Thread: convertible top does not open

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4

convertible top does not open

hi everyone, hoping someone here can help me, I have a 2005 z4 that the top does not open. If I manually open, I can command it to close and it will. At first it didn't want to open and close, I took out the whole convertible top along with the motor, the motor was bad and the hinges were leaking. I replaced the motor and both left and right hinges and re-assembled. I can use a jumper box to fully extend the top and reverse and the top works. Once I install it to the vehicle and connect it to the harness and module , I get a blinking red light, command it to close and it will close, but when I command it to open , it does nothing. I installed the shelf top to make sure the switch is being pressed and still nothing. Any further advice, tips or steps would be great.

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    I've read of cases where the switch was not closing or broken. That's most likely your problem.

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4
    Thank you RJ237, I forgot post this , but I did see your message and I went out and bought a switch and replaced it. but still not working, I'm running out of ideas and running low on hope. Getting tired of messing with this. thank you though for the advice. what else can it be.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The mechanism of the soft-top stowage compartment base consists of twin hinges with
    adjuster handles and gas dampers. The stowage compartment base is at its lowest position when the soft-top is stowed. When the soft-top is raised, the variable-position soft-top stowage compartment base can be manually raised to the upper position from inside the trunk. This provides additional trunk space so that bulky items such as groceries, golf bags, luggage can fit.
    The soft-top can only be lowered when the stowage compartment base is at its lowest position.
    The base has a microswitch that monitors its position, preventing the top from opening when in the upper position. The stowage compartment base can be moved to the upper or lower position by turning the adjuster handles. Gas dampers incorporated in the two stowage compartment base mechanisms hold the stowage compartment base at the respective limits of movement.
    http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techart...mall/pic01.jpg

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Maybe it's time to confirm switches and wiring are good.
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4
    thank you everybody for the advice and help , I'm happy to say I finally found the problem, turned out to be a hall effect sensor on the left hinge that wasn't reading. it was broken from a previous repair and I didn't pay much attention to it when I did the hinges. I replaced the bad sensor and installed , now everything is working BEAUTIFULLY.