i
    Nice work! As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Looks surprisingly nice - top job!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobkid View Post
    I was prepared not to like it, but you did a really nice job and it looks good. I should probably do the same to mine to cover all the road rash until I get around to a full repaint.
    that's what I figured. My before pictures don't really show how bad it looked before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    It does look much better than I expected. I just wonder if it will last 2 years. Do you think if it gets bumped and some of the "dip" comes off you will be able to spot treat it? It does make the lines of the car pop.
    that is a concern for sure. From what I've seen it should hold up. worst case I can peel any damaged area and respray it at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaRob View Post
    Nice work! As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Looks surprisingly nice - top job!
    Thanks for the positive comments. It is definitely just a temporary solution. I have often though about painting my car in a Satin/Matte finish with the Estoril Blue. We will see how I feel about it after some time passes.

All said and done I spent about $250 on this project. I got a full dip your car kit from dipyourcar.com which I got 25% off. My buddy had the dip sprayer system already so I used that. I spent about $60 at harbor freight on tape, masking paper, a metal paint stir, and some other misc items like respirator and gloves. 110% want to wear a mask when spraying.

My Cars
    z3
    Looks decent, maybe more "baby blue" than I'd want but I'm sure the photos don't do it justice either...

My concern with plastidipping a car you intend on painting is removing all the dip after you are done. It rarely peels off as nicely as it does on the youtube videos...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I normally don't like dipped cars, especially dipped matte-black street cars or trucks. But your color is in the realm of the original, and now the hardtop matches the rest of the car. Appropriate color choice! Well done! It is a big improvement over the original, and I bet looks even better IRL.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Is it possible the blemish on the before picture bothered you too much? That happens to me with many things including cars. I thought your before picture looked pretty good.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post
    I normally don't like dipped cars, especially dipped matte-black street cars or trucks. But your color is in the realm of the original, and now the hardtop matches the rest of the car. Appropriate color choice! Well done! It is a big improvement over the original, and I bet looks even better IRL.
    Yeah, I wouldn't do this as a permanent thing. It is a fun way to change the color of a car on the cheap. Vinyl wrapping costs about the same as a paint job. This cost about $250 and 12hrs of my life. It makes me feel better to have all the damage hidden and have the car all one color! I do like the matte blue. Its as close to factory color as I could find and it shines a lot when the sun hits it.

IMG_1995.jpg
    Here you can really see it shine with the full sun hitting the back of it with the garage door open. I am going to go pick up the car tomorrow. I will get some outside photos then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    Is it possible the blemish on the before picture bothered you too much? That happens to me with many things including cars. I thought your before picture looked pretty good.
    Its hard to see in photos for some reason but the pass rear fender in person was noticeably a different shade of blue. The obvious hard top was silver. The hood looked like crap with huge areas of failed clear coat. Then each corner of the front and rear bumpers had major rash where the paint was completely gone and scratched into the plastic. I am not very good at taking "before" pictures otherwise I could have highlighted the bad areas more effectively. The before pictures really don't do justice on how bad the paint/body was.

My Cars
    BMW
    I can't knock it. Looks great for a tempt in setup before the real paint job!

-James

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't do this as a permanent thing. It is a fun way to change the color of a car on the cheap. Vinyl wrapping costs about the same as a paint job. This cost about $250 and 12hrs of my life. It makes me feel better to have all the damage hidden and have the car all one color! I do like the matte blue. Its as close to factory color as I could find and it shines a lot when the sun hits it.

IMG_1995.jpg
    Here you can really see it shine with the full sun hitting the back of it with the garage door open. I am going to go pick up the car tomorrow. I will get some outside photos then.

Its hard to see in photos for some reason but the pass rear fender in person was noticeably a different shade of blue. The obvious hard top was silver. The hood looked like crap with huge areas of failed clear coat. Then each corner of the front and rear bumpers had major rash where the paint was completely gone and scratched into the plastic. I am not very good at taking "before" pictures otherwise I could have highlighted the bad areas more effectively. The before pictures really don't do justice on how bad the paint/body was.
    I understand. Pics can be deceiving. I just figured since I can see all the blemishes on my car that nobody else sees on my car that others might be suffering from my version of car perfectionism as well. I admire you taking up such a large task. Well done!

My Cars
    z3
    Would love to see some pictures out under the sun! The garage lighting makes it look like a pastel baby blue but when it hangs it butt out of the garage its a gorgeous, deep metallic blue

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Would love to see some pictures out under the sun! The garage lighting makes it look like a pastel baby blue but when it hangs it butt out of the garage its a gorgeous, deep metallic blue
    I had to wait for someone to drive me down to pick the car up from my buddies garage. Picking it up tonight after the evening rush dies down. So I will get some better photos!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Well I would have got some nice out door photos yesterday but my new Odyssey battery was completely dead yesterday when I went to get the car and I spent my evening getting the car started so I would no longer be stranded at my buddies garage.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I FINALLY got a new drivers side mirror, got it sprayed and put onto the car. I am still missing a drivers side door handle trim. Parts.com sent me two left sides through some fluke. (was in the correct packaging with the correct part # but the incorrect part). Any way here are some quick parking lot photos at work today.

IMG_2146.jpgIMG_2147.jpgIMG_2148.jpg

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    Looks fantastic!!!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Thanks potxoli!

All said and done it took me about 14hrs and cost about $250. Would have cost more if I didn't have the spray gun. If I were to do it again going blue quartz onto an already blue car I would not have got the kit that came with the grey base. When I sprayed my mirror and side grill on their own I did not use the base coat and you can not tell a difference. I would probably do a little better masking job but the over spray comes off pretty easily with a microfiber towel. I ended up peeling off the dip from the rain channels on the top. When the top was silver I did not like the black. When they were covered in the plasti-dip you could still tell they were there and it made it look like I painted over something. I think it looks better black, just a little contrast on the roof.
    I also did a little touch up on some spots that didn't get full coverage and you cant tell I sprayed over them at a later date.

I am going to Indianapolis Cars and Coffee this Saturday with my buddy and his 06 Z4 M Coupe so I will get some more photos then. It is supposed to be another clear sunny day. Hopefully my drivers door trim piece will come in by then. I need to order a NeverDone front grill also since I don't have one currently.
    Last edited by Venom13132; 10-18-2017 at 12:55 PM.