Thread: WANTED : BMW TECH THAT CAN DIAGNOISE E38 750IL DMEs

My Cars
    1999 750il, 1995 325i, 1995 trans am, 1985 corvett

WANTED : BMW TECH THAT CAN DIAGNOISE E38 750IL DMEs

Hi all,

Long time poster needing help on diagnosing what I believe is a DME issue on my 1999 750il...build date 11/98.

After testing the ABS pumps using an AUTEL 908TS scanner...the SES light came on and in an attempt to fix it..I used the Autel scanner to reset the adaptations on both DMEs and the tranny computer (AGS).
    The SES light remained on and the engine had a severe loss of power..as if it was running on 6 of the 12 cylinders. The car does start and run but just a severe lack of power. The only code is torque imbalance.

I have replaced ther following parts in the past 4 years...2 new Bosch MAFs, all 4 Bosch 02s, both dist caps, rotors new plugs and wires 1 crank sensor. Car ran fine before I hooked up the Autel scanner and tested the ABS pumps and later ended up resetting both DMEs and the AGS. I also tried disconnecting both batteries and having var sit overnight in hopes of the modules resetting themselves. I have always believed that my resetting the DMEs and the AGS would require that they simply need to be resynced again in order to work properly.

Took it to the BMW dealership....and they claim they were NOT able to read DME #2 at all using their software (they used both the new and 10 year software)...Since they were only able to read DME #1..they suggested that I have them swap the DMEs and reflash them both. I agreed since that made sense to me. Same issue...unable to read DME2. Now the dealer claims they are not sure why their computers are unable to read DME 2 and want me to pay $2600 to replace both throttles!!

Of course I declined since they have no reason to believe its the throttles....they even verified that both throttle plates move freely and are not binding. They say they gave checked the grounds, relays and fuses to each DME but still are unable to get a reading from DME2.
    If there is anyone on this forum able to assist...I will gladly pay for your services.. Please contact me on 646 265 9346. I have several threads here under e38 regarding this issue.

Thanks
    Rick

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Sounds like you have no power to the 2nd DME. I would start chasing the relays, fuses, and wiring to it. Multimeter + wiring diagram is your best friend in this case.

Also this is the tuning subforum (not tune up, not ECU repairs), so you will have very reduced chances.

Also, pulling the battery doesn't reset any of the modules, don't waste your time.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S