Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well another E38 aftermarket radio idea

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by adwebinc View Post
    Ah... I read through your entire DIY thread. Very nice work and thank you for posting. I see the unit you installed does NOT have the CD/DVD player which is awesome. That was the point of my rant. You can have much better fitment if you don’t have to deal with that bulk in the back of the unit.

My confusion was the original link in this thread drops into a product that does have the CD/DVD player, so I was concerned about whether or not that would fit. I think I like the looks of the wide screen without the buttons any way.

So Franco - this is the one you used right - https://www.seicane.com/touchscreen-...ontrol-s089993

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    yes that's the one I sell you my unit if you want , I am thinking real hard on selling my IL.

Quote Originally Posted by AHolland View Post
    My concerns were with how well it fit in the original hole and what modifications is any had to be done that way. My car does not have any navigation system and I would love to find an aftermarket unit that has android guts where I can put in some navigation of some kind. Was there any trimming or anything like that which was needed? I wonder if we would be better off to get a group buy thing going or ask for a discount from the manufacturer for Bimmer Forum people that meantioned a secret code like E38 or something. Has anyone talked to the distributor about something like this? sounds like there are more than just a few of us that might like to go this way.
    I sell you my unit and it comes with the frame so all you had to do is use my set up.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    yes that's the one I sell you my unit if you want , I am thinking real hard on selling my IL.
    What?? After all you've done? You're thinking of selling your iL again?
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    What?? After all you've done? You're thinking of selling your iL again?
    lol this my 3rd IL and there is nothing else to do to the car besides I never drive it it only had 122xxx am ready to move on to the 750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    lol this my 3rd IL and there is nothing else to do to the car besides I never drive it it only had 122xxx am ready to move on to the 750
    Well, I can understand that and yours is such a fine example, you shouldn't have any issues selling.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    ok here is another one that fits just needs modification of the harness
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-HD-2-Din-T....c100290.m3507
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    AvinUSA just released a Android e38 head unit. Direct fit I believe.

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...on-system.html
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    AvinUSA just released a Android e38 head unit. Direct fit I believe.

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...on-system.html
    Still coming soon. I'll believe it when it's actually available.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    ok here is another one that fits just needs modification of the harness
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-HD-2-Din-T....c100290.m3507
    I went to the link but I doesn't say anything, did someone have a thread about it franco90?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport, 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Still coming soon. I'll believe it when it's actually available.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk
    evidently now shipping on 11/26? We'll see. All looks good - I just hope it starts shipping for real this time.
    Aaron

Current
    '13 528i xDrive M-Sport
    '00 Audi 6 4.2 Sport - 6 sp conversion - 155k
    '12 Audi Q5
    '08 Silverado Duramax LTZ

Past

'10 - 128i Convertibel - sold
    '01 740i Sport - sold 155k
    '95 M3 Coupe
    '95 M Roadster
    '07 328i - sport, convenience - sold 176k
    '95 S6 - raced and sold
    '00 528iT - sport - sold
    '95 993 C2-sport - sold
    '06 M3 Vert - sold
    '10 TDi Jetta Cup Edition - totalled
    '02 996 Cab - sold

My Cars
    328Xi, 740iL, 330i
    it all PLUG and PLAY
    1.remove your old radio I guess since you have a 95 you have a tape deck
    2. remove the MIDS
    3. unplug Cd changer
    4. all you have to do know is connect the OEM harness the after market harness and the plug into the radio.
    5. plug in FM antenna
    6. run and plug up gps antenna
    7. put all car all back together and you done

https://www.seicane.com/1994-2001-bm...de-s75e53#tab3
    Where and how did you tie into the factorty gps and fm antenna? I'm having trouble locating . I did get this unit but I ditched the CD, Amp, GPS , and all the speaks. the harness's that were sent don't fully apply to my application. Thanks for your post on this.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by TPQ View Post
    Where and how did you tie into the factorty gps and fm antenna? I'm having trouble locating . I did get this unit but I ditched the CD, Amp, GPS , and all the speaks. the harness's that were sent don't fully apply to my application. Thanks for your post on this.

what unit did you get also antenna and gps are in trunk of car
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    328Xi, 740iL, 330i
    what unit did you get also antenna and gps are in trunk of car
    Seicane 8.8 that you did this post on. Honestly your post on it made me go that route. cool unit, I'm stumbling some on my end. I really appreciate all your work you put into this for guys like me. Thank you. Trying to "dumb down" the 2 long and 2 short harnesses that were sent with the head unit has been a little troublesome. One of the tags on a short and long harness has a ...01 the other pair ...00 I'm assuming mine is a 2001 so, use 01 but a e38 not e39 so doesn't really matter....lol and then all that I really need out of it is constant 12v, acc, ground, illum, remote turn on, parking brake, GPS antenna, FM antenna, RCAs. On the drivers side C pillar is a box with brown and black connectors that receive my aftermarket FM antenna lead. is that it? did you use the supplied GPS antenna wire and cut off the end and tie it to the stock GPS lead in the trunk?

My Cars
    BMW X5
    Thanks for this post.
    Last edited by lisaliyan; 11-06-2017 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Seicane 8.8 that you did this post on. Honestly your post on it made me go that route. cool unit, I'm stumbling some on my end. I really appreciate all your work you put into this for guys like me. Thank you. Trying to "dumb down" the 2 long and 2 short harnesses that were sent with the head unit has been a little troublesome. One of the tags on a short and long harness has a ...01 the other pair ...00 I'm assuming mine is a 2001 so, use 01 but a e38 not e39 so doesn't really matter....lol and then all that I really need out of it is constant 12v, acc, ground, illum, remote turn on, parking brake, GPS antenna, FM antenna, RCAs. On the drivers side C pillar is a box with brown and black connectors that receive my aftermarket FM antenna lead. is that it? did you use the supplied GPS antenna wire and cut off the end and tie it to the stock GPS lead in the trunk?
    I ran the OEM antenna that they send with the UNIT. it was easier that way
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    328Xi, 740iL, 330i
    I ran the OEM antenna that they send with the UNIT. it was easier that way
    did you mount it externally or under a piece of glass. Its not a big magnetic block, but not stuck to the outside would be cool if it worked.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    did you mount it externally or under a piece of glass. Its not a big magnetic block, but not stuck to the outside would be cool if it worked.
    I️ts the back glass but if I u don’t want that then mount it on rear speaker shelf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    How did I miss all this??? Great threads, thanks Franco - revising my xmas list.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady in Texas View Post
    How did I miss all this??? Great threads, thanks Franco - revising my xmas list.
    lol
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    Was this question ever answered? I would love to know how they overcame this issue, as it seems that nobody else has as of yet. Been looking at an android upgrade for months now, but I actually DO use CDs/DVDs lol

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    The unit itself seems to have changed as the piece that they installed doesn't look to be available anymore in that style. I'm looking for an Android unit now as well and I DON'T need CD's.

But I want to go with all aftermarket amps/processors and run all new wiring for the audio. I'm still looking and digging everywhere to find out if there are any pitfalls with removing the OEM head unit and all the crap in the back (DVD/CD/NAV/whatever). I'm hoping to gut everything and that nothing else on the car is compromised. I don't need any readouts of temp etc.
    Tom
    Garage - 2000 750iL -- 2007 Z4M -- 2012 35d X5 mod'ed -- E30 M3 red valve cover -- tools -- misc BMW junk

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Silveriris - Contact Seicane to ask - https://www.seicane.com/

Tominizer - Keep in mind that all the chinese units have low/generic quality internal electonics/IC's/DAC's, by adding high quality car audio products like processors, amplifiers, speakers/subwoofer(s) they'll all not 'perform/play' to what they're capable of due to that 'low' quality audio signal they output - adding a processor won't suddenly 'increase sound quality' - one of the fundamentals of car audio is to get as best a source/head unit/signal as possible! If you removed the OEM modules, then you do lose some OEM features. I'm more familiar with the E39, so perhaps have a search here to see if there's any more aspects in E38's which could be lost when the OEM modules are removed. I don't think there's anything 'showstopping' so you should be able to continue with evaluating what you'd like for your audio upgrade requirements and shortlist products to best deliver that. The E38 is very similar to the E39 in terms of the car's design, so the tried and tested route of;

Head unit, 5 channel amplfier, 2 way components in the front doors, 2 way co-axials on the rear shelf, single or dual 8/10/12 inch subwoofer(s) in a small sealed enclosure to 'play' through the ski hatch will provide an excellent sounding and performing upgrade when all installed properly and utilizing upgraded front door baffles and correct sealing of the sub enclosure around the rear seat bulkhead area. There's perhaps some 'variance' to the above but here's an overview of the same for an E39 that a forum member contacted me about some years back and wanted to do a DIY - https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/64113...upgrade-final/. Substitute him keeping the OEM modules for you taking them all out and putting in a premium brand head unit (the new Alpine iLX-W650 looks fantastic at around $300) if you do decide to DIY, you can see the overall plan of the audio build. Here's the same system design fundamentals but done to a 'show' level - https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/43926...t-saloonsedan/

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverIris View Post
    Was this question ever answered? I would love to know how they overcame this issue, as it seems that nobody else has as of yet. Been looking at an android upgrade for months now, but I actually DO use CDs/DVDs lol

I sell you my unit it works
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    @ Dennis. Thanks for that reply and the links. I've been involved in car audio dabbling for decades and use to do some judging at competitions way way back in my younger days. Although have to say my experience with the head unit replacement stuff from China is absolutely ZERO. So that's good to know. Ideally I'd like to have a large screen (cause I'm old and my eyes are not what they use to be) to use as a controller only. That would be nice to have and yet not necessary. Biggest thing that is must have is to be able to stream music or connect my phone or drive up and be able to play music. Radio would be nice too. Also aftermarket amps, processor for tuning and definitely new speakers (which I already have). If I could get the stock deck to work and give me audio signal into a processor, I think I'd be good with that. I don't need anything fancy in the dash really at the end of the day. Anyways, I'm still drafting it all up and the real only unknown right now is the head unit portion. Just not sure what to do there just yet......
    Tom
    Garage - 2000 750iL -- 2007 Z4M -- 2012 35d X5 mod'ed -- E30 M3 red valve cover -- tools -- misc BMW junk

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Tominizer

Just replied to your RCA conversion thread

I've mentioned some aspects you'll be familiar with after reading what you've done previously !

To keep the OEM setup, I've given you pointers on how to do that along with the downsides of this route as well. If you have more questions, I'll help as best I can !

Cheers, Dennis!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12