Thread: Voltage Gauge stoped working

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe

Voltage Gauge stoped working

Aloha!

Jumped in my 2000 M Coupe today an the needle on the voltage gauge doesn't move. Checked the alternator and it's charging. Battery is also good. all the other gauges are working.

Has anyone else have this happen? How did you fix it? New Gauge? Does anyone know the best way to diagnose to make sure it is the gauge?

Thank you!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Do the heated seats work?

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Yes Randy, what would that have to do with the voltage gauge?

Thanks Jeff

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Same fuse, same wiring to within inches of the gauge and switches, if the seat heaters still work, then it's likely the gauge. Thump it with a knuckle and see if it moves.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    If you remove the passenger's dash under panel, you can pull the side of the center console back a little, and slip your hand in between it and the tunnel. The voltmeter is held in place by a plastic ring threaded around it, and, with patience and pain, you should be able to reach in and unscrew it around the body of the gauge, which will then just pop out the front of the console. You can shine a pen light in the OBDII port hole and peak in through it for some visual guidance. If your glove box sags, now's the time to fix that too.
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 09-26-2017 at 06:15 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Same fuse, same wiring to within inches of the gauge and switches, if the seat heaters still work, then it's likely the gauge. Thump it with a knuckle and see if it moves.
    Thumped it a few times ... nothing.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    If you remove the passenger's dash under panel, you can pull the side of the center console back a little, and slip your hand in between it and the tunnel. The voltmeter is held in place by a plastic ring threaded around it, and, with patience and pain, you should be able to reach in and unscrew it around the body of the gauge, which will then just pop out the front of the console. You can shine a pen light in the OBDII port hole and peak in through it for some visual guidance. If your glove box sags, now's the time to fix that too.

Thanks this was was going to be my next search, how to remove gauge. With my fat paws I'm not looking forward to this. I'll have to enlist my wife's tiny hands For this one.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Thanks this was was going to be my next search, how to remove gauge. With my fat paws I'm not looking forward to this. I'll have to enlist my wife's tiny hands For this one.
    It's really not that bad at all. Swap a console, and you'll consider gauge and switch removal the easiest part. For reference, the large round white thingys are the gauge holders that you'll be unscrewing.

20160505_174822.jpg20160505_174833.jpg20160505_192710.jpg20160506_163048.jpg20160506_202338.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Fortunately, replacement BMW / VDO voltmeters are still reasonably priced ($73.06):

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/62132695215/

Clocks, on the other hand, are somewhat pricey these days ($272.73):

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...k/62132491474/

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    We have only one BMW dealership here on the island and they want more than double what the online retailers are asking.
    Why am I not surprised. Time to put a order together.

CB750 nice Journal!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Before spending the money - get the gauge disconnected, and apply known voltage to it and see it if works.

My Cars
    2000 MCoupe
    If you remove the passenger's dash under panel, you can pull the side of the center console back a little, and slip your hand in between it and the tunnel. The voltmeter is held in place by a plastic ring threaded around it, and, with patience and pain, you should be able to reach in and unscrew it around the body of the gauge, which will then just pop out the front of the console. You can shine a pen light in the OBDII port hole and peak in through it for some visual guidance.

Excellent info, thanks for sharing. Jay

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Depending on the strength of those tiny hands__women can surprise you sometimes; bring up the subject of one of your old girlfriends if she can't undo it, and she may snap the plastic!

Perhaps a safer method, would be for you to push inward on the chrome bezel, compressing the rubber seal, making it easier as she attempts to unscrew it. From the backside, she'll be turning it counter-clockwise.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    I'm a lucky man she enjoys helping with the cars! She just helped with connectors under the seat when we did the seat bushings and wanted to do the oil change on the Toyota truck on her own.

Thanks for for all the tips everyone! Will most likely tackle it this weekend.

Aloha Jeff

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Got in there no luck unscrewing the plastic ring wife tried while I was pushing on the gauge no luck. Will have to disassemble a little more for better access or just leave it alone for now but it really bugs me when I'm driving around.

thanks for all the guidance!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Got in there no luck unscrewing the plastic ring wife tried while I was pushing on the gauge no luck. Will have to disassemble a little more for better access or just leave it alone for now but it really bugs me when I'm driving around.

thanks for all the guidance!
    Over time you'll develop a callus on your knuckle that will make hitting the gauge less painful
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I'm guessing it takes more strength than your wife can apply. You should be able to do it if you can get your hand in there. If voltage is in the middle, it makes it tough to get a grip--try removing the clock or oil temp first for better access.

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    I have the exact same problem on my '98 M and can't get the ring off. I already have a replacement meter, too. I really dislike that console design.
    2018 X4 M40i

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I'm guessing it takes more strength than your wife can apply. You should be able to do it if you can get your hand in there. If voltage is in the middle, it makes it tough to get a grip--try removing the clock or oil temp first for better access.

Ill try try this next if the problem continues.

Took the coupe out for some errands today and sitting at a stoplight looking at the gauge then started tapping on the face nothing at first then the needle starts to move a little, the faster I tapped the more it moved. Continued working the rest of the day We will see tomorrow if it was just a tease.

Aloha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Telecomtodd View Post
    I have the exact same problem on my '98 M and can't get the ring off. I already have a replacement meter, too. I really dislike that console design.
    Let me know if you find a trick to getting the ring loose.

I really like the design of the old VDO gauges I used back in my air cooled VW days. U mount with single finger nut, simple and easy to get at.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Can anyone tell me which fuse needs to be replaced for the volt gauge?

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    You mean, I just read through all that for nothin'?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    You mean, I just read through all that for nothin'?
    IIRC the heated seats are on fuse #5, but they're just listed inside the box lid.

Hey, at least I supplied some photos years ago of what piece to look for when removing. The other "contributors"...lifetime ban?
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Hey, at least I supplied some photos years ago of what piece to look for when removing. The other "contributors"...lifetime ban?
    The info you and others originally posted was great. I just thought that davekim67 could have asked his question without reviving a 3 year old post. Don't take me too seriously.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    Don't take me too seriously.
    Ditto! My reply was meant in jest. I read yours as the same. My favorite posts are when a single OP asks a question, gets no answer, figures it out herself/himself and replies to their own question thusly paying it forward. In my very first post ever on this site I asked how to replace the timing belt as a joke to gauge what type of personalities I'd be dealing with. Well, that was 5 years ago, and I'm still here. Great group!
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Well, that was 5 years ago, and I'm still here. Great group!
    Yeah, I like it here.