Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Cars
    88 325iC,'11ML350,'84RX7
    I have had a few M62s, (no 62tus), and the first thing I do when I bring them home is replace the timing chain tensioner. They sound HORRIBLE on the first startup, but I do think they preserve the life of those timing chain guides! I have not yet had to tear into one of them, and they all are silent when running. I think this part gets overlooked. In each case, the spring in the old tensioner was weak and tired. TIP: leave the new one compressed, and install it that way! Otherwise, a fairly simple procedure becomes a nightmare!

My Cars
    1996 750iL and 2001 X5
    You are so right! It screwed up my timing when I changed one of those. Nathan's BMW Workshop has a good video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr-5...Lj0vW&index=61

Quote Originally Posted by goinstrong View Post
    I have had a few M62s, (no 62tus), and the first thing I do when I bring them home is replace the timing chain tensioner. They sound HORRIBLE on the first startup, but I do think they preserve the life of those timing chain guides! I have not yet had to tear into one of them, and they all are silent when running. I think this part gets overlooked. In each case, the spring in the old tensioner was weak and tired. TIP: leave the new one compressed, and install it that way! Otherwise, a fairly simple procedure becomes a nightmare!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8 R, 2000 X5S
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokolya87 View Post
    Get yourself one of those Bluedriver OBD scanners that connect to your smartphone. It is important to know what code the engine shows you.

A few questions, so I can better understand the condition of your X5: year, milage, engine size? Was the chain guides changed and when if yes?
    2000, 151k, 4.4. We are the 7th owners, so no clue abut the guides, the last owners said they changed radiator and cooling system etc, but apparently didn't want to do some other typically higher mileage maintenance.

Here is my running thread
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...41-The-Journey

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8 R, 2000 X5S
    was that just a screen grab of the brand or did you switch to 5w-40. Everything I can see says 5w-30 is recommended.

I guess I am wondering whether it was the brand or because you are in the southwest US and the high heat is why you needed the thicker oil.
    Last edited by justwant2camp; 03-17-2020 at 02:04 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    i have a 2003 X5 with the M62 and it scares me it's at 170,000 miles and the guides from what i know have never been done im the 2ed owner and the trans is getting rebuilt cause thats the reason i bought it cause it had a bad trans. im more worried about the condition of the engine rather then the trans cause i have a guy that can do it. the engine runs good with no noises suprisingly i dont hear the vanos or anything it's scary because I don't hear anything I know usually you would hear the vanos but I don't hear anything it had old victor reinz valve cover gaskets and the plugs looked like they were done but not what plug I wanted to see it was a cheap plug I don't remember the name but I put ngks back into it and did the valve cover gaskets. so the engine had been serviced by the 1st owner im just going to run it until the engine starts making the noises of the guides shattering.

My Cars
    1996 750iL and 2001 X5
    265000 miles (426500 km) on the odometer and still running strong!
    However, my X5 started to drain the battery when sitting for a few days. Couldn't understand why. First, I thought the battery is 3 years old and started to give. Checked with a tester. No, 98% state of health, 100% state of charge after putting a battery maintainer over night. The very next day it just won't start. Starter solenoid clicks, but the starter motor won't turn over. Jumped with another car. So I started to suspect the starter. I didn't changed it when we were doing engine overhaul a few years back, so I figured it must be it. Ordered a new starter, put it in and....nothing. Same story, solenoid clicks, no crank.

IMG_7673.jpg

So back to searching the forums and what a simple solution it was! Somebody posted on xoutpost, that positive terminal under the hood gets slightly corroded and it prevents the high amperage from flowing thru it in order to start the car. Took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly and that was it! Started right up! I don't feel bad for changing a starter for nothing. It's not IF, but WHEN it will stop working, so it feels good to have a new one anyway. Hopefully, it will help somebody to avoid unnecessary and costly battery and starter replacement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123